TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by boaterva, Mar 24, 2017.

1. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

#1 boaterva, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2017
    My reading of his tweets today is that there is no HUD planned, and that the center display is all we get. Thoughts? He clearly says their is no new technology that is not in an S or X and/or that a consumer would notice (as opposed to production line improvements).

RWD-HUD1.jpg RWD-HUD2.jpg

• Informative x 8
    • Like x 2
  2. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Bummer

• Like x 2
  3. electracity

electracity Active Member

Could be a basic HUD

It doesn't face the consumer. It faces the windshield :)

• Funny x 12
    • Like x 2
  4. mikevbf

mikevbf Active Member

Except the batteries that might be able to charge at a significantly faster rate. The ability to faster super charge is the update I have my eye on now.

• Like x 3
  5. boaterva

#5 boaterva, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2017
    Lol... good one.

Here's another tweet with one screen (and, yes, HUD isn't a screen... or a display or a... but it's 'new tech'.):

Model3-S.jpg

6. boaterva

Yes, I think we all agree it has 2170 batteries/battery pack. I call that part of the production improvements/tech he mentioned that the normal consumer wouldn't notice.

I think we can say no one here at TMC is normal. :)

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  7. mwenn1

mwenn1 Member

James Locke @arctechinc
    @elonmusk so does this mean no heads up display in Model 3? How will Tesla handle speedometer and Instrument Cluster information?

Follow
    [​IMG]Elon Musk

✔@elonmusk

@arctechinc The more autonomous a car is, the less dash info you need. How often do you look at the instrument panel when being driven in a taxi?

8. Alketi

Alketi Member

Yeah, not sure how this jives with the "spaceship controls" that he mentioned previously... Where are those? I was hoping that "no new tech" meant the S/X could still get the HUD first.

• Like x 5
  9. Haxster

Haxster Member

The BMW Mini's had the speedo in the center of the dash. The M3 could do the same.. put it and other "instrument cluster" info in the center display.

MS and MX buyers would not be happy if a head up display showed up in the M3 before theirs...and the M3 will be here soon.

Although predictions of when ANY Teslas will be truly autonomous may be optimistic, current traffic-aware cruise control on both city streets and highways significantly reduces the practical need to look at the speedo.

10. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Who uses cruise control on city streets with interspersed traffic signals? I don't like the thought of getting a crick in the neck just to look at the speedometer.

• Like x 4
  11. Buddy

Buddy Member

if only we could shift our eyes without moving our necks...

• Funny x 27
    • Like x 6
    • Love x 1
  12. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Saw that and thought, I'm not purchasing a taxi. I buying a car that I want to drive.

• Like x 12
  13. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

This is all starting to make more sense to me. I was always a little confused by all this talk about new technology rumors, when Elon stated a while ago that he had no intention of introducing new technology into the Model 3 that wasn't already in the current lineup.

What I fear at this point, however, is that the car will be too bland and will not be able to compete with other ICE cars in similar price/performance ranges. We shall see, I guess.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 2
  14. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

I already do that in a Prius, but the information is actually back in the dashboard, unlike the Model 3 where it's much further forward on that awkward monitor and much more peripheral as a result.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. uuz3

uuz3 Member

Tesla had so good elements and momentum, but todays tweets are dropping the ball in wrong direction for me.. :/

At this point, their hands are propably heavily restricted by capital markets, but regardless they made some bad decisions and assumptions regarding market needs earlier (ex. i know 7 people in line for 3 and nobody would pay a dime for autonomous features).

Personally most likely have to cancel and move my interest to competitor products which are pouring in 2019-2020.

So disapointed

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 3
  16. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I get that. But this car won't be fully autonomous for awhile, if ever. And even if it will be, not everyone will purchase those features. In 5 years that reasoning might make complete sense. But as of today, meh.

• Like x 11
  17. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

In regards to the interior, i think it's a very valid concern. A barren, non-premium interior, awkward interior might not sell well in this segment.

• Like x 3
  18. electracity

electracity Active Member

Let me paraphrase Musk's recent tweets:

Here is a video of the model 3. You don't want this POS. Buy the model S! If you must have the model 3, it will be basic. It will be delivered in a tent.

The man has changed since he sat down with Trump :)

• Funny x 10
    • Like x 3
  19. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

That's excactly how I read them

• Like x 1
  20. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

Maybe Elon doesn't want to kill sales of the Model S before the Model 3 is available. Anyway it's the drivetrain that sells the car not the HUD or the touchscreen. I think it's mostly only the nerds on here that really care about a HUD. Most people don't want video game graphics going on in their view through the windshield.

• Like x 1