Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess now is that the magic will be in the new UI. I bet spaceship controls refers to buttons and options for AP using the entire left side of the horizontal screen. With the power of the Nvidia PX2 (technically able to push 4K graphics to multiple screens) I bet the updated UI will be a huge improvement and truly make it feel like a spaceship. Probably replaces the AP control stick and is more clear. Also could be the reason he's appearing cryptic on HUD tweets, as he doesn't want to give that info without a full explanation of why there is no need. I assume same software will be available on all AP2 cars soon also.

He's building an attractive, cheap, autonomous, taxi. Mission accomplished.
You might be right, but that is a very, very different car than an entry-level luxury sedan like the BMW 3-Series. Not an "Ultimate Driving Machine," not a competitor at all, but a minimalist capsule where you can play Candy Crush (do people still play Candy Crush?) and watch You Tube clips while the car glides you to work.
Not my idea of fun.
Robin

Current cars with HUD:

• 2013 Cadillac ATS.
  • 2013 Buick LaCrosse
  • 2012 BMW 3
  • 2013 Ford Fusion
  • 2013 Lexus GS
Just sayin...

Agree. I think there's a very good chance Elon was being coy. It may be a basic HUD standard, more complex HUD as an option. Elon really doesn't want to tip off anything just months away from being added to S/X. Of course, it's possible they are not doing an HUD, but if they are, what else really could Elon have said other than what he did without putting a drag on S/X sales.

One other point on this... how much could a basic HUD cost, a couple hundred? Why wouldn't they go for this if there's only going to be one screen rather than leave an eat target (only one center display) for naysayers?

Reactions: calisnow
You might be right, but that is a very, very different car than an entry-level luxury sedan like the BMW 3-Series. Not an "Ultimate Driving Machine," not a competitor at all, but a minimalist capsule where you can play Candy Crush (do people still play Candy Crush?) and watch You Tube clips while the car glides you to work.
Not my idea of fun.
Robin

Oh Lordy, hold me BACK!!! AHHH!! A THREEEEE SERIES!!! Show the world you can't pay down your student loan, or your parents don't love you enough to get you a Benz.

CosyVehicleImage(13).png

It's really bad when a car looks like arse in Red. Reallly bad. Clown Shoe Design Studio.

They are supply-constrained anyway.
They could make the only available colour hot pink and they would still be selling every unit they could produce for a while.

All this hand-wringing about which features will be available ignores the fact that it's the drive-train that makes this car worth owning.
There are plenty of cars available now with AWD or HUDs.
Stupid, noisy, laggy, smoke-blowing, non-OTA-updateable relics of the old world.

Any M3 reservation holders who are on the fence, please drive a 2013 RWD non-performance Model S85. Cover the dash with cardboard and go for a drive. You'll be getting that grin from a base M3. Strong, silent, instantaneous acceleration. Never visit a gas station again (except for mints).

In the fall of 2012 people here on TMC started getting their Model Ss. They talked about their "Tesla grins."

Those were P85s costing about $100K with a 4.2 second 0-60 and a 265 EPA rated range.

Despite the Model 3 possibly having nothing other than that one screen, based on what we've seen I would hands down take a $40-45K 75 kWh Model 3 over a brand new Model S P85 based on 2012 tech.

This isn't to say I don't get some disappointment for some, but I still see a kick-ass, dreaming and counting the days car, not econobox. And, I really like the tweaks to the front.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised with how Tesla integrates the landscape display with information for the driver. One display doesn't preclude the use of well designed windows. It is still larger then any other display excluding the S/S. Having information in the cluster behind the steering wheel is not nearly as effective as having that same information in the left hand top quadrant on the display. I drive a Prius V and once I got used to not looking for the dials and gauges behind the wheel I just hate driving any car that requires me to look thru the steering wheel. I don't care what information it could have. Would I like to see a well integrated HUD, sure but was never expecting Tesla to include that initially with the Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: WarpedOne and kelly
Agree. I think there's a very good chance Elon was being coy. It may be a basic HUD standard, more complex HUD as an option. Elon really doesn't want to tip off anything just months away from being added to S/X. Of course, it's possible they are not doing an HUD, but if they are, what else really could Elon have said other than what he did without putting a drag on S/X sales.

One other point on this... how much could a basic HUD cost, a couple hundred? Why wouldn't they go for this if there's only going to be one screen rather than leave an eat target (only one center display) for naysayers?
Maybe the information they want to display on a HUD to make it useful (whatever new info they are going to show with Tesla vision) was not cost effective for what they needed and it was easier to just show it on half the LCD screen. It's one thing to have a simple speedometer, which I personally think is gimmicky, but a whole different thing to show graphics intensive autopilot info with a potential variety of colors and shading on clear glass. Just a thought, since he seemed to be trying to cryptically not overshare while being relatively firm on no HUD.