Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon to Keynote Satellite Conference in March

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
March 9-12, 2020 in Washington DC, Elon will be the keynote speaker at this conference: SATELLITE 2020

Believe it or not, I found out about this in a random Internet ad on an unrelated blog. I think that's the first time in 10 years that I actually clicked on an ad.

Anyways, if I were anywhere near DC then (unlikely) I would go, could be interesting since SpaceX will be taking over not only the launch market, but satellite production as well. The ways things go in Elon world, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him actually manufacturing the entire frigging Martian colony in 15 years. SpaceX will become a slumlord :)

You know, he's set to become the world's richest man at $175B net worth just based on his Tesla ownership?

Tesla (TSLA) stock rally grows Elon Musk's fortune by $9 billion - Electrek

Hopefully his presentation will be live-streamed, or at least available afterwards as a webcast.

Elon is going to need every billion he can muster to establish the Martian colony, as it will require potentially hundreds of Starships launched over many decades and a lot of very expensive cargo. In fact the cost of the cargo will likely far exceed the cost of building the rockets.

But I digress. I’m excited to hear what Elon will say in March. By then there will be hundreds of Starlinks in operation!

Reactions: Grendal
Hopefully his presentation will be live-streamed, or at least available afterwards as a webcast.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on it. Satellite (and the other conferences, like SmallSat, etc.) are super tradeshow-ey where the point is to make money on administrative fees from companies that are sending representatives and booths. Basically no casual 'fans' attend satellite conferences. Boosting attendance is the whole point of having Elon keynote--its going to be a huge draw at a time where its harder and harder to convince one's company that they should attend, and making the keynote available will impact the in-person draw.

Just so we're all calibrated:
Pricing & Registration - SATELLITE 2020

The good new is that there's a lot of press that reports throughout the day at the big conventions. Caleb will surely have a solid summary of Elon's keynote on SpaceNews within an hour.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on it. Satellite (and the other conferences, like SmallSat, etc.) are super tradeshow-ey where the point is to make money on administrative fees from companies that are sending representatives and booths. Basically no casual 'fans' attend satellite conferences. Boosting attendance is the whole point of having Elon keynote--its going to be a huge draw at a time where its harder and harder to convince one's company that they should attend, and making the keynote available will impact the in-person draw.

The good new is that there's a lot of press that reports throughout the day at the big conventions. Caleb will surely have a solid summary of Elon's keynote on SpaceNews within an hour.
Maybe Elon agreed to give the keynote to save on the registration fee.;)

Huh, looks like Boeing designed their web site
The following registration packages are available for SATELLITE 2019:

Maybe Elon agreed to give the keynote to save on the registration fee.;)

I was a featured speaker at SmallSat and had to pay full price. :mad:

Wyler was the keynote and he brought his kids and wife (no doubt for free) cause, ‘screw you I’m bringing my family and I’m not paying for them’. :confused:

Certainly SpaceX is paying many tens of thousands in registration fees for their people to attend plus their booth space, though I’m sure Elon is free.

Reactions: Grendal