Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon; The Y Needs this update..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh sorry to hear that!

Cross-traffic alerts aren't really for stationary objects like a sign post; it is for moving objects like pedestrians or vehicles moving into the space you're trying to back into. But given your incident, does that mean that Tesla also lacks backup alerts (where it beeps quicker and quicker as you get closer to a stationary object)?
I think so.

Like all Teslas, it doesn't have them. Well, technically there's a way to tell on the center screen, but you're not looking at the screen when changing lanes so isn't really of much use.
I actually answered my own question - according to the manual you can turn on a warning chime for the blind spot. From that I infer that the default is 'No Chime'.

• Informative
Reactions: blissdancer
I actually answered my own question - according to the manual you can turn on a warning chime for the blind spot. From that I infer that the default is 'No Chime'.
That's the AUTOPILOT blind spot chime. You're all talking about detecting CROSS TRAFFIC in the rear of the MY. The Autopilot blind spot chime will not even be active when in reverse.

I also drive a 2020 X. I marvel at the backup cross-traffic warning that my wife's Toyota has. It's great. Like the other poster, backing out of a spot with pickups on each side is so crazy sometimes. In some areas people drive like maniacs in the parking lot. I was surprised (disappointed really) at this being missing in my $100,000+ 2020 high tech car.

I have no idea how they are planning to achieve self driving if the car doesn't know if it'll get hit while backing up. Boggles my mind.

Also to hijack this thread I am disappointed that I can't have that birds eye view of the car while parking. I've already scraped 3/4 rims getting around my extremely tight underground parking lot.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Elon will come out next year announcing cross traffic option as big innovation and progress in auto industry and everybody will say how great is technology these days.
Imagine if Tesla`s had some sort of cross traffic,bird eye, camera updates at their launch like every other ,manufacturer, he wouldn't have the reason to use his tweet anymore