Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets "pure vision" will solve phantom braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything is wrong. If it were a complete disaster there would be more reports. Best case is there is something wrong with his car... otherwise it smells like FUD to me. Just sayin.
Touch screens locking up should not cause your brakes to lock up. That's even more of a design issue if true.
Only a few people have radarless cars- and only a few of those have driven them 500 miles. I'm sure this is a edge case, but it sure doesn't sound like vision has solved phantom braking, and it is interesting to hear experiences from new customers, which is all we have right now given Tesla's opacity on this issue overall.
But yes, much easier to dismiss this as someone lying to create "FUD," and assume vision did solve phantom braking.

Touch screens locking up should not cause your brakes to lock up. That's even more of a design issue if true.
Only a few people have radarless cars- and only a few of those have driven them 500 miles. I'm sure this is a edge case, but it sure doesn't sound like vision has solved phantom braking, and it is interesting to hear experiences from new customers, which is all we have right now given Tesla's opacity on this issue overall.
But yes, much easier to dismiss this as someone lying to create "FUD," and assume vision did solve phantom braking.

that's why I dong think if is true. It doesn’t make sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
Tesla trying to fix autopilot:
YXhT6fA.gif

After the map """update""" it suddenly slows down from 70 kmh to 50 kmh where there were never any sign. Seems like we are getting further and further away.

After the map """update""" it suddenly slows down from 70 kmh to 50 kmh where there were never any sign. Seems like we are getting further and further away.
I noticed this weekend that my HW3 car (with radar) really didn't want to pass any bikes that were clearly off the roadbed on the very wide bike lane. It saw them on the screen, and it just slowed down and matched their pace until I used the pedal to get ahead, and then it happily went back to the set speed. Never had that happen before, but I also got a SW update last week.

There's going to be a lot of weirdness before it's better.

Reactions: emmz0r
I don't know if I'm late in the thread but I can report that on 2021.04.18, phantom braking is not a thing for me anymore. It's been replaced with a Forward Collision Warning (and a few beeps) instead. It doesn't brake though. Same spots phantom braking used to happen. I think this makes it easier for Tesla to collect feedback, since I don't do anything hence proving the "shadow" phantom braking wrong.

Sorry if I'm repeating someone else, I just noticed this during memorial day weekend and didn't feel like reading through 12 pages to see if my statement is a duplicate :)

Maybe you are missing the restrictions applied to Tesla Vision vehicles that aren't applied to radar equipped ones:

It sounds like once they get Tesla Vision to feature parity with radar supported Autopilot that they will transition all of the vehicles over time. (Probably some regulator approvals necessary for some regions.)
This goes back to Elon’s lies about we need to get parts and not hold up production of cars due to supply issues and costs!

Where are the parts magically coming from in every other market if there is a global supply issues?!?! And... MS and MX cars in the US are still getting it?

This whole thing isn’t passing the sniff test. It will be a matter of weeks before we know a lot more... so maintaining some calm, but have to call out Elon’s constant BS when my meter is pegging the needle.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I don't know if I'm late in the thread but I can report that on 2021.04.18, phantom braking is not a thing for me anymore. It's been replaced with a Forward Collision Warning (and a few beeps) instead. It doesn't brake though. Same spots phantom braking used to happen. I think this makes it easier for Tesla to collect feedback, since I don't do anything hence proving the "shadow" phantom braking wrong.

Sorry if I'm repeating someone else, I just noticed this during memorial day weekend and didn't feel like reading through 12 pages to see if my statement is a duplicate :)
That’s most likely because 4.18 uses radar. If you were on the 4.15.x branch before, you probably had the vision code, hence the extra phantom braking.

I agree, I’ve had zero phantom breaks ever since being on 4.18 for a few weeks now. I used to have some reliable areas under freeway bridges but absolutely zero phantoms breaks now.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Yea, but read the post. Everything is wrong. If it were a complete disaster there would be more reports. Best case is there is something wrong with his car... otherwise it smells like FUD to me. Just sayin.
Yeah, I don't like saying anybody is just making stuff up to make Tesla look bad after I saw people claiming I was doing that with my reddit post. That being said I would be beyond surprised if there wasn't something very wrong with their car. Phantom braking is very much still a thing, but it seems to be reduced and not as bad of phantom brakes from my experience.

It can be hard to say since it seems it will not phantom brake for 100 miles, then it will twice in the next 10 miles. Their experience is beyond extreme though and likely something specific to them.

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar

I just noticed that those turned off school 15mph traffic lights cause my car to... ~not~ phantom brake, but reduce speed as if it's not confident of what it displays (greee/red/yellow/off). It's very much predictable. Would you guys consider that phantom braking?

I just noticed that those turned off school 15mph traffic lights cause my car to... ~not~ phantom brake, but reduce speed as if it's not confident of what it displays (greee/red/yellow/off). It's very much predictable. Would you guys consider that phantom braking?
It does that for signaled crosswalks as well.
But it behaves more like letting go of the accelerator, not braking.

Reactions: helvio
That’s most likely because 4.18 uses radar. If you were on the 4.15.x branch before, you probably had the vision code, hence the extra phantom braking.
Thanks for this comment. I had 4.15 and was wondering what in the WORLD happened to the system. It was terrible! It was braking at EVERYTHING. By the time 4.18 rolled out… phantom braking seems to be either back to normal or completely eliminated. Not sure which because I haven’t driven enough to know. But it only took about 3 short trips to realize that 4.15 was horrific.

Thanks for this comment. I had 4.15 and was wondering what in the WORLD happened to the system. It was terrible! It was braking at EVERYTHING. By the time 4.18 rolled out… phantom braking seems to be either back to normal or completely eliminated. Not sure which because I haven’t driven enough to know. But it only took about 3 short trips to realize that 4.15 was horrific.

I have 4.18 and it's braking like crazy in front of overpasses. One step forward, 10 steps back. I remember in 2018, it was better. Rarely nags and no ghost braking