Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, what has Elon learned from this debacle, and how will he adjust his Twitter use going forward? So far so good; he’s just retweeting positive articles about Tesla. I don’t expect full restraint to last long, but just maybe we will witness going forward less of a propensity to be baited.

Obviously it depends on the amount of shame produced. If he was drunk he was careless and he may just need to be more careful. If he is in mental decline due to overwork then changes are needed.

Tesla needs a real COO on the manufacturing side. A good outcome would be this event stimulating that change.

Someone please take his Twitter away, or shut it down altogether. This new story is just embarrassing.

There is no excuse for it and Musk should apologize. Yea, the guy wasn't very nice, but "pedo"? Maybe Twitter should have a 5 minute "think about what you just typed" counter in general.

To me it seems, that Twitter just has a bad influence on people. It's like drugs, or alcohol. You do stupid *sugar* when you're on it, but you can't get away, once you're hooked...

Elon Musk’s ‘pedo’ attack rattles Tesla investors: ‘This thing is unraveling’
But Musk had recently vowed to act more like the well-behaved leader of a $50 billion company investors want him to be. In an interview last week, Musk said he was reforming from his belief that Twitter was a no-holds-barred battleground where “if you attack me, it is therefore OK for me to attack back.” “I will attempt to be better at this,” Musk said. “That is my mistake. I will correct it.”

Whoops.
It' sorta like a guy that beats his wife, says he'll never do it again, then beats his wife a few days later. Except in this case, Elon is beating his credibility into the ground.
Not defending Elon's attack of the british guy, but it's very telling how in that Washington Post article there is full coverage of Elon's attacking tweets but no mention whatsoever that the brit said in an interview that Elon could shove the mini sub up his ass.

Pretty good take on the whole situation and the faults of Silicon Valley big wigs in general.
Stop worshipping guys like Elon Musk (opinion) - CNN

“Poor Elon wanted to be the hero who saved the boys. He wanted his "kid-size submarine" to come to the rescue. When that didn't happen, he baselessly accused one of the actual heroes, Vernon Unsworth, of being a "pedo," or pedophile.”

Yep, that sounds like exactly what happened. :rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: MauryDann
“Poor Elon wanted to be the hero who saved the boys. He wanted his "kid-size submarine" to come to the rescue. When that didn't happen, he baselessly accused one of the actual heroes, Vernon Unsworth, of being a "pedo," or pedophile.”

Yep, that sounds like exactly what happened. :rolleyes:
Are you being sarcastic? That is what happened

Shame on a lot of you in this thread. Feels like one of those spots you might look back on and be embarassed about.

I’m starting to get a little concerned that the thousands of fake twitter accounts and the few actually real accounts who have their facts twisted by all the fud are taking a toll on Elon. I kinda wish he would just stop replying. I’m new to the forum so not sure if this is the best place to make this comment, if not point me in the right direction. Seems obvious to me they are trying to get him to crack. I actually fear for his safety. Is this crazy? Seems like big oil and the other automakers are getting extremely threatened by him and the crap is really ramping up.
Oh, look, another thread about this. I searched, and it looks like I haven't had the opportunity to explain my point of view of this issue inside this thread, but I already have elsewhere. First, the fundamentals, which I already wrote here: TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable. I get an opportunity to edit my message, and I do so using italics for new stuff.

==========

I think it's a testament to the human condition of enlightened self interest that almost all people involved in businesses where they can help people in need in a condition in something that their business does tend to do so. This has been done before by many similar companies to those which Elon is CEO, that have expertise in various types of activities that can be similar to the situations for those being helped. It helps everyone: it helps the companies learn how to apply their knowledge and skills to adaptive situations, which helps other humans, and helps those companies work in different conditions and learn to try new things. It helps the people being helped in those situations. It used to happen before Twitter, before electric vehicles, before SpaceX, and it continues to happen today. Elon is following in a long tradition of people with knowledge and resources in a certain area of expertise doing what they can to help, and in return they get to learn how to try their ideas out in real life situations and learn more about doing it. Elon's company will gain experience in digging holes in Earth (Boring Co), on Mars (whoever goes up there, maybe including SpaceX), energy adaptation (Tesla).

All you have to do is turn up stories by any old man who has been involved in these industries. I'm sure Bill Wattenburg, an old AM radio host on KGO, had some stories to tell about rescue efforts of one type or another, if you asked him. Or you could ask your uncle in any similar business.

The only novel thing about today is that it is today. You can buttress that statement up however you want to, by saying it's being done on Twitter, by an electric car company, (in witness of TMC), and by a rocket company, that wants to go to another planet, but every other time in the past and every other time in the future will be that time's first in that situation, too. This was done when ham radio was avante-garde. When the telegraph was. By energy companies (oil, natural gas), by exploration companies (of all types), by infrastructure companies (of many names). And so on. And it will be in the future. And it should happen every time.

Elon is doing as he is wont to do, as many before him were wont to do, and many hence will be wont to do, and as they should and can do. And it helps everyone.

==========

Now, my response to your concern about trolls:

Being trolled is how you know you've won.

Last edited:
Are you being sarcastic? That is what happened

Shame on a lot of you in this thread. Feels like one of those spots you might look back on and be embarassed about.

I am being sarcastic because that’s not at all what happened. You can’t really be under the impression that Elon showed up with his submarine completely unannounced, was upset that they didn’t use it and then randomly chose one of the people involved to attack on Twitter a week later out of nowhere, right?

Even a cursory knowledge of the situation gathered entirely from reading articles critical of Elon would make it clear that wasn’t what happened. At least some critical articles have mentioned the Richard Stanton emails and all but this one that I’ve seen have mentioned the insults hurled at Elon.

What Elon did here was bad enough. When you exaggerate what actually happened to make it sound worse, all you do is cheapen it.