Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boaterva

Supporting Member
My reading of his tweets today is that there is no HUD planned, and that the center display is all we get. Thoughts? He clearly says their is no new technology that is not in an S or X and/or that a consumer would notice (as opposed to production line improvements).

RWD-HUD1.jpg
RWD-HUD2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My reading of his tweets today is that there is no HUD planned, and that the center display is all we get. Thoughts? He clearly says their is no new technology that is not in an S or X and/or that a consumer would notice (as opposed to production line improvements).

View attachment 219592 View attachment 219593

Except the batteries that might be able to charge at a significantly faster rate. The ability to faster super charge is the update I have my eye on now.

Except the batteries that might be able to charge at a significantly faster rate. The ability to faster super charge is the update I have my eye on now.
Yes, I think we all agree it has 2170 batteries/battery pack. I call that part of the production improvements/tech he mentioned that the normal consumer wouldn't notice.

I think we can say no one here at TMC is normal. :)

Lol... good one.

Here's another tweet with one screen (and, yes, HUD isn't a screen... or a display or a... but it's 'new tech'.):

View attachment 219598

James Locke @arctechinc
@elonmusk so does this mean no heads up display in Model 3? How will Tesla handle speedometer and Instrument Cluster information?

Follow
Elon Musk

✔@elonmusk

@arctechinc The more autonomous a car is, the less dash info you need. How often do you look at the instrument panel when being driven in a taxi?

James Locke @arctechinc
@elonmusk so does this mean no heads up display in Model 3? How will Tesla handle speedometer and Instrument Cluster information?

Follow
Elon Musk

✔@elonmusk

@arctechinc The more autonomous a car is, the less dash info you need. How often do you look at the instrument panel when being driven in a taxi?

The BMW Mini's had the speedo in the center of the dash. The M3 could do the same.. put it and other "instrument cluster" info in the center display.

MS and MX buyers would not be happy if a head up display showed up in the M3 before theirs...and the M3 will be here soon.

Although predictions of when ANY Teslas will be truly autonomous may be optimistic, current traffic-aware cruise control on both city streets and highways significantly reduces the practical need to look at the speedo.

This is all starting to make more sense to me. I was always a little confused by all this talk about new technology rumors, when Elon stated a while ago that he had no intention of introducing new technology into the Model 3 that wasn't already in the current lineup.

What I fear at this point, however, is that the car will be too bland and will not be able to compete with other ICE cars in similar price/performance ranges. We shall see, I guess.

Tesla had so good elements and momentum, but todays tweets are dropping the ball in wrong direction for me.. :/

At this point, their hands are propably heavily restricted by capital markets, but regardless they made some bad decisions and assumptions regarding market needs earlier (ex. i know 7 people in line for 3 and nobody would pay a dime for autonomous features).

Personally most likely have to cancel and move my interest to competitor products which are pouring in 2019-2020.

So disapointed

James Locke @arctechinc

Follow
Elon Musk

✔@elonmusk

I get that. But this car won't be fully autonomous for awhile, if ever. And even if it will be, not everyone will purchase those features. In 5 years that reasoning might make complete sense. But as of today, meh.

What I fear at this point, however, is that the car will be too bland and will not be able to compete with other ICE cars in similar price/performance ranges. We shall see, I guess.

In regards to the interior, i think it's a very valid concern. A barren, non-premium interior, awkward interior might not sell well in this segment.