Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets "no waypoints", "car will autonavigate to your destination."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't know that for certain, but the user experience gave me a strong hunch that was the case. Which doesn't hold up much hope for FSD in the UK either (beyond current level

Well yeah the traffic situation in Europe and especially UK is too complex anyway for an autopilot. If FSD is a thing rural australia and USA will see it first. Well... pending legislation.

It's seems so obvious, you need waypoints to plan your charging properly when your first destination has no charging facility.
Then your last charging before your first destination must include the power to reach the next charging facility after the first destination.
Basically you use ABRP for the total trip, check the calculated SoC at the first destination and then use that to assess how long to charge before your first destination.
If I could do that be calendar entries I would even do so, but I didn't find that option either. It's also a bit cumbersome to put a destination in your navi by a calendar option. I haven't put any spontaneous sight seeings in my calendar so far. :-0

FSD/Autopilot nor AI will be able to solve this. It may give an intelligent guess, but only I decide there and then if I make that detour or not.

Reactions: emorog
I did a 6,100 mile trip last summer.

Some of it thru the southwest with long stretches with few or no superchargers. Had lots of fun using aBetterRoutePlanner with waypoints galore since i didn't plan to go the way the car defaults too and it let me make sure i could go the way i wanted without running out of juice. I spent hours joyously what-if'ing routes from South Florida to South Idaho then back thru Moab and Monument Valley, Taos, Eagles Nest and then south to New Orleans before heading to South Florida

After the first day I finally would just enter where I wanted to snack/dine/sleep/checkout and let the car figure the route and stops. I rarely entered a SC as a destination. I might charge longer if I wanted more battery left then the default "just enough to get to your destination". This was easy and fast and I could change of the fly. I was surprised I had no use for waypoints as my range would vary based on weather, temperatures, and right foot. The nav system would advise as needed.

I did have one stretch of 206 miles between superchargers (started with a max speed of 70mph and temps of 101F... arrived with 4% battery and having pissed off a lot of people by having to do 55mph on a 2-lane highway).

Can't wait to do a trip from South Florida to Canada, Idaho, Northern & Southern Calif and back.

• Informative
Reactions: emorog
My last 4 cars before my first Model X were all Ford Escape Hybrids with the Ford Navigation. For nav system reference, I owned a 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012, all with OEM nav system and data from SiriusXM. Several things that Tesla is missing that I loved about that nav system are:

1. In-route Navigation - I'm on a road trip with final destination already programmed in nav system. If I wanted a coffee, I could search for Starbucks and I had the option of listing their location by simple proximity OR along my active navigation route. Once I selected the location, it added it as a waypoint without cancelling my trip navigation.

2. Weather Maps (RADAR) - I could instantly check to see if I was driving into bad weather.

3. Weather Maps (wind speed and direction) - The whole reason I owned a hybrid was to get better fuel economy and being able to anticipate headwinds, tailwinds and crosswinds along the way really helped. Knowing I had a tailwind or headwind allowed me to adjust my speed to compensate for fuel consumption.

Both Ford's nav system and another nav system I use called Navigon (a Garmin iOS app) allow me to toggle ON/OFF they types of businesses (icons) I want to see pointed out on the map. This allows me to limit the clutter on the nav screen while ensuring that I ALWAYS get to see the business types I am most likely to use.

KEY POINT: Tesla is missing a HUGE opportunity to satisfy a basic customer navigation function (waypoints) while potentially monetizing their "big screen" infotainment ecosystem. Just like Ford/XM and Garmin have done with their nav systems, Tesla could profit from companies, like Starbucks and others, who want Tesla customer and are willing to pay Tesla to get their logo (locations) overlaid on Tesla's navigation maps. In the same way that Tesla provides information on Supercharger locations when you tap on the Supercharger icon or how Ford/XM and Garmin provide additional information (address, phone number, hours, fuel prices,etc.) by clicking on a merchant's logo on the nav screen, similar functionality in Tesla's nav system would be a profit center for Tesla and a huge resource for Tesla owners.

My last 4 cars before my first Model X were all Ford Escape Hybrids with the Ford Navigation. For nav system reference, I owned a 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012, all with OEM nav system and data from SiriusXM. Several things that Tesla is missing that I loved about that nav system are:

1. In-route Navigation - I'm on a road trip with final destination already programmed in nav system. If I wanted a coffee, I could search for Starbucks and I had the option of listing their location by simple proximity OR along my active navigation route. Once I selected the location, it added it as a waypoint without cancelling my trip navigation.

