Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets about assembly line built using scrap parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon tweeted

"They also poured the concrete & built the whole assembly line using scrap we had in warehouses. And it’s way better than the other GA line that cost hundreds of millions!"

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Your title is incorrect on two counts.
The line was built with pieces they had around, not the Model 3.
Nor is there any issue with building a physical structure with the bits you have on hand.

Your title is incorrect on two counts.
The line was built with pieces they had around, not the Model 3.
Nor is there any issue with building a physical structure with the bits you have on hand.

The title is correct. Elon said that assembly line was built with scrap. Also the model 3's are being built using scrap they had laying around.

For the OP:

Let's say I buy a shipment of 110 x 25' sq tubing, 1x1" .125 wall. When I'm done, there are pieces shorter than 25'. This is one definition of scrap.
Another is when you try to fabricate a part, and make a mistake. This is also scrap. You save the big ones.
Scrap can also be the pieces you deliberately cut off, like the center of a ring plate.
And when you cut the fat off your steak, this is scrap too. You feed this to your badger.

Last edited:
Elon tweeted

"They also poured the concrete & built the whole assembly line using scrap we had in warehouses. And it’s way better than the other GA line that cost hundreds of millions!"

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Russians did similar things to build thousands of T-70 tanks to defeat the Germans in the middle of the Russian steppe with factories hastily constructed from bits and bobs.

Seemed to work out okay for them.

The title is correct. Elon said that assembly line was built with scrap. Also the model 3's are being built using scrap they had laying around.

No, it's not.

Elon's words verbatim: "They also poured the concrete & built the whole assembly line using scrap we had in warehouses. And it’s way better than the other GA line that cost hundreds of millions!"

So again, where does he say the Model 3's themselves are being built from scrap? That's right, no where. Reading comprehension for the win.

I can understand being concerned about build quality due to the semi-exposed nature of the building interior (i.e., something gets blown into the car by the wind and rattles around between panels and body or something). But the cars are not being built from scrap, unless they had enough "scrap" parts to build test cars to test the line with (that would actually be a good use of "wasted" material). But cars for sale won't be built from scrap.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
OP, you know he doesn't mean the car itself is built from scrap. You have to know that. He is talking about the structure and assembly line. To think otherwise is twisting words for your own ends. And as long as the quality is the same as the other assembly lines, Elon could assemble these cards in his garage for all I care.

Reactions: 0ptions
I built a patio. Had some lengths of wood and steel left over. They were scrap.

Then I built some concrete steps to the patio, and used that left over scrap to frame the foundation.

Saved me a bunch from going out to buy brand new timbers. Actually used thicker stuff than required. The scrap was still good timber and was going to cost me money just to haul it away.

Elon just saved the stockholders a ton of money, got the cars out quicker, in a brand new facility and still people are bitching. Making up senerios that are pretty far fetched.

This new structure is far more than a tent. It is a quick build facility that can help the company get to profitability even faster. Classic out of the box thinking (what box? :) They even eliminated the box!

Haters gotta hate!