Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not defending that screen in any way, but that picture appears to be taken from the height of the driver's chin.
Additionally, even at that height the top of the screen appears to be in line with the bottom of the windshield. Not exactly the best example of obstruction, unless that refers to obstructing the view of the top of the dash.

Additionally, even at that height the top of the screen appears to be in line with the bottom of the windshield. Not exactly the best example of obstruction, unless that refers to obstructing the view of the top of the dash.
I have looked at almost all the pictures of the dash. I then sat in my S and tried to picture how it worked. The part of the screen that has the speedo is approximately where my dash vent is. To me it actually seems easier to have it here rather than buried behind the wheel. The part where the map/ whatever is is about where the map is in my car. No problem. More importantly, the screen appears to be maybe 2 inches closer to the driver. To me this is huge! I have to stretch to reach the S screen and not this one. Tesla couldn't do this with an in dash screen as the dash would make the car claustrophobic. I personally consider this to be one of the best parts of the car!

It's less a practical obstruction (until the stories of knee-smashing start pouring in), but rather an aesthetic disruption. It's jarring, especially with the sharp corners on an otherwise aerodynamic and softly-shapen car both inside and out. It goes against Tesla's design language. And from the pictures I've seen, it does "crowd" the cabin and looks like an afterthought that doesn't belong.

It's less a practical obstruction (until the stories of knee-smashing start pouring in), but rather an aesthetic disruption. It's jarring, especially with the sharp corners on an otherwise aerodynamic and softly-shapen car both inside and out. It goes against Tesla's design language. And from the pictures I've seen, it does "crowd" the cabin and looks like an afterthought that doesn't belong.
I disagree. We will need to wait until we can actually see it. However, I do not find it "jarring" nor "crowd the cabin", and it certainly wasn't an afterthought.

Reactions: PaulJB and Red Sage
Then God help tall people.

This is one of my biggest concerns. What Tesla is doing isn't wrong or bad per se, but plain and simple, the interior isn't worth $35k. They're gonna get a lot of backlash trying to sell a car for $35k when it's got a $15k interior.

Absolutely. I cannot buy the 3 if the interior is crap. I'm not talking HUD/second display, either. That is over and done with. But if the dash and door panels are bland and ugly with cheap materials, Tesla will lose my reservation. I'm confident I wouldn't be the only one. I'm also confident that it'll turn off potential future buyers - those who may not be all that familiar with Tesla, or who haven't yet placed a reservation - that would otherwise be looking at an EV or an entry level luxury car.

People aren't paying $35000+ for the interior. They're paying it because they want a long range EV that's fun to drive. Just like people aren't paying $70000+ for the S interior. If a fancy interior was my priority I'd have bought a different car, but my priority was an EV. The Model 3 may not be for everyone, but Tesla will sell as many as they can make.

That is absurd. And the exact WRONG mindset to advance Tesla's goals and revenue. If aspects of your product are inferior to competitors, that should be fixed, not ignored and excused by "fans".

That is absurd. And the exact WRONG mindset to advance Tesla's goals and revenue. If aspects of your product are inferior to competitors, that should be fixed, not ignored and excused by "fans".
No car is best at everything. I agree that every car maker should always try to make the best possible cars when it comes to every possible aspect, but the fact is that they will always fail to some degree or other.

It's just a fact that all cars Tesla produce will have pros and cons. Up until now, and probably continuing into the future, the interior quality and interior feature sets of the vehicles Tesla has produced has been no better than acceptable. Barely that, even. Expecting revolutionary improvements when it comes to the Model 3 is to set oneself up for disappointment.

Still, I do think Tesla will have an interior of acceptable quality. I might not be the most fancy interior, but I think it will still be sufficiently good that it won't dissuade buyers. I think it will be minimalistic, but well executed.

Absolutely. I cannot buy the 3 if the interior is crap. I'm not talking HUD/second display, either. That is over and done with. But if the dash and door panels are bland and ugly with cheap materials, Tesla will lose my reservation. I'm confident I wouldn't be the only one. I'm also confident that it'll turn off potential future buyers - those who may not be all that familiar with Tesla, or who haven't yet placed a reservation - that would otherwise be looking at an EV or an entry level luxury car.
Just a little fun experiment (I'm not diminishing your opinion):

Absolutely. I cannot buy the 3 if the display is crap. I'm not talking interior, either. That is over and done with. But if the display is ugly with cheap materials, Tesla will lose my reservation. I'm confident I wouldn't be the only one. I'm also confident that it'll turn off potential future buyers - those who may not be all that familiar with Tesla, or who haven't yet placed a reservation - that would otherwise be looking at an EV or an entry level luxury car.

I would agree, but I think the screen kills the openness somewhat. Truly open would be an integrated dash, but having it on a stalk looks and feels like it's protruding into your personal space. You have an idea of what "open" feels like because you can see the dash behind the screen, so anything sticking out is "in the way". This is especially telling on that one interior alpha shot:

tesla-model-3-interior.jpg
If you want a feeling of openness, then get rid of that stupid center console... grumblegrumble *shakes fist at Elon-shaped cloud*

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
Just because it will have a simple clean interior doesn't mean that it will be made of cheap materials. Definitely if the interior is cheap it will turn off people, but if it is simple and elegant like the Model S interior, bring it on. I also expect the display to be high quality like the Model S (there, I talked about technology).

Reactions: Red Sage
Just because it will have a simple clean interior doesn't mean that it will be made of cheap materials. Definitely if the interior is cheap it will turn off people, but if it is simple and elegant like the Model S interior, bring it on. I also expect the display to be high quality like the Model S (there, I talked about technology).

I appreciate the overall package of the Model S screen, but every time I see a video of it, it seems just a tad slow in terms of animations, map loading, transitions, touch latency, and fluidity. It kind of looks like a mid-end Android phone versus a high-end iPhone (which is what I would expect).

I hope it's a priority. UI fluidity increases confidence; Apple has set the bar (at least for consumer electronics).

I appreciate the overall package of the Model S screen, but every time I see a video of it, it seems just a tad slow in terms of animations, map loading, transitions, touch latency, and fluidity. It kind of looks like a mid-end Android phone versus a high-end iPhone (which is what I would expect).

I hope it's a priority. UI fluidity increases confidence; Apple has set the bar (at least for consumer electronics).

I have a feeling that the new interface will not require you to touch the screen at all. Some of the controls, like the icons on the far right are just to far for short folks to reach comfortably. I could see the interface allowing you to use scroll whiles on the steering wheel to access those icons and maybe more.

I have a feeling that the new interface will not require you to touch the screen at all. Some of the controls, like the icons on the far right are just to far for short folks to reach comfortably. I could see the interface allowing you to use scroll whiles on the steering wheel to access those icons and maybe more.
Are those track balls I see on the steering wheel? :D
lRzvhBdg_grande.jpg

Are those track balls I see on the steering wheel? :D

Like a spaceship! :p

Why you guys all making fun of me. :(

On the S/X the scroll wheels on the steering wheel control the second screen. So if there are scrollers on the final steering wheel, they probable will be used to interface with the big screen.

Yes, very spaceship like. If your spaceship is a blackberry.

Reactions: Sonny Daze