Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets: Solar Roof and solar panels will only be sold integrated with Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is the same screenshot as mine. If you press ADD you will get the default of 4 in your case. Then the box says EDIT and the choices are 1-10. My point is there no longer seems to be a way to order without ordering at least one Powerwall.

Sure there is. Don't click the "Add" button. Or once you do click it you can click the X in the upper right corner of the Powerwall box to remove them.

I can still configure a solar system with no Powerwall.......
Good for you. My only comment is, if the tweet is correct then most likely the glitch that allowed you to do that will most likely result in your order being delayed according to Tesla time, until they fix the glitch. I am three days from hearing about an offer we are making on another home or I would put up a $100 deposit to see if I could still get an inexpensive solar system.

Good for you. My only comment is, if the tweet is correct then most likely the glitch that allowed you to do that will most likely result in your order being delayed according to Tesla time, until they fix the glitch. I am three days from hearing about an offer we are making on another home or I would put up a $100 deposit to see if I could still get an inexpensive solar system.
If the site lets you order it, then why not give it a shot? It is a $100 refundable deposit. You don't have much to lose. I would get an order in asap if I was remotely interested in a system without PW. Worst case is they don't honor it and they refund your $100.

Reactions: Ampster and MP3Mike
it's not even a concern.
Except for me, the gas meter is within 30 inches of my main panel and I could possibly get faced with the alternative of having to move one or the other. It would be simpler for me to remove the gas meter since my plan is to move everything else to electric. It all depends on where you are standing.

Reactions: BM3B
If the site lets you order it, then why not give it a shot?
Two weeks ago I would have done that. Now, based on the recent changes I don't want to be stuck with an orphan inverter, which sounds like that might be the case. I would prefer to grind down a local installer or do a self install. I have no issue with the service on my cars but I would not want to wait like many have had to for an inverter replacement. From a risk management perspective losing a thousand or more kWhs in a month or two is a risk I would rather not take. It took me a week to swap out a self installed Solaredge inverter that went bad two years ago.

Last edited:
Except for me, the gas meter is within 30 inches of my main panel and I could possibly get faced with the alternative of having to move one or the other. It would be simpler for me to remove the gas meter since my plan is to move everything else to electric. It all depends on where you are standing.
Is the 36 inch rule for any solar install, or only if you need panel upgrade. I have an order in, nothing has been said about the panel at this point. I have already had the site survey done and still waiting for the results. Guy who came out said everything was in order, but later found out might be some issues with the underlayment. Nothing about the meter. I have been watching this thread closely, and starting to wonder if my order with no PW is why its been stalled now for a while.

Is the 36 inch rule for any solar install, or only if you need panel upgrade.
I do not know. It is all speculative on a home we are making an offer on. I know it would need a new electrical panel upgrade and was going to do that before the future install so I could configure an essential loads panel on an interior wall just inside of where the main panel and gas meter are. I don't even know if it is a PG&E rule or a building code. I have that thread bookmarked if or when I get to that point.

Reactions: brian.c
I do not know. It is all speculative on a home we are making an offer on. I know it would need a new electrical panel upgrade and was going to do that before the future install so I could configure an essential loads panel on an interior wall just inside of where the main panel and gas meter are. I don't even know if it is a PG&E rule or a building code. I have that thread bookmarked if or when I get to that point.
Why not do whole house and make it easy? Just do not use what you want to save power on. So easy

Why not do whole house and make it easy?
That is my long term plan. I already have a hybrid inverter and 42kWh of batteries. It is a potential new home so I need to get the offer accepted first Then when it closes, get some production installed, then install the hybrid inverter and then converter the AC compressor and Fancoil to inverter driven devices. By then I will probably find a reasonable cost heat pump clothes dryer. The two Tesla's can consume any extra production I have. I have already calculated that I can make that work with about 12kW of solar panels.

Answering myself: I asked my project adviser whether Elon's description of the simplified connection meant that the connection between the solar roof and powerwalls would be DC. He repied, "Powerwall 2 is an AC Powerwall, and it will be configured as such." So I interpret Elon's statement to simply mean that they will only do whole-house configurations with the gateway between the meter and main panel and have the powerwalls and inverter connected to the gateway as usual.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Huh, you just pulled on it and it popped off? Mine has a ring on it with a tamper resistant lock on it. So if it gets removed PG&E will know somebody messed with it.
The "tamper resistant lock" is highly tamper-able, and Tesla did it because pulling the meter is the only way to disconnect the MSP from the grid. Ain't nobody from PG&E has looked or seemingly cares. The meter is read remotely and apparently every 15 minutes and has (I assume) an identifier included in the readings. It's not like I could pull it off and reconnect the house with a non-metered connecting device.

20210427_175458.jpg

The "tamper resistant lock" is highly tamper-able, and Tesla did it because pulling the meter is the only way to disconnect the MSP from the grid. Ain't nobody from PG&E has looked or seemingly cares. The meter is read remotely and apparently every 15 minutes and has (I assume) an identifier included in the readings. It's not like I could pull it off and reconnect the house with a non-metered connecting device.

View attachment 657