Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon; The Y Needs this update..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confession time. I embarrassingly assumed that my MY *had* rear cross traffic alert capability. With all the advanced technology in the car it seemed nonsensical to think that it was missing such a basic feature. In fact, I've been pseudo relying on it's ability to warn me of moving traffic behind me. :eek:

I haven't hit any moving cars behind me (yet) but this thread has opened my eyes and made me more aware of the limitations of my car. So, thank you all.

Last time I checked a sign post was not considered cross traffic. If you looked at your backup camera you should have seen it.
My last three cars had a system where it would beep if I was about to back into something. Call it whatever you want. What if my backup cam wasn’t working as is very often the case.

Cross traffic warning when backing up. There are some wicked blind spots on the Y that the camera does not cover when backing up. Please add the cross traffic alert upgrade that you promised months ago!
Absolutely, although not just for the Model Y. I'd like to have it on my new Model S, as well. Short term solution would be to activate 4-way flashers ANYTIME the car is in reverse. I know, I know, this may be redundant with the white back-up lights but any thing we can do to avoid a collision is good. Currently I do this manually but it may be possible to add the feature with software although, since the 4-way flashers are a U.S. federal mandated feature, perhaps not.

My last three cars had a system where it would beep if I was about to back into something. Call it whatever you want. What if my backup cam wasn’t working as is very often the case.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Tesla backup camera tell you how many feet/inches you are from an object? Maybe it will do it for a car or a wall but not a sign post? Don't have my MY yet, but I seem to remember seeing it when I was backing the MY I test drove into the parking spot.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Tesla backup camera tell you how many feet/inches you are from an object? Maybe it will do it for a car or a wall but not a sign post? Don't have my MY yet, but I seem to remember seeing it when I was backing the MY I test drove into the parking spot.
The backup camera usually does, but in my case the camera doesn’t always work.