Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully current owners can reserve first, ideally in order of their VIN. The number of reservations will be insane.

I'm all for supporting Tesla but as a non-owner I'd be rather pissed that I couldn't be able to place a per-order on the mass market car that will cement Tesla's name in history. It would alienate the masses that are truly waiting for this killer car.

However, part of me would like a Signature model but in the end, it's just a car that devaluates like every other car. It's not like Signature Model S's are worth more than the others are...

I have every expectation that there will be a lot of "us vs. them" drama. This product is going to be hot, and more consequential than Model X.

Think of Willy Wonka's golden tickets and multiply by 10!!!

I don't think that they'd be able to get good economies of scale if they only build 50 Model 3s. Resale value would hold up, though.

The good news is that due to the smaller size, the German demand will be quite low so there'll be more left for the Americans.

We will place our order as soon as possible to replace my wife's Fiat 500e. The lease on the Fiat 500e runs out in 2017 so we may have to make do with one car for awhile unless we can extend the Fiat 500e lease on a month to month basis. There is no going back to an ICE for us.

Previous owners (Roadster and S) kinda did get a priority -- if you showed up at the unveil event you could literally be first (or second, in the case of one person active on these boards) in line to place a deposit.

Kinda tempted to do that for myself, tho also a bit tempted to just wait it out. The 2020 Model 3 might be the car for me. :smile:

I'm sure the only people who will be invited to the Model 3 event will be current owners so the same will happen. But it's not like there will be 100,000 people at the event you would be behind once website preorders open.

I love my model s, but wouldn't mind a smaller, sportier vehicle. May put down a deposit and wait and see

My guess is they'll follow the ~50% less trend.... $20k down for a sig; $2500 down for a general reservation... but I'd love to hear Elon confirm that expectation...

I have been wondering about the deposit. If this is an EV for the masses, much of the masses won't have $2500-$5000 to put down and just wait. If they purchase the Model 3 like they purchase any other car, they put down, trade-in and drive off. Maybe I'm missing the point, but I know quite a few who will be able to stretch and make payments on the Model 3 (If $35,000k), but plunking $2500-$5000 at once without any direct return would be a stress. $2500 would be more reasonable than $5000, but I'm hoping it's less. People will need to have some skin in the game, however; I understand that.

Last edited:
Hopefully current owners can reserve first, ideally in order of their VIN. The number of reservations will be insane.

Come on guys, stop hogging all the cool stuff!

As a Model 3 hopeful who can't afford an S (or rather, can't afford it without deprioritizing children's education, house renovations, etc) - I hope it's open to all as first-come, first-serve. I appreciate you guys funding the R&D on the Model 3, but if current owners have to wait a little longer for your second awesome EV so that those of us who really really want one but can't swing the current Tesla lineup can get the same access, well...I can live with that.

Come on guys, stop hogging all the cool stuff!

As a Model 3 hopeful who can't afford an S (or rather, can't afford it without deprioritizing children's education, house renovations, etc) - I hope it's open to all as first-come, first-serve. I appreciate you guys funding the R&D on the Model 3, but if current owners have to wait a little longer for your second awesome EV so that those of us who really really want one but can't swing the current Tesla lineup can get the same access, well...I can live with that.

I'm afraid it's inevitable that Tesla will prioritize higher-spec versions at first, especially since if it's anywhere near on time they wouldn't have passed the 200k sales mark for the S and X in the USA at the time of release.

I'll be interested to see how Tesla attempts to maximize the value of the tax credit. It would make sense to build up the run rate with prioritization of exports to other countries, and then hit the 200k mark with massive US prioritization including a limited-spec base model that would be most attractive to people buying up where the incentives make the greatest difference.

Wait till the unwashed masses start "hogging" the super chargers ;)
Yes I have always thought that the free super chargers was the weak link in the Tesla marketing plan. It will be interesting to see how they deal with much larger customer numbers.

In the mean time, I am really looking forward to 2016 and any details on the Model 3 design.

I have been wondering about the deposit. If this is an EV for the masses, much of the masses won't have $2500-$5000 to put down and just wait. If they purchase the Model 3 like they purchase any other car, they put down, trade-in and drive off. Maybe I'm missing the point, but I know quite a few who will be able to stretch and make payments on the Model 3 (If $35,000k), but plunking $2500-$5000 at once without any direct return would be a stress. $2500 would be more reasonable than $5000, but I'm hoping it's less. People will need to have some skin in the game, however; I understand that.

Fair point, but that should be no reason to NOT accept reservations from those who can and want to.

I'm all for supporting Tesla but as a non-owner I'd be rather pissed that I couldn't be able to place a per-order on the mass market car that will cement Tesla's name in history. It would alienate the masses that are truly waiting for this killer car.
Everyone will be able to pre-order on day 1. No different than Model S. However, they kept 3 reservation lists. Signature was first, then General Production for Roadster owners (the only "current owners at the time"), then general production for everyone else. There is a good reason that they did it this way that they may continue for Model 3. The early runs of Model 3 will have problems. Heck, even 100+ year old car companies have troubles when launching new models and Tesla's learning curve is steeper. Current owners are much more inclined to put up with these kinds of teething problems than someone for whom this is their first EV or Tesla. So there's a very real business reason for letting current owners "jump the line."
It's going to be the same as Model S. Before production starts and/or while there is a backlog of orders they will require a deposit. And the deposit will likely be sizeable just to make sure they have the serious people. Nissan's launch of the Leaf was a disaster. By only requiring $100 deposit they had a massive amount of cancellations which really affected their forecasting and such.

Now with Model S you can walk in and buy one off the lot or walk in and order/configure a custom car for pretty quick delivery. So there will be a lot of drama leading up to production and the first 6-8 months of production but it'll calm down after that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I have always thought that the free super chargers was the weak link in the Tesla marketing plan. It will be interesting to see how they deal with much larger customer numbers.

In the mean time, I am really looking forward to 2016 and any details on the Model 3 design.
They can simply make SC access expensive by either charging a lot for it up front or charging per use. They already know who/when everyone SCs so they could just send Model 3 owners a bill each month for use.

Just curious. Couple of you folks who are current Model S owners are saying you're going to buy Model 3s. Would this be as a second car? Or "downgrading?" Model S too big for your needs/tastes? Some other reason I'm not thinking of atm?

Here's my plan: First Model 3 is a second car, to replace existing GTI. (Knock wood that it will really be an adequate replacement, in terms of being small enough. Fun to drive is almost a given.) If it delivers a driving experience on par with the Model S, quite possibly to be followed by a second Model 3 to replace existing Model S which is a bigger car than I'd have preferred.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait till the unwashed masses start "hogging" the super chargers ;)

This is a very common refrain. I'm comfortable with "Tesla aren't idiots, they'll cover this angle either by using the increased revenues to build out the SC network as needed, or some other way."