Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still not convinced there's enough room on one 15" screen to display all the crap people like to see and have access to when driving.

You've got the time, outside temperature, inside temperature, battery temperature, tire pressure, odo, speedo, range, energy usage, media, maps, autopilot, charge information, cruise control, headlights, high beams, turning signals, trip meters, all sorts of warning light indicators like seatbelt, check engine (?)...
You honestly look at all of that while you're driving? When do you ever look at the road? What use could half of that actually serve while you're driving?

You honestly look at all of that while you're driving? When do you ever look at the road? What use could half of that actually serve while you're driving?
Yep, for example, automatic transmission cars have had tachometers for years. What were we doing, auditing the shift points? And who needs to know all 4 tire pressures at all times. Capability to check daily and alerts for low would be plenty.

I do appreciate the value of info that helps you with minute to minute driving. That's why I liked the original power consumption/regen speedo on the Model S.

This is all about good design. Let's see what they come up with.

I think the paranoia on this thread is that Tesla will take the 3 instrumentation too far and prematurely towards self driving, where just about everything becomes like the tach on an automatic transmission car. Hope they remember that a) some of us like to drive, and b) we will all be driving for many years yet as technology matures and regulation brews.

I think the paranoia on this thread is that Tesla will take the 3 instrumentation too far and prematurely towards self driving, where just about everything becomes like the tach on an automatic transmission car. Hope they remember that a) some of us like to drive, and b) we will all be driving for many years yet as technology matures and regulation brews.
Comments like "You won't care." and "How often do you look at the instrument panel when being driven in a taxi?" don't inspire confidence.

I do actually. Ever accidentally pop on your high beams when turning? Most people notice right away because you see the light on your dash in front of you. If it's way off to the side, I can see myself missing that as I proceed to blind a few cars.

Ever have your music blasting and forget to turn a turn signal off after changing lanes? Less likely to notice when it's wayyyy over to the side.

If you're running late and are constantly checking the time, do you want to be constantly looking pretty much at the passenger since the time is on the upper right corner of the screen?

Energy usage is fun to monitor like your tach. You can get real time feedback to how you're driving. This becomes harder and more dangerous the more out of your line of sight the gauge is. I've got a scan gauge and had it mounted in pretty much the same spot as the Model 3 speedo and I have actually noticed myself drifting in and out of lanes as I'm trying to optimize my mpg. I mounted it on the dash and haven't had problems since.

I like having my odo and trip meter right in front of me. Sometimes I'll wonder, "how far have I gone? Oh, nice." Now I have to dig through nested menus to find either. Presumably I'll be able to configure the screen to display both of those to limit the digging, but like I said before, once I've got everything I want visible for convenience's sake, the screen will be toolbar city. Hell, I may not even have the customization I'm envisioning.

The list goes on...

I do actually. Ever accidentally pop on your high beams when turning? Most people notice right away because you see the light on your dash in front of you. If it's way off to the side, I can see myself missing that as I proceed to blind a few cars.

Ever have your music blasting and forget to turn a turn signal off after changing lanes? Less likely to notice when it's wayyyy over to the side.

If you're running late and are constantly checking the time, do you want to be constantly looking pretty much at the passenger since the time is on the upper right corner of the screen?

Energy usage is fun to monitor like your tach. You can get real time feedback to how you're driving. This becomes harder and more dangerous the more out of your line of sight the gauge is. I've got a scan gauge and had it mounted in pretty much the same spot as the Model 3 speedo and I have actually noticed myself drifting in and out of lanes as I'm trying to optimize my mpg. I mounted it on the dash and haven't had problems since.

I like having my odo and trip meter right in front of me. Sometimes I'll wonder, "how far have I gone? Oh, nice." Now I have to dig through nested menus to find either. Presumably I'll be able to configure the screen to display both of those to limit the digging, but like I said before, once I've got everything I want visible for convenience's sake, the screen will be toolbar city. Hell, I may not even have the customization I'm envisioning.

The list goes on...
You may be an outlier.

Comments like "You won't care." and "How often do you look at the instrument panel when being driven in a taxi?" don't inspire confidence.
But delivery track record so far does, so chill maybe? Someone's going to blast that, but in the big picture, first new us car mfg in ages, market share leader in first volume segment. Pretty good. It won't be awful.

I dI

The list goes on...

You may be an outlier.
I agree.

Honestly @eisbock The only thing you mentioned that I occasionally do is look at my clock when I'm running late. I can see me looking at the regen and power info when I've got my model 3 but all the rest of it can sit to the side or on different screens.

My experience after nearly 3 years of ownership is that regen and power info is a bit pointless, it adds some aesthetic shine, but you end up just driving the car so it will be what it will be. (A bit like the example of a tachometer in an automatic car)

The biggest issue I can see with lack of a dash display is how the steering wheel controls work.

