Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets "no waypoints", "car will autonavigate to your destination."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Tesla Owners Silicon Valley @teslaownersSV
Do you think we could get waypoint with multiple destinations on one trip?

Elon Musk @elonmusk
No

Tesla Owners Silicon Valley @teslaownersSV
Any idea why? Is the operating system not compatible? By the way thanks for the response and Merry late Christmas

[URL='https://twitter.com/elonmusk']Elon Musk [URL='https://twitter.com/elonmusk']@elonmusk
Car should autonavigate to destinations based on your calendar. If nothing in calendar, should do work in morning & home in evening. Future versions will guess based on prior patterns (if preference enabled).
[/URL][/URL]
Elon Musk on Twitter

So we are not getting nav waypoints? That's weird. And based on Elon's reply, it seems to be another case of Elon not thinking it is needed. He seems to think that because the car can autonavigate to an address and in the future will be able to predict where you want to go, that you will not need to enter waypoints. That may be so but why not add it anyway? What would be the harm in adding waypoints for people who want to use them?

Talk about myopic. He's blind to what the customer has stated repeatedly they want.

I don't need nav when I'm doing the daily grind which is when the AI can "predict" what I'm doing after I've done it a dozen times. When I need nav and waypoints is when I'm on trips to places I've either never been to or haven't been to frequently enough for any AI to know where I'm going to want to go.

Every other navigation system on the market (be it cell phone apps, aftermarket nav units or OEM car manufacturer nav units) has this functionality because it's considered a basic and necessary function to navigation in 2019. Leave it to Tesla to think they know better than us what we want.

This would be akin to Tesla suddenly removing the ability to manually type in an address for destination because "the car's AI will just know already where you want to go before you do" which is just absurd.

The honeymoon period is over & I'm slowly falling out of "lust" with Tesla with each passing day it seems.

Talk about myopic. He's blind to what the customer has stated repeatedly they want.

I don't need nav when I'm doing the daily grind which is when the AI can "predict" what I'm doing after I've done it a dozen times. When I need nav and waypoints is when I'm on trips to places I've either never been to or haven't been to frequently enough for any AI to know where I'm going to want to go.

Every other navigation system on the market (be it cell phone apps, aftermarket nav units or OEM car manufacturer nav units) has this functionality because it's considered a basic and necessary function to navigation in 2019. Leave it to Tesla to think they know better than us what we want.

This would be akin to Tesla suddenly removing the ability to manually type in an address for destination because "the car's AI will just know already where you want to go before you do" which is just absurd.

The honeymoon period is over & I'm slowly falling out of "lust" with Tesla with each passing day it seems.

I agree that nav waypoints are a very basic must-have. It seems absurd not to add that functionality. And it should not be that hard either. Heck, if they can add games, they could surely add waypoints.

My concern is that the prediction algorithm is not going to be very good, causing owners to get frustrated when the car is autonavigating to the wrong address and they have to cancel all the time. And even if after months of fine tuning, the algorithm does get good, owners should still have the right to add waypoints to control where and how they navigate somewhere.

Hopefully, Elon will change his mind if enough customers complain.

What I find funny is if FSD was real then I'd NEED to set a waypoint to work around a Nav error that always happens on my route to work,

There is one point on the journey where the Nav wants to to take a left at a light to stay on the same road name that I'm on. But, if I do that then I have to take an uncontrolled left onto a busy highway. Where if I go straight instead then I can take a left at a stop light onto the busy highway.

It would be better if Tesla could give us some way to correct a route. There are also times where I want to choose a different route. I'd also like the ability to pick a route based on battery efficiency of the route.

At the very least Tesla could implement some kind of navigation shadow mode where it learned how I wanted to get from home to work, and it would just follow that.

What I find funny is if FSD was real then I'd NEED to set a waypoint to work around a Nav error that always happens on my route to work,

There is one point on the journey where the Nav wants to to take a left at a light to stay on the same road name that I'm on. But, if I do that then I have to take an uncontrolled left onto a busy highway. Where if I go straight instead then I can take a left at a stop light onto the busy highway.

It would be better if Tesla could give us some way to correct a route. There are also times where I want to choose a different route. I'd also like the ability to pick a route based on battery efficiency of the route.

At the very least Tesla could implement some kind of navigation shadow mode where it learned how I wanted to get from home to work, and it would just follow that.

Instead of just letting the driver input the correction. Tesla will probably spend months using fancy machine learning to develop a NN that can figure it out on its own. LOL.

Reactions: X-pilot and OPRCE
It blows my mind that Tesla is spending all this time developing new games, easter eggs and unnecessary (albeit fun) features, but Tesla still hasn't developed something as basic as waypoints for navigation!!!

Hell, even cars from the 2000s had waypoints on their in-car nav systems ffs!

It's super frustrating that Tesla is overlooking how fundamentally important waypoints are; especially for a high-end vehicle. Do they not realize how frequently people travel from point A to point B via multiple midpoints!?! This happens basically every road trip.

I saw some speculation on Reddit that Elon may have misunderstood the question. His reply seems to be focused on daily commutes only so I gotta believe they’re right.
This was in the back of my mind because it doesn't seem a logical answer to the question as structured or presented after the fact. This makes more sense for a daily commute type scenario but for everything else... we just need waypoints. This should be done in a single day of coding it's so simple/routine in 2019. Make it happen Elon!

I don't need nav when I'm doing the daily grind which is when the AI can "predict" what I'm doing after I've done it a dozen times.
This is where you miss the entire point of FSD.
Tesla (Elon) does not want you to "drive" the car, he wants you to tell it where to go and it does it.
So, if you want to go to Starbucks or Krispy Kreme, you tell the car to go to Starbucks or Krispy Kreme, and it does it.

I still think there is a need for waypoints though!

Having the mundane & stressful (commute) routes removed from your daily life by a robot, sounds like an awesome thing!

Remember that this is the guy who had an event about "The End of Range Anxiety", launching a piece of *sugar* navigation system that only worked properly if you entered the next Supercharger as the destination.

So, you shouldn't be surprised that he's bullshitting away the need for waypoints with "visionary" messages.

Last edited:
I personally think waypoints are a HUGE must have fort any EV. There is almost no chance of an ICE not being able to find a gas station along your route.HOWEVER...for an EV....if you have a lot of stop planned it is essential to have some kind of idea of your state of charge along that route. I don't need waypoints routinely but there are times I have to pull up ev trip planner just to get an idea of where I might need to charge at a particular point. Elon...as others have said this is a no-brainer...just do it...

Last edited:
The lack of waypoints has been a glaring omission for years. It's always near the top of the list of features people want. As I've stated here before, their continual absence at this point is either the result of obstinate refusal or spite. It shows me how the company views me when we get farts instead of a feature we want and could actually use.

Seriously on a road trip I may not be stopping for charging but maybe I want to stop and get lunch?

or if I’m headed home and need to stop at a grocery store? Today my cars tells me 5 different routes to go home based on traffic on any given day. How about get me home and stop at the most direct grocery store along the way?

Reactions: APotatoGod