Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweet re: lack of instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you listen to most of the test drive videos from the model 3 reveal, the drivers made it a point to focus mostly on the ride, glass roof, acceleration etc. They purposefully stayed away from discussing the screen or UI of the screen unless directly asked. I think it is not the final concept as the screen is a big deal for Tesla in comparison to other car manufacturers and it is usually a key selling point. It was NOT Friday night. They seem to not want to show this idea and discuss it too soon. I love the Model S screen. Its a deal breaker. The model 3 screen actually appears as an "add on" the the way that it extends from the body of the car when looking in from the windshield. The Landscape UI also may not be the final version. I think that the control cluster will make perfect sense and effect the final screen at reveal. But the controls will NOT be on the screen in my opinion. It is too dangerous for me to Not know my speed because the passenger is doing something with the screen at the time. (adjusting temperature or playing music).. Visually, it takes too much to look that far right for this important information. Elon will do something cool!

Centre of the steering wheel would have to hold an airbag. A screen couldn't be fitted over it.

So instead, could the IP be a ring of information which always remains upright as both the steering wheel and screen turn together? (so the screen is an annulus, not a solid circle)

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
View attachment 170551
Elon referenced the steering wheel in the drawing he posted on Twitter yesterday. He said it was a "cool one" (replying to someone asking why the test ride cars had such ugly steering wheels. It is open at the top...perfect for HUD.

Well the prototype didn't look open at the top, but it was flat. Either way makes sense to me if adding a HUD, but I think I would prefer a flat top steering wheel rather than no top.

Visually, it takes too much to look that far right for this important information.

No, it does not.

The eye travel from the road to the left upper corner of the screen is shorter than your typical speedometer.

0LzIIJz.jpg

If you listen to most of the test drive videos from the model 3 reveal, the drivers made it a point to focus mostly on the ride, glass roof, acceleration etc. They purposefully stayed away from discussing the screen or UI of the screen unless directly asked. I think it is not the final concept as the screen is a big deal for Tesla in comparison to other car manufacturers and it is usually a key selling point. It was NOT Friday night. They seem to not want to show this idea and discuss it too soon. I love the Model S screen. Its a deal breaker. The model 3 screen actually appears as an "add on" the the way that it extends from the body of the car when looking in from the windshield. The Landscape UI also may not be the final version. I think that the control cluster will make perfect sense and effect the final screen at reveal. But the controls will NOT be on the screen in my opinion. It is too dangerous for me to Not know my speed because the passenger is doing something with the screen at the time. (adjusting temperature or playing music).. Visually, it takes too much to look that far right for this important information. Elon will do something cool!

I agree-- I had one of these test rides and they did exactly that -- deflect discussion away from the screen and dash.. but my driver said, nope, no dash, all touchscreen, which I found very hard to believe. It also sticks out -- I'm sure that will be integrated like the S/X. I think the horizontal approach works, though. From the back seat at night, I can tell you the dash being totally dark was *very* strange to see. I can't believe it will stay like that.

If you listen to most of the test drive videos from the model 3 reveal, the drivers made it a point to focus mostly on the ride, glass roof, acceleration etc. They purposefully stayed away from discussing the screen or UI of the screen unless directly asked. I think it is not the final concept as the screen is a big deal for Tesla in comparison to other car manufacturers and it is usually a key selling point. It was NOT Friday night.

That is not true. In one video where the test driver was Doug Field, VP of engineering, the single screen concept, speedometer widget position was the first thing he talked about.

I think HUD could be used for the views like the blue lane lines and car detection icons. And of course, turn-by-turn navigation.
Was my first thought when I saw the suggestion of HUD posted. Superimpose autopilot information. Also highlight possible dangerous objects.

Could there be a screen on the steering wheel/controls themselves?
The Model X had touch sensitive screens where they have the click wheels now at the prototype unveiling.

I can't imagine that it will stay like this either. The mass adoption of the Model 3 will not occur if the interior doesn't appeal to the masses. If it's too much of a departure from convention, it won't succeed.

But, I certainly will wait to see what develops.

Ha ha guess you aren't aware Tesla has more deposits in Three days then BMW 3-Series sold in North America in a year. They "ARE" selling to the masses.

I got tricked into the whole swiveling seat thing on the X. I'll keep my thoughts a bit more grounded this time. I don't see autonomous driving. It's way too soon for that. A fixed center on the steering wheel is possible, perhaps with an LCD screen for things like speed read out, but it would be pretty radical. A HUD is quite possible. I'll go with that. They might be able to engineer a HUD that is superior to any HUD seen before. But again, I feel I starting to imagine the 2nd row seats swiveling on the X again. I'll just go with a basic HUD, and a nicer steering wheel that looks rather snazzy.

I got tricked into the whole swiveling seat thing on the X. I'll keep my thoughts a bit more grounded this time. I don't see autonomous driving. It's way too soon for that. A fixed center on the steering wheel is possible, perhaps with an LCD screen for things like speed read out, but it would be pretty radical. A HUD is quite possible. I'll go with that. They might be able to engineer a HUD that is superior to any HUD seen before. But again, I feel I starting to imagine the 2nd row seats swiveling on the X again. I'll just go with a basic HUD, and a nicer steering wheel that looks rather snazzy.

What swiveling are you speaking of? Never heard of this and wasn't presented in the initial unveiling with the prototype.

This is a 3-year old video from Mobileye (AP hardware supplier). While the animations aren't pretty, it's the best demo of what I think of as an augmented reality HUD. I think it would be feasible to create a HUD with augmented reality that would display lane lines, turn-by-turn navigation, car detection, and more in real-time. AP 2.0 most likely will have several cameras to enable this functionality.

This is a 3-year old video from Mobileye (AP hardware supplier). While the animations aren't pretty, it's the best demo of what I think of as an augmented reality HUD. I think it would be feasible to create a HUD with augmented reality that would display lane lines, turn-by-turn navigation, car detection, and more in real-time. AP 2.0 most likely will have several cameras to enable this functionality.

But why are people still dreaming about all these fancy HUD?
The objectives of Model 3 design is ease of manufacturing, low cost and mass market. The minimalist dash and single screen fit into these objectives exactly, Other features like mechanical door handle, simple trunk design, are also compatible.

OEM HUD for BMW is being sold at around US$2,700, and you need engineering and software development. So we can be talking about 5-10% of the cost of the base model. Just does not fit in Model 3 objectives.

Reactions: EnergyMax
There's no reason other than tradition that a center mounted touch screen can't provide all the details you need to operate the car. I'm looking forward to the new interior. I don't interpret Elon's text as meaning anything more than part 2 will explain in more detail how the center screen will be the only infomation source in the car.

But why are people still dreaming about all these fancy HUD?
The objectives of Model 3 design is ease of manufacturing, low cost and mass market. The minimalist dash and single screen fit into these objectives exactly, Other features like mechanical door handle, simple trunk design, are also compatible.

OEM HUD for BMW is being sold at around US$2,700, and you need engineering and software development. So we can be talking about 5-10% of the cost of the base model. Just does not fit in Model 3 objectives.

Don't confuse retail prices with ease of manufacturing and cost.

Aerospace manufacturers are using glass cockpits because the whole system is cheaper then individual gauges. Glass cockpits looks expensive but the cost of the whole system cost considerable less.

Model S 17" screen is a prime example costs dollars and looks expensive. Because you relate to Retail prices of tablets not the cost of the components.

As I said in another thread (and sorry for the duplication): In addition to the usual info, e.g., speed, navigation, etc, Tesla might use a HUD to project, when visibility is marginal (or worse), the lines of the road as well as any vehicles exactly where they are in real life. By integrating these with AP 2.0 and realistic AI, drivers will have a much better chance of avoiding the multi-vehicle pileups we've seen lately caused by fog and whiteout conditions. Safety is #1 at Tesla and this would augment that. When visibility is not an issue, those road lines, cars, etc could be projected onto a virtual IP, leaving just speed, nav info, etc on the HUD...or everything on the projected/virtual IP.

Don't confuse retail prices with ease of manufacturing and cost.
Aerospace manufacturers are using glass cockpits because the whole system is cheaper then individual gauges. Glass cockpits looks expensive but the cost of the whole system cost considerable less.

I understand that, and you are choosing between two options.

But in the case of Model3, HUD is NOT NECESSARY at all! You can get all the info in the centre screen, and that's the whole point of the new dash design.

So why add the manufacturing cost (even if it is lower, it is definitely not insignificant) and time for assembling the dash?

Reactions: EnergyMax