Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweet re: lack of instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm calling it now. Its going to be in the top of the steering wheel.

Toyota-FT-1-steering-wheel-controls.jpg

Reactions: Red Sage
I've been following this thread closely as there must be a speed/indicator display of some sort in front of the driver, be it a small IP cluster, HUD, or in-steering wheel display. (and there must be radio and other control buttons on the steering wheel)

The company I work for has a saying, give the customer what they didn't even know they needed...
Why have instructions or a warning light on a panel below when you can paint it directly on the windshield:
dlp-hud.png

*from the TI site referenced earlier...
Everything on that screen behind the steering wheel is redundant, so eliminate the entire display, it's not needed!

I have faith, it will be something great!

Reactions: Troy and CarlitoDoc
Why? There are currently cars on the road that don't have this.

Super common question. Let's answer it:

Why?

1. Ask any Model S owner if their 17" display has ever lagged, frozen, or required a restart. If the 3 only has one screen, then information like speedometer readings, charge status, electrical malfunctions, turn signal status, gear/drive indicator, etc. are all tied to this one screen. If Tesla had delivered a perfect Model S screen, I wouldn't be concerned. But ask Model S owners and it's one of their few, but serious, complaints. And, as far as I can tell, Tesla has never publicly acknowledged a fix. I can't remember the last time someone in a brand-new IP/IC-equipped car ever said, "Yeah, I'm at 56 mph, no worries, that cop won't care. Oh, wait, the speedometer lagged out, crap, I'm really going 73 mph!" cue sirens

2. Night time driving: Model S owners say now it's not a big issue. But, are they people driving in the country, where it is essentially pitch black outside? You could just say, "Turn down the brightness and activate night mode if it's not automatically activated." But, if something happens, you want to know all car status immediately (gear/drive, turn signal, charge, electrical malfunctions, etc.)...if it's a dark screen, that's hard to read. Now, if it's an OLED screen, this could be worked around because parts of the screen can be turned off essentially.

No other car today puts literally all car information into a single LCD display.

@MP3Mike So, I have a follow up question regarding the HUD. Is is safe to assume that you will not be able to see it if you are wearing polarized glasses?

Depends on the type of HUD. Traditional HUD: can't see with polarized glasses. Texas Instruments new DLP-based HUD: no problem with polarization. Or, the most expensive option, embedded transparent OLED in the windshield: everybody can see it! haha.

Reactions: CarlitoDoc
In this post, ikjadoon posted a link to TI's DLP-based HUD projector. It specifically says it works with polarized glasses (how, I'm not sure)

There's a pretty cool demo video on the TI page, but it won't embed here.

The micromirrors on a DLP chip can reflect light in any polarization, and the rest of the optic engine does not require polarization filters either. Thus DLP is inherently a technology that typically works with polarized glasses.

This is unlike LCD and LCoS/SXRD displays, which rely on permitting/blocking light based on it's polarization. And thus, even when permitting the light through, it's only that which is polarized in one orientation, which can then cause problems with glasses polarized in the other.

(note there are some combos which are less likely to cause problems, such as circularly polarized displays and linearly polarized lenses, etc...)

Super common question. Let's answer it:
Why?
1. Ask any Model S owner if their 17" display has ever lagged, frozen, or required a restart. If the 3 only has one screen, then information like speedometer readings, charge status, electrical malfunctions, turn signal status, gear/drive indicator, etc. are all tied to this one screen. 2. Night time driving:

I am not convinced.
No other car has redundancy in warning lights and indicator. Why should Model 3 need one?
Tesla should fix the lag/frozen screen issue rather than an expensive hardware solution.

No other car today puts literally all car information into a single LCD display.

Actually, most cars with dual screen would put warning lights/indicator on one screen only - there is no redundancy.
And in Mercedes S class and the new E class, even though the wide display consists of two screens placed side by side, they are driven by the same CPU unit, so again no redundancy if it crashes or freezes.

Reactions: MP3Mike
The DLP Hud system, is nice but it is also what's (almost) already in use in aviation. Either military or civil planes cockpits have all that already (link to a 360 view of A380 cockpit).

DLP HUD is expensive as well, at least compared with the traditional LED ones.
No production car has one as far as I know.

So no, don't expect to see one in a "mass-market affordable" Model 3.

I am not convinced.
No other car has redundancy in warning lights and indicator. Why should Model 3 need one?

What makes you think the information will be redundant? A lot of the stuff on the upper left corner of the prototype looked like they were just slapped on top of the map. If they put them in a HUD (or whatever else), they won't keep it obscuring the map on the touchscreen. That would just be silly.

What makes you think the information will be redundant? A lot of the stuff on the upper left corner of the prototype looked like they were just slapped on top of the map. If they put them in a HUD (or whatever else), they won't keep it obscuring the map on the touchscreen. That would just be silly.

I was responding to ikjadoon who said that a HUD is needed because the single screen may freeze.
And I agree with you, having a HUD or an extra screen won't make any difference and those info would not be replicated in the second display device. My point is that a HUD is not necessary and we won't see one in Model 3.

I think it's got to be a HUD. But not just any HUD - I think the projector will be not be a single device in front of the driver, but instead will be a strip of LEDs stretching right across the dashboard. That way any image can be clearly projected onto any point in your vision.

Think about it - Tesla is all about surpassing expectations. They don't want to make the best electric car for 35k, they want to make the best car. A car that only has a central display will not be the "best car" in most people's eyes.

Think about it - Tesla is all about surpassing expectations. They don't want to make the best electric car for 35k, they want to make the best car. A car that only has a central display will not be the "best car" in most people's eyes.

Elon said that he has learned his lessons with Model X.
With Model 3, ease of manufacturing and delivering the car on time is of prime importance. So you think he would create a system that no car has done it before and risk delaying the launch?

I think it's got to be a HUD. But not just any HUD - I think the projector will be not be a single device in front of the driver, but instead will be a strip of LEDs stretching right across the dashboard. That way any image can be clearly projected onto any point in your vision.

• Love
Reactions: MP3Mike
Model 3 displays should be simple and not be something new. Save new tech for update Model S and Model X. I believe that Tesla will learn lesson of Model X and build first generation Model 3 to take advantage of what is available today and easy to source. I said in the investors thread that it would be nice to have a simple method for driver to know, outside of center console, current speed, autopilot status an and safety messages. Think of it as just the middle portion of Model S driver display. Leave entertainment, navigation, etc. for the center console.