Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweets Kernel Update and New Feature Coming Mid-May 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who are interested, it looks like Elon is now forecasting the release of the kernel update approximately six weeks from today (March 31, 2017).

He states: "Browser is already a little better. Kernel and browser update in prob 6 weeks or so (lots of underlying changes) with a few nice features."

Here's a link to the twitter exchange:

Elon Musk on Twitter

I took a meteorology class years ago and the instructor said he advised his tv weathermen students to give the most pessimistic weather forecast, as people tend to be very forgiving of forecasts for rainy days that turn out to be sunny and warm but not vice versa. Elon would probably be wise to follow this same advice when twittering.

Reactions: Barry
I took a meteorology class years ago and the instructor said he advised his tv weathermen students to give the most pessimistic weather forecast, as people tend to be very forgiving of forecasts for rainy days that turn out to be sunny and warm but not vice versa. Elon would probably be wise to follow this same advice when twittering.

Like Disney World? "Current wait time for this ride is 80 minutes"

(Wow, I only waited 50 minutes)

Given that he isn't even promising media player fixes, I'm expecting Tesla to continue to have less media functionality than a CD player from the 1990s for the forseeable future.

When competition arrives (in the 2019 or 2020 period), this is going to screw the company over really really badly.

But wait, we have a Sketch Pad!!!

Clearly the other, less important features needed to take a back seat to Elon Musk's desire to sketch things with his fingers. Maybe his particular Model S runs a mean infotainment system, amazing navigation system with feature parity of 10 year old systems, and actual working versions of EAP and FSD. He is making it look like Tesla is struggling with basic software skills as a mirage before he unleashes all of this goodness on us. Or he is just a piss poor manager who has great ideas, but no idea how to hire the right people that actually get things done inside of an organization. Occam's Razor wins the day.
When competition arrives (in the 2019 or 2020 period), this is going to screw the company over really really badly.
I hate to say it, but at this rate my next Tesla will probably be an Audi. Tesla will be utterly and completely screwed when the Germans hit the scene. Tesla won't know what hit it, and that makes me sad. In 2013 Tesla could do no wrong. They were firing in all cylinders, for the most part. It wasn't until Musk turned Autopilot into an all-encompassing obsession that has engulfed his entire organization and eclipsed all other priorities that everything started falling apart on the PR side. Now there is a class action lawsuit. This is Tesla's game to lose.

To me sketchpad was simply a distraction to give Classic/AP1 owners at least something, and most importantly something to share/talk about. It didn't take much in terms of company resources. Instead all that was tied up in testing/proving AP2.

As an AP1 owner I'm happy that they didn't take anything away in the 8.1 update. That's a nice change from what happened with 8.0.

This leads me to believing AP1 is mostly stabilized and we have what we have. That gives me the freedom to forget about the updates and to simply enjoy the car for what it is.

As to the VW I'm mostly on the sidelines watching to see where they put their supercharger equivalents and how many stalls. So I can see if they're going to be a viable competitor. If I do jump ship to VW I'd have to laugh at the irony of it coming about from one of the greatest lies in automotive history.

Elon might fudge statistics and timelines a bit, but it's nowhere near what VW did.

I guess as a brand new Tesla owner, I haven't experienced the frustration of many others who expected updates to their vehicles and OS faster than they have arrived, but for a "Tesla Motors Club" it seems like some really just like to complain. I'm still waiting for ANY car company which is offering OTA updates other than Tesla. Audi, no; Jaguar, no; VW, no. So, good luck when an Audi e-Tron could use a refresh in a year.

Could Musk temper his stated goals a bit for the public? Possibly. What I believe though are these very challenging goals are what get the products and updates out as quick (though what to many seems slow) as they do. Without aggressive timelines Tesla would be like any other automotive company, making incremental product changes in upcoming model years rather than the revolutionary achievements Tesla has been able to make to date.

I can tell you from driving recent BMW's, Mercedes and Cadillacs I find the controls, even media systems on my MX far more intuitive. Could they be better, sure. So... I have to select a specific song on my iPhone versus the Tesla touch screen? This is a huge deal? Solution: Driving playlist I can easily scroll through with the steering wheel controls. And what is wrong with Slacker and Tunein? I kind of laugh at the 1990's CD player comment. You can't be serious right?

