Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why you guys all making fun of me. :(

On the S/X the scroll wheels on the steering wheel control the second screen. So if there are scrollers on the final steering wheel, they probable will be used to interface with the big screen.

Yes, very spaceship like. If your spaceship is a blackberry.
Don't think they were trying to make fun of you, just repeating a phrase.
Those do look like track balls -- and yes, could be used to control the screen. I linked that picture over to model3ownersclub to get their take on it, too.
Where did that picture come from?

Is Tesla Glass no longer part of the Model 3? Back in November Elon said that the new glass technology would be featured in the Model 3. Is this new technology just how they form it and the strength or is there something else?

I'm still pushing for larger radii on the display on the order of 3/4" R. While we're up, I think the various white interior surfaces are not enhancing Elon's cause as they are too reminiscent of yesteryear's plastics. However, they probably do that to make the interior architecture read brighter for PR photography through the windows. If they made the interiors according to my preferences (black, more black, dark charcoal.) the view through the windows would be opaque and then we wouldn't know what was going on. (Oh wait...)

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
Just a little fun experiment (I'm not diminishing your opinion):

Absolutely. I cannot buy the 3 if the display is crap. I'm not talking interior, either. That is over and done with. But if the display is ugly with cheap materials, Tesla will lose my reservation. I'm confident I wouldn't be the only one. I'm also confident that it'll turn off potential future buyers - those who may not be all that familiar with Tesla, or who haven't yet placed a reservation - that would otherwise be looking at an EV or an entry level luxury car.

Please publish your results on here when the experiment has concluded.

• Funny
Reactions: Sonny Daze
No car is best at everything. I agree that every car maker should always try to make the best possible cars when it comes to every possible aspect, but the fact is that they will always fail to some degree or other.

It's just a fact that all cars Tesla produce will have pros and cons. Up until now, and probably continuing into the future, the interior quality and interior feature sets of the vehicles Tesla has produced has been no better than acceptable. Barely that, even. Expecting revolutionary improvements when it comes to the Model 3 is to set oneself up for disappointment.

Still, I do think Tesla will have an interior of acceptable quality. I might not be the most fancy interior, but I think it will still be sufficiently good that it won't dissuade buyers. I think it will be minimalistic, but well executed.

Nobody said they are or that they should be.

That is the issue I'm talking about. It needs to be addressed. It is not hard to make a nice interior. It should absolutely be commensurate with its price tag and competitors within the segment.

Why you guys all making fun of me. :(

On the S/X the scroll wheels on the steering wheel control the second screen. So if there are scrollers on the final steering wheel, they probable will be used to interface with the big screen.

Yes, very spaceship like. If your spaceship is a blackberry.
Not making fun, sorry if it came off that way. Was just trying to speculate as to what the real true meaning when Elon mentioned the controls feeling like a spaceship.

OK, warning this is going to be a bit long, also is personal viewpoint from someone who craves and appreciates change and advancement. I realize others can (and do) feel differently.

Exec Summary: Model S UI, though unconventional and with a few significant flaws, is tons better than other cars, and already "spaceship like" IMO. If Model 3 UI evolves that (whether it has additional readouts, HUD, or just tablet display), it will also be tons better than most other cars, and probably even more "spaceship like". It will just be different, and will require a bit of time to get used to.

Because we are migratory - living in several places, I had to choose to keep my P85 somewhere (vs. drive it back and forth thousands of miles). So, I get to alternate between Tesla and VW eGolf at one house, and BMW X1 and Mini at the other. Also, prior to Tesla, I had a Jag XF and previously BMW 5. So, I've lived with a few auto UIs. I say "lived with", because I do not think you can judge an auto UI without living with it... just riding in it or driving occasionally (e.g., rental) does not give you time to acclimate. Now, I have not "lived with" late model Lexus, MB, or Audi UIs. And I expect someone to chime in about how great they are and how horrible Tesla is in comparison. Great for you, I'm not buying one of those cars in any event, so I'll never "get it". My next 2 cars are Model 3s, and my S is not retiring any time soon.

I've now just returned to midwest after several months driving mostly Tesla (occasionally eGolf). Every time I drive the other cars, I keep looking for the screen. The maps feature (and nav based upon maps and internet search) has become ingrained, and is very very difficult to live without. Not to mention having controls and other info pretty intuitively and directly accessible on UI. Do I wish Tesla nav had waypoints? Sure. Do I wish media player USB function were better? Sure. Would I trade Tesla UI for the crap nav and controls on most other cars (destination entry only when stopped, horrible maps and rendering compared to satellite view maps on Tesla, dials, knobs and levers all over)? Never.

I suspect that the Model 3 UI will be simplified over the Model S/X UI. It will be more predictive (with context-based display that is intended to match what you are doing or how you are driving). In other words, one display for parking, a different one for manual driving, and yet a different one for AP. In that process, I expect Tesla will get a few things wrong and they will be frustrating. But nowhere near as frustrating as iDrive in my 5 series, controls that reset EVERYTHING each time the car starts in my eGolf, auto engine cutoff on X1 that steals driver display every time you stop to display useless information.

In other words, though not flawless, the S/X UI is - to me - tons better on the whole than any other car. The few offenses are less annoying and intrusive than the "misses" in other cars. And I expect 3 UI to advance upon that. I expect it will include some sort of instrument display for speed etc. somewhere around or on steering wheel. However, if it does not, I'm going to keep an open mind and "live with" it a while before passing judgement. I'm expecting that, after 1,000 miles, I may very well see the cockpit controls in most cars as superfluous.

I'm also someone who likes the clean and minimalist interior design of the S. I look at all of the cockpits being posted here as exemplary, and I see them as crowded, full of plastic, and not luxurious at all. The S feels huge every time I get in, and part of that is because there is less crap in there. Admittedly, it is not womb-like, and I know that is something some people want.

I expect the 3 interior to continue that trend. And, the driver area is going to feel quite different (GOOD, to my sensibilities) without all of the instrumentation and stuff in front of the driver. If they deliver on the performance they are benchmarking (vs. BMW 3, Alfa, etc) and (hopefully) decent seats, I'm going to love having a small, sporty sedan that feels airy and roomy... with my spaceship controls.

Meanwhile, every time I drive one of the other cars... gee, I miss my (S)paceship!