2. Weather Maps (RADAR) - I could instantly check to see if I was driving into bad weather.

3. Weather Maps (wind speed and direction) - The whole reason I owned a hybrid was to get better fuel economy and being able to anticipate headwinds, tailwinds and crosswinds along the way really helped. Knowing I had a tailwind or headwind allowed me to adjust my speed to compensate for fuel consumption.

Both Ford's nav system and another nav system I use called Navigon (a Garmin iOS app) allow me to toggle ON/OFF they types of businesses (icons) I want to see pointed out on the map. This allows me to limit the clutter on the nav screen while ensuring that I ALWAYS get to see the business types I am most likely to use.

KEY POINT: Tesla is missing a HUGE opportunity to satisfy a basic customer navigation function (waypoints) while potentially monetizing their "big screen" infotainment ecosystem. Just like Ford/XM and Garmin have done with their nav systems, Tesla could profit from companies, like Starbucks and others, who want Tesla customer and are willing to pay Tesla to get their logo (locations) overlaid on Tesla's navigation maps. In the same way that Tesla provides information on Supercharger locations when you tap on the Supercharger icon or how Ford/XM and Garmin provide additional information (address, phone number, hours, fuel prices,etc.) by clicking on a merchant's logo on the nav screen, similar functionality in Tesla's nav system would be a profit center for Tesla and a huge resource for Tesla owners.
I think people don't realize that Elon doesn't understand the question. It's exactly like when he was asked at that FSD event "What will keep people from just buying 10 Model 3's and having their own FSD taxi service" and he responded, "that would be stupid, no one would do that." I figure he was under the impression that somehow an end-user/company would attempt to build a software platform for taxi logistics, using Mode 3's. Which of course, they wouldn't do. But they absolutely would buy 1,2,10 cars and "rent" them out under Tesla's platform.

I think the way you described it is exactly what we all want, a deviation from current trip progress that can't be known ahead of time or by some "machine learning" BS. Elon thinks we want to micro-manage the charging stops or some other sort of nonsense.

Reactions: bhzmark
Garmin provide additional information

Garmin has been miles ahead on in route info and planning for years. Being able to search points of interest 'on my route' is so useful. Likewise phone number of way points or destination. And this on tiny handheld units from around 20 years ago.

The map views and combination of IC display with MCU screen works great, but absence of basic features like way points really spoils the system.

I also agree with the idea that based on his comments Elon doesn't seem to get what it is to be en-route and want to make a diversion, try different alternatives and have several flexible way points that you might decide to change while driving.

Seems so obvious.

I think the way you described it is exactly what we all want, a deviation from current trip progress that can't be known ahead of time or by some "machine learning" BS. Elon thinks we want to micro-manage the charging stops or some other sort of nonsense.

@supratachophobia Thank you, all we can do is keep providing Elon and team suggestions until they get it. I have confidence we shall prevail! :)

Garmin has been miles ahead on in route info and planning for years. Being able to search points of interest 'on my route' is so useful. Likewise phone number of way points or destination. And this on tiny handheld units from around 20 years ago.

The map views and combination of IC display with MCU screen works great, but absence of basic features like way points really spoils the system.

I also agree with the idea that based on his comments Elon doesn't seem to get what it is to be en-route and want to make a diversion, try different alternatives and have several flexible way points that you might decide to change while driving.

Seems so obvious.

@Battpower I frequently use my iPad on the center console of my X for that very reason. It provides much of the missing functionality, such as weather RADAR, Navigon waypoint navigation and destination info at the tap of a logo icon. Navigon allows me to navigate to an interim destination without resetting my Tesla nav system.

Reactions: Battpower
2004 Prius you could set a memory point so that when you approached it from a certain direction it would give you a warning chime: worked great for setting warning alarms for known speed traps.

I can't find anything to have this functionality since then.

upload_2020-7-24_14-5-35.png

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omnav-s/OM47459U/pdf/OM47459U.pdf

• Helpful
Reactions: kavyboy
  • Funny
Reactions: captain_sahaj
For short trips of less than 100 miles, you do not need waypoints. However, for longer trips where you should stop for charging or to relax and stretch, you need waypoints that should correspond to Super Charger Stations. These should auto populate and allow override.