Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets "no waypoints", "car will autonavigate to your destination."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh give me a break, this guy is so out of touch. On a long trip, we want to navigate to some new place to eat in an area we aren't familiar with. It's such a pain in the ass to cancel the current nav session and fiddle with the damn screen to find something while driving. I'm not putting a wimsical Cracker Barrel appointment on my calendar..... unless Elon is telling me that car will know I want Cracker Barrell. But if it can't know when I want the windshield wipers on, I highly doubt it's accuracy on my Cracker Barrel cravings.

Oh give me a break, this guy is so out of touch. On a long trip, we want to navigate to some new place to eat in an area we aren't familiar with. It's such a pain in the ass to cancel the current nav session and fiddle with the damn screen to find something while driving. I'm not putting a wimsical Cracker Barrel appointment on my calendar..... unless Elon is telling me that car will know I want Cracker Barrell. But if it can't know when I want the windshield wipers on, I highly doubt it's accuracy on my Cracker Barrel cravings.

It's OK, he just made it up to justify the no.
It's ironic, when you think about it.

Reactions: motocoder
I have problems thinking that a guy with so much vision is missing basic issues like round trips for day tripping.
Looks like I’ll be sticking to abetterrouteplaner.
Has anyone tried that in the car browser for trips?
I attempted it but my MCU1 browser is almost worthless at this point. I preferred having my rear-view-cam up all of the time and didn't want to choose having it hidden for a browser that didn't work well plus ultimately I was just displaying two maps a the same time which seemed redundant whereas the rear cam was useful real-time info.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
I have problems thinking that a guy with so much vision is missing basic issues like round trips for day tripping.
Looks like I’ll be sticking to abetterrouteplaner.
Has anyone tried that in the car browser for trips?
It works fairly well on the Model 3 browser. Of course, the big downside is that it doesn't do live navigation and there is no way to transfer waypoints to the Tesla navigation system, so you have to re-enter the destinations manually if you need navigation or want to use the battery preconditioning when approaching superchargers. I hope that the ABRP iOS app will eventually get a feature to send waypoints to the car through the Tesla app ...

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE and Twiglett
I can't recall ever using waypoints, although I know several people that do, but it would be nice to see alternate routes that you can choose which way you prefer to go, especially as NOA/FSD continues to advance.
It's not even so much as a fully waypoint trip prepared ahead of time, as it is inserting a stop along the way of an in-progress trip and having it give you an updated range calculation.

It seems that Elon really wants Nav to be "smarter" and use AI to reroute you rather than rely on waypoints:

"In a tweet response to a Tesla owner who requested the feature, the Tesla CEO agrees that Navigate on Autopilot should be able to adapt to the driver’s preference and anticipate where they want to go during certain times of the day."
Tesla’s Navigate on Autopilot may soon auto-route to driver's preferred destinations

Really? The Jaguar EV will accept multiple destinations for a single trip. I've never played with the Tesla Nav, only GM, Carplay, and JLR. I assumed they would all do that.
Or are you thinking: While driving, touch the map path in the middle, and drag it to a waypoint. One of my apps does that but I can't remember which.

Last edited:
Really? The Jaguar EV will accept multiple destinations for a single trip. I've never played with the Tesla Nav, only GM, Carplay, and JLR. I assumed they would all do that.
Or are you thinking: While driving, touch the map path in the middle, and drag it to a waypoint. One of my apps does that but I can't remember which.
For about fifteen years, Lexus has a list of upcoming locations at the next exit on your current route. That's really all I'm asking for now. Just tell me, easily, what's up ahead (not fifty miles behind, geesh). And better yet, are there any Tesla/non Tesla charging options around there.

Beyond that, sometimes I may want to take a trip that is circuitus and has several stops that may or may not need charging, en route. Rather than ten different interactions with the nav, let me add them in the beginning and move on with my life. Evtripplanner is a great example of this.

Reactions: kavyboy
It seems that Elon really wants Nav to be "smarter" and use AI to reroute you rather than rely on waypoints:

"In a tweet response to a Tesla owner who requested the feature, the Tesla CEO agrees that Navigate on Autopilot should be able to adapt to the driver’s preference and anticipate where they want to go during certain times of the day."
Tesla’s Navigate on Autopilot may soon auto-route to driver's preferred destinations

Me: On my way to Aunt Martha's, I'd like to stop at that museum I've never been to before. (Substitute museum with park, arena, restaurant, B&B, winery, stadium, motel, etc.)

Elon: No. No waypoints. Only Autopilot.

Me: I'm on AP1.

Pre-AP guy: I don't even have that!

Elon: I said no.

Fast-forward...

AP4 guy: Why is this routing me to waste-water treatment plant? Can I stop the "Make a U-turn if possible message"?

It's fairly simple; I'm on road trip & decide as a pull out of a Supercharger that I want to stop at a convenience store along my route to grab an energy drink.

I'd like to see a map, along my route, of options to select to add as a waypoint to my existing route w/o having to cancel my entire route after trying to memorize where it was, select the convenience store and then set my final destination once again after I'm done.

Just about every other auto manufacturer's nav & mobile phone's nav has been able to do this for the better part of a decade now.
Perhaps Teslas should first demonstrate the capacity to perform the basic before trying to dazzle us all with something never before seen.

Sat nav can’t even get a destination right when given a full UK postcode. It’s often several miles off. To make matters worse, you often can’t even override destinations sent as calendar event or those sent via app.

If they can’t get the basics right I have no hope for Musks proposals even if they did sound sensible

My Raven MS already has limited waypoint support. Only trouble is I can't select them myself and they are all called 'SuperCharger'.

Of course Tesla gets the need for waypoints. Staggerring that I can't just click on map and select 'Navigate through here'. For a tech company / tech car this is very lame.

Yes its possible, no Tesla wont add the functionality until they can cover a " there and back" scenario, almost everwhere.

Even in Norcal, most of destinations would fail if you added a return, which would show a black eye on Tesla, thus they dont show it. Nav would need to replicate Abetterrouteplanner.com, which shows all types and custom charging spots... something Tesla won't show..

• Helpful
Reactions: emorog
My Raven MS already has limited waypoint support. Only trouble is I can't select them myself and they are all called 'SuperCharger'.

Of course Tesla gets the need for waypoints. Staggerring that I can't just click on map and select 'Navigate through here'. For a tech company / tech car this is very lame.
That's the thing: there's already code deployed and tested to navigate by waypoint. The only thing missing is the ability of users to add them manually. So, there's no technical reason we couldn't have waypoints, they just refuse.

Reactions: emorog
The lack of waypoints has been a glaring omission for years. It's always near the top of the list of features people want. As I've stated here before, their continual absence at this point is either the result of obstinate refusal or spite. It shows me how the company views me when we get farts instead of a feature we want and could actually use.

its spite. for the same reason why no tesla will get a hud.

Sat nav can’t even get a destination right when given a full UK postcode. It’s often several miles off. To make matters worse, you often can’t even override destinations sent as calendar event or those sent via app.

If they can’t get the basics right I have no hope for Musks proposals even if they did sound sensible

UK is the odd one out coz you have a unique postcode system which includes the road. dont think tesla thought of that and i doubt the uk has any localisation team as you just get the USA software with eu signs/rhd flip