Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: SuperChargers will charge faster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this video he mentions boosting power levels to 120KW http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/29780151

It left me with the question if they want to get some experience before raising the level, or if in some way they are doing research about how to do it (if there are different possibilities). And if it will be software only, or involves changes to the Superchargers (and/or the car, but it didn't sound like it did).

It sounds like 120 kw is possible with the current Model S. In another thread, some were suggesting that a different battery layout would be necessary to boost the voltage, but now it is sounding like this is not the case.

More time and testing are needed to determine long term impacts on battery life. Glad to see they are working on the SC technology!

It sounds like 120 kw is possible with the current Model S. In another thread, some were suggesting that a different battery layout would be necessary to boost the voltage, but now it is sounding like this is not the case.
Voltage or Current makes a big difference. More current is always possible without changing the pack, but it might make the battery wear out a faster and might overheat it. More voltage however would require changing the pack configuration (which might be possible on the fly with contactors inside the car, but I doubt it).

I think the idea with the Superchargers is that you won't need to Range charge. They're supposed to be spaced so that isn't necessary. Of course the network hasn't been built out very far yet.

Uhh, careful, we're not there yet. And this is specifically one of the reasons people were lambasting Mr. Broder. That he didn't range charge when he could have.

Uhh, careful, we're not there yet. And this is specifically one of the reasons people were lambasting Mr. Broder. That he didn't range charge when he could have.
Doug's statement was about the future. Tesla is missing a SuperCharger station just south of NYC, which makes the jump from Delaware to Connecticut 50 miles longer than the 100-150 mile optimal spacing targeted by Tesla. With a mature network, the only time you'll need to Range charge at a SuperCharger is when you know you're about to go "off network," i.e. into the wilds of Maine or the Upper Peninsula.