Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See how all the other companies fared that helped out.
I heard nothing at all about them, so, not so great. No matter what there are always going to be those who attack Elon, either for doing something or not doing enough. If he said nothing they'd be screaming about how he dropped the ball, couldn't come through, etc. I have no problem with him tooting his companies' horns, he just needs to learn how to deal with attacks in a better manner. Posting a video of the sub making it through the cave would have been the proper response to this specific attack, or just saying "we did the best we could with the data we were given".

just for note: Vern Unsworth is not a diver rescuer and didn't participate in the rescue phase, I would be surprised if he actually knows to dive, he was saying strange things for a would be diver in his interviews. He is local resident who claimed to know very well local caves and was from the beginning "the cave expert" for western mass media.
There is no evidence or any signs of his participation in rescue preparation or execution.

It doesn't excuse Musk tweets and he needs: 1) shut up, 2) apologize and most importantly get help with his burnout.
Best avoid any social media as plaque and never use your real name if you do. (preferably unique nick for every resource you use).
The last rule is important for everybody.

Perception is reality. If you don't want your actions to be taken as a publicity stunt, then don't publicize them. It's easy for me to say after the fact, but there must have been someone savy enough on the fickle thing that is public opinion in the entourage of Elon to tell him to quit posting those videos of his sub as they were developing it?

I see a good point here. It’s like people who post stuff on Instagram or Facebook about making some large donation or helping out a organization through volunteer work. That’s great and dandy but I feel doing good deeds are for the person you are doing it for and yourself. Not to show off.

to be fair, I think Thai women age very well, meaning a woman in her 30's may still look quite young. I wouldn't share around that info or use it in further commentary. Only fuels the fire of people worrying about Vern being attacked personally. but just my .02 cents. maybe others would agree with you.

Is that true? Did they ask for it? Presumably not based on Musk's word that they asked for it.

how many times do we have to post this?

4EAF07CF-D583-433C-A46C-4D03B29F0792.png

Reactions: wipster and SteveG3
I heard nothing at all about them, so, not so great. No matter what there are always going to be those who attack Elon, either for doing something or not doing enough. If he said nothing they'd be screaming about how he dropped the ball, couldn't come through, etc. I have no problem with him tooting his companies' horns, he just needs to learn how to deal with attacks in a better manner. Posting a video of the sub making it through the cave would have been the proper response to this specific attack, or just saying "we did the best we could with the data we were given".
Or maybe something like "we did the best we could given the information and we will try and help again if asked"

Ok, one of these men risked his life to save people trapped in a cave. The other man, having no background in caves/diving, decided to build a submarine and just show up at the rescue site and expect rescuers to immediately use his submarine he had built in just a few days after explicit plans had already been made to rescue the boys with divers. Then attacks multiple people involved in the successful rescue on social media, and calls one of them a pedophile, then doubles down on the accusation shortly after.

Who's the tool again?

You missed the point. He wasn't attacking multiple people involved if you looked at the whole thing he praised people. The accusation was made that this was exclusively a PR stunt which is totally false-- he was asked to help and he did. The expectation wasn't to use it right away in fact it was total opposite. While it's great that he risked his life to save people trapped in a cave he shouldn't be knocking people for trying.

The pedo remark was out of hand but to the same measure Elon's human and it's crazy blown out of proportion. What if it had actually rained more and water pumps/irrigation methods for the caves haven't worked? That submarine would've been helpful. Elon and his team brought it there and left it there fore future missions. It doesn't merit a comment of taking the sub and shoving it where it hurts.

This feels eerily similar to what went down with Travis Kalanick at Uber. He survived the many controversies over the years, until there was one too many and the board decided to remove him. I won't be too surprised if this goes down that path too. Elon has a huge target in his back from a assorted group of special interests and people who dislike his personality. They have been gifted something that can be used to whip up the general population. These stories are currently#2 and #3 on Reddit news.

As a huge Elon fan, it will be a disappointed if he steps down, but perhaps this is an opportunity for him and the board to evaluate whether it makes sense to hire a COO to take some pressure off him.

Just to be clear, he absolutely did mess up with that specific tweet.

Even outside the posted Stanton email, I was watching, in real time, the comments on Twitter from some of the people there involved with the rescue asking for help. Yes, they really did ask for help.

true. and for the 100s/1000s
i witnessed trolling that, you should all take the inflatable apparatus spacex left there and Yaphet Kotto yourselves

...like in live and let die

You did see this didnt you?

Elon Musk on Twitter
This email chain is between Richard Stanton the lead diver in charge and Musk, Stanton asked him to continue repeatedly. If I was Musk Id be pissed too.
All he needed to do was post this under the jerks post and make sure his communication team pasts that under every posting of the link and retweet. Problem solved.

to be fair, I think Thai women age very well, meaning a woman in her 30's may still look quite young. I wouldn't share around that info or use it in further commentary. Only fuels the fire of people worrying about Vern being attacked personally. but just my .02 cents. maybe others would agree with you.

Scandalous! How dare these older Brits have relationships with beautiful middle age Thai women! Thank God for Elon shining light on this darkness!