Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon thinks those that pre-ordered Model3 pre reveal will see cars before 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it say What's Next when you login to My Tesla? Mine does.

Your Model 3 was reserved on 3/31/2016. You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation.

You know that'd be pretty funny if it was actually based on the date and not the actual reservation order. That would mean those people who stood in line did so for nothing.

Not nothing. EM promised a small token for showing up, which I hope arrives soon. The curious can check out rambling thead for guesses.

you'll be invited to configure based on your order date.....

all of the other factors (Previous owner, geographic, RHD, option level, whether or not you stood in line) will still come in to play on when you actually GET the car.

Pre-orders will still get their cars before someone walking into a Tesla store today.

Don't confuse configuration with delivery.

You know that'd be pretty funny if it was actually based on the date and not the actual reservation order. That would mean those people who stood in line did so for nothing.
I take "date" to mean time/date-stamp of your reservation. Either way, there are so many other factors (employees, current Tesla owners, West Coast US residents, highly optioned cars) that will impact the actual delivery date beyond just the reservation date. However, given the same set of other factors, it would make sense to reserve early rather than late. I don't think we'll really know how much or whether standing in line will help improve a particular individual's delivery sequence.

I stood in line because it was the one thing I could do (prior to configuration) that may help improve my chances of getting my car earlier and possibly qualifying for the Federal tax credit. I also wanted to be part of what I sensed would be an historic moment and I was not disappointed. The excitement in the crowd was palpable and I really enjoyed chatting with other people in line and telling quizzical passersby that we're waiting to order a car and not an iPhone. So, no, waiting in line wasn't for nothing. :)

EDIT: @ModelNforNerd explained it better in terms of the difference between the configuration event and delivery event.

Reactions: pmich80