TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon thinks those that pre-ordered Model3 pre reveal will see cars before 2018

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by model3fan, May 7, 2016.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Mine doesn't have a "What's Next?" section. Hrm.

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Does it say What's Next when you login to My Tesla? Mine does.

You know that'd be pretty funny if it was actually based on the date and not the actual reservation order. That would mean those people who stood in line did so for nothing.

3. McHoffa

McHoffa EV.network

Except that 115k preorders figure included all countries. I think he meant all preorders in the US would go out in 2017, which would be significantly less and much more doable.

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Maybe because you are already an S owner?

5. ttupper92618

ttupper92618 Member

^ This. This seems to be the common denominator.

6. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

That was my thought as well. I'm not a current Tesla owner, but @MrJones390 and @brianman are.

7. landis

landis Supporting Member

Not nothing. EM promised a small token for showing up, which I hope arrives soon. The curious can check out rambling thead for guesses.

8. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

you'll be invited to configure based on your order date.....

all of the other factors (Previous owner, geographic, RHD, option level, whether or not you stood in line) will still come in to play on when you actually GET the car.

Pre-orders will still get their cars before someone walking into a Tesla store today.

Don't confuse configuration with delivery.

9. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I take "date" to mean time/date-stamp of your reservation. Either way, there are so many other factors (employees, current Tesla owners, West Coast US residents, highly optioned cars) that will impact the actual delivery date beyond just the reservation date. However, given the same set of other factors, it would make sense to reserve early rather than late. I don't think we'll really know how much or whether standing in line will help improve a particular individual's delivery sequence.

I stood in line because it was the one thing I could do (prior to configuration) that may help improve my chances of getting my car earlier and possibly qualifying for the Federal tax credit. I also wanted to be part of what I sensed would be an historic moment and I was not disappointed. The excitement in the crowd was palpable and I really enjoyed chatting with other people in line and telling quizzical passersby that we're waiting to order a car and not an iPhone. So, no, waiting in line wasn't for nothing. :)

EDIT: @ModelNforNerd explained it better in terms of the difference between the configuration event and delivery event.

• Like x 1
  10. landis

landis Supporting Member

#90 landis, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    I get the whole configuration bit.

BTW, @ModelNforNerd, this nerd was referring to some token of appreciation as tweeted by EM, and as also noted by BluestarE3 in the thread at "Who pre-ordered before the car was seen?"

• Funny x 1