Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets "no waypoints", "car will autonavigate to your destination."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon caved. Waypoints are coming!

9zfvqgm.png

2004 Prius you could set a memory point so that when you approached it from a certain direction it would give you a warning chime: worked great for setting warning alarms for known speed traps.

I can't find anything to have this functionality since then.

Off-topic: Mind blown. I drove a 2005 Prius for 10 years and never knew about this.

Bruce.

Or better yet, what if I want to go out of my way to a destination charger to see what's around there? Or maybe I know where i want to go for an interim stop but I want to keep the final destination online so I can gauge my arrival time properly with the detour? So many uses for waypoints.

Also when the Navigator recommends a different Supercharger than the one you want to stop at....

• Funny
Reactions: X Fan
Also when the Navigator recommends a different Supercharger than the one you want to stop at....

For example: on the 710 mile trip from the Chicago 'burbs to the Atlanta 'burbs, the Navigator wants us to charge in
- Zionsville, IN
- Bowling Green, KY
- Manchester, TN

Except that the first stop is a forecast 55 minute charge followed by a 253 mile leg, which tells me it wants us to charge to 100%, and probably also drive at, or below, the speed limit on that leg.

Better to break that awful leg with a top-up at one of the two Supercharger locations in Louisville, KY and therefore a short charge in both Zionsville and Louisville.

Being able to set a waypoint at one of the Louisville Superchargers would fix this.

I suspect the traveling salesperson market has shrunk a lot since 2004.

Just one waypoint covers a lot of use cases, including "Where are we going to eat?"

That's still one more than the system allows though because it's a nav system from 1993.

You misunderstand the point of the salesman feature too.

I need to go to say a grocery store, pharmacy, and a hardware store. Travelling salesman problem solves for the best route to do that.

It's not necessarily daily useful, but it's pretty useful occasionally and it's a 20 year old solved problem and is trivial to support on modern compute.