Take the Falcon doors on our Model X. Are they over the top? Yeah, they are. Are they party tricks? Yes, absolutely! Do they provide a legitimate function better than any rear minivan or crossover SUV door? Hell yes! So on top of additional utility (and the occasional inconvenience of their not opening very far in low garages), I get a vehicle my kids think is the batmobile and gets everyones attention, wanted or not. Could Tesla have just slapped regular doors on the X, called it good and launched it a year earlier? Yes. But I get a moment of amusement and a smile every time I open one of those doors and I'm so glad Tesla waited longer to work the problem to do things different.

So until Audi, Jaguar, VW, et al start thinking farther out of the box and consider revolutionizing transportation instead of just trying to match Tesla, I'll be keeping my MX and the potential OTA delays related to Elon time.

I guess as a brand new Tesla owner, I haven't experienced the frustration of many others who expected updates to their vehicles and OS faster than they have arrived, but for a "Tesla Motors Club" it seems like some really just like to complain. I'm still waiting for ANY car company which is offering OTA updates other than Tesla. Audi, no; Jaguar, no; VW, no. So, good luck when an Audi e-Tron could use a refresh in a year.

Could Musk temper his stated goals a bit for the public? Possibly. What I believe though are these very challenging goals are what get the products and updates out as quick (though what to many seems slow) as they do. Without aggressive timelines Tesla would be like any other automotive company, making incremental product changes in upcoming model years rather than the revolutionary achievements Tesla has been able to make to date.

I can tell you from driving recent BMW's, Mercedes and Cadillacs I find the controls, even media systems on my MX far more intuitive. Could they be better, sure. So... I have to select a specific song on my iPhone versus the Tesla touch screen? This is a huge deal? Solution: Driving playlist I can easily scroll through with the steering wheel controls. And what is wrong with Slacker and Tunein? I kind of laugh at the 1990's CD player comment. You can't be serious right?

Take the Falcon doors on our Model X. Are they over the top? Yeah, they are. Are they party tricks? Yes, absolutely! Do they provide a legitimate function better than any rear minivan or crossover SUV door? Hell yes! So on top of additional utility (and the occasional inconvenience of their not opening very far in low garages), I get a vehicle my kids think is the batmobile and gets everyones attention, wanted or not. Could Tesla have just slapped regular doors on the X, called it good and launched it a year earlier? Yes. But I get a moment of amusement and a smile every time I open one of those doors and I'm so glad Tesla waited longer to work the problem to do things different.

So until Audi, Jaguar, VW, et al start thinking farther out of the box and consider revolutionizing transportation instead of just trying to match Tesla, I'll be keeping my MX and the potential OTA delays related to Elon time.
This is spot on regarding Tesla experience and MX!!!

Reactions: NateB and Mike M
To me sketchpad was simply a distraction to give Classic/AP1 owners at least something, and most importantly something to share/talk about. It didn't take much in terms of company resources. Instead all that was tied up in testing/proving AP2.

As an AP1 owner I'm happy that they didn't take anything away in the 8.1 update. That's a nice change from what happened with 8.0.

This leads me to believing AP1 is mostly stabilized and we have what we have. That gives me the freedom to forget about the updates and to simply enjoy the car for what it is.

As to the VW I'm mostly on the sidelines watching to see where they put their supercharger equivalents and how many stalls. So I can see if they're going to be a viable competitor. If I do jump ship to VW I'd have to laugh at the irony of it coming about from one of the greatest lies in automotive history.

Elon might fudge statistics and timelines a bit, but it's nowhere near what VW did.
Did you get an update? I didn't know there was an update for AP1 cars yet. I'm still on 8.0.

Our "classic" S P85 hasn't seen the update that showed up immediately for our new S 100D.

Until 8.1 includes the promised improvements to the media player, browser and kernel, don't see much reason to get the current "8.1" on our pre-AP car...

Our "classic" S P85 hasn't seen the update that showed up immediately for our new S 100D.

Until 8.1 includes the promised improvements to the media player, browser and kernel, don't see much reason to get the current "8.1" on our pre-AP car...
I think that's precisely why we didn't get 8.1 yet. There's just no point for non-AP2 cars until the rest is ready.

If that's true, it should have been released only for Classic/AP1 owners. That would have created a lot more conversation! :)

• Funny
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS