TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon tweets about assembly line built using scrap parts

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by adaptabl, Jun 19, 2018.

1. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Elon tweeted

"They also poured the concrete & built the whole assembly line using scrap we had in warehouses. And it’s way better than the other GA line that cost hundreds of millions!"

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

• Disagree x 41
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Your title is incorrect on two counts.
    The line was built with pieces they had around, not the Model 3.
    Nor is there any issue with building a physical structure with the bits you have on hand.

• Like x 18
    • Helpful x 1
  3. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

:D

"Scrap" has more than one meaning.

• Like x 2
  4. cgrubbe

cgrubbe Member

Clickbait title much?

• Like x 11
    • Informative x 1
  5. whatthe2

whatthe2 Member

I don't care how the line was built, I care about the end result - how the car was built.

• Like x 11
  6. thelastdeadmouse

I don't care if the assembly line is made of tick tacks and popsicle sticks, just give me the car.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 4
    • Love x 1
  7. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

True, besides what is recycled steel made from. What is injection molding regrind feed stock made from.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  8. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

The title is correct. Elon said that assembly line was built with scrap. Also the model 3's are being built using scrap they had laying around.

• Disagree x 24
    • Funny x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  9. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

#9 McRat, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    For the OP:

Let's say I buy a shipment of 110 x 25' sq tubing, 1x1" .125 wall. When I'm done, there are pieces shorter than 25'. This is one definition of scrap.
    Another is when you try to fabricate a part, and make a mistake. This is also scrap. You save the big ones.
    Scrap can also be the pieces you deliberately cut off, like the center of a ring plate.
    And when you cut the fat off your steak, this is scrap too. You feed this to your badger.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  10. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Russians did similar things to build thousands of T-70 tanks to defeat the Germans in the middle of the Russian steppe with factories hastily constructed from bits and bobs.

Seemed to work out okay for them.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  11. ggumz

ggumz Member

No, it's not.

Elon's words verbatim: "They also poured the concrete & built the whole assembly line using scrap we had in warehouses. And it’s way better than the other GA line that cost hundreds of millions!"

So again, where does he say the Model 3's themselves are being built from scrap? That's right, no where. Reading comprehension for the win.

• Like x 11
    • Informative x 4
    • Funny x 2
  12. one5n1neSDoo

one5n1neSDoo Member

Are you serious?

13. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

I can understand being concerned about build quality due to the semi-exposed nature of the building interior (i.e., something gets blown into the car by the wind and rattles around between panels and body or something). But the cars are not being built from scrap, unless they had enough "scrap" parts to build test cars to test the line with (that would actually be a good use of "wasted" material). But cars for sale won't be built from scrap.

• Informative x 1
  14. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

15. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

OP, you know he doesn't mean the car itself is built from scrap. You have to know that. He is talking about the structure and assembly line. To think otherwise is twisting words for your own ends. And as long as the quality is the same as the other assembly lines, Elon could assemble these cards in his garage for all I care.

• Like x 1
  16. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

I built a patio. Had some lengths of wood and steel left over. They were scrap.

Then I built some concrete steps to the patio, and used that left over scrap to frame the foundation.

Saved me a bunch from going out to buy brand new timbers. Actually used thicker stuff than required. The scrap was still good timber and was going to cost me money just to haul it away.

Elon just saved the stockholders a ton of money, got the cars out quicker, in a brand new facility and still people are bitching. Making up senerios that are pretty far fetched.

This new structure is far more than a tent. It is a quick build facility that can help the company get to profitability even faster. Classic out of the box thinking (what box? :) They even eliminated the box!

Haters gotta hate!

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  17. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Based on the timeframe (FRIEKEN FOREVER) on me not getting a Model 3 invite - the only conclusion is

The world has an extremely limited supply of scrap metal. :(

• Funny x 1
  18. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

/obvious:

• Love x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  19. Unpilot

Unpilot Active Member

FUD much?

20. DrivingTheFuture

I do find it humorous that I'm going to pay north of 80k for the same car a friend paid 54k for except I'll have red paint on the brake calipers, an extra motor up front, and a spoiler... And that mine was built in a tent. I'm still buying it though.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 2