My experience is I use these more than the touchscreen whilst on the move. Having the scroll wheels distant from the UI doesn't seem very ergonomic to me.

Maybe I'm an outlier here, but personally I use the touchscreen very little, the dash and the scroll wheels being my main point of interaction whilst driving.

Maybe Tesla can reconsider this, even if it's an option pack of a dash screen and steering wheel controls.

Reactions: davidc18
Regarding the HUD topic, what I hate the most is not losing the speed, but all the things you can add in the Model S little screen, like music, maps, tyres pressure..

Exactly my thoughts. Too much focus on HUD, but I will miss being able to configure the small screen to monitor music, maps, tire pressure etc. I may end up keeping my S longer to see if the 3 offers more features in 2018 or 2019.

Reactions: smac

The list goes on...

It might be good idea to wait until we get to see the final interface before saying what it lacks.

Reactions: tomas
The biggest issue I can see with lack of a dash display is how the steering wheel controls work.
Solution? No buttons or controls on the steering wheel. :p I joke, but I am about 80% sure there won't be a single button on the steering wheel. Most older cars do not have any buttons since they are not required. Elon wants simple, so he will make the car as simple as possible. Anything you can control from the steering wheel can be controlled from the central screen, regardless of how dangerous it might be.

You want a good interface between controls and display feedback? Put it all on the same screen. This is what we're gonna end up with and a lot of people won't be happy. It's like we're going back in time in car interior interface technology.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
Solution? No buttons or controls on the steering wheel. :p I joke, but I am about 80% sure there won't be a single button on the steering wheel

And frankly that would be a retrograde step from even the most econo of econoboxes.

Now longer term when we get to level 5 autonomy, and the voice recognition works _much_ better than in the S, lose the buttons, but right now IMO they are still needed.

Reactions: Big-T
Solution? No buttons or controls on the steering wheel. :p I joke, but I am about 80% sure there won't be a single button on the steering wheel. Most older cars do not have any buttons since they are not required. Elon wants simple, so he will make the car as simple as possible. Anything you can control from the steering wheel can be controlled from the central screen, regardless of how dangerous it might be.

You want a good interface between controls and display feedback? Put it all on the same screen. This is what we're gonna end up with and a lot of people won't be happy. It's like we're going back in time in car interior interface technology.

Tesla buys in the steering wheel and it'll not make any difference to vehicle assembly so there's no reason to remove the buttons from the wheel.

And frankly that would be a retrograde step from even the most econo of econoboxes.

Now longer term when we get to level 5 autonomy, and the voice recognition works _much_ better than in the S, lose the buttons, but right now IMO they are still needed.
This is the steering wheel in the cheapest car you can buy: Nissan Versa

upload_2017-4-5_13-41-7.png

I actually very worried that Tesla's $35k steering wheel will look like this without the buttons.

I mean, it would be no different than my crappy 98' Camry right now so I probably wouldn't be too bothered by it beyond the fact that I spent $35k+ on a car with steering wheel from 1998.

And honestly regarding the voice recognition, that *sugar* can frig right off. I don't want to have to talk to my car to make it work. Sometimes you just don't feel like talking or you're sick and don't want to have to talk. It's extra effort that I just don't want to do. I like the silence and serenity of it all, especially with an EV. I don't want to be constantly arguing with my car. And what about music? I have to turn that down so I can tell it to change songs? Ridiculous.

It's like these newfangled motion-controlled videogames. I want to sit on my couch and not move while I blow people's heads off. I don't want to exercise. I don't want to jump around like a loon or wave my arms.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher and Big-T
I have one of these in the family fleet:

DSC01418.jpg

It's the Skoda version of the VW Up!. Not a bad little car, but all the plastics are hard, the drivers door card has only one electric window switch (you have to lean over to operate the passenger side window, etc. etc.). It cost < £10k. For what it is a tiny city no frills run-around it's great (to the point I'll sometimes take it rather than the Tesla if I know parking is going to be tight).

However if someone tried to sell me an interior like this for £35k I'd laugh at them

buys in the steering wheel
Not sure what you mean by this.

If you're referring to the steering wheel as a purchased part, mechanical buttons will still add cost. Elon seems hellbent on making this the cheapest car possible, so any cost in buttons you can eliminate on the assembly side of either Tesla or the supplier will lower the cost.

Plus I seem to remember in one of the videos the guy said something like the Model 3 was designed so that there would be no mechanical buttons in the car. I'm sure there may still be a couple that might be regulation-driven like the hazard lights though. There will probably be door buttons for locking and unlocking, but maybe not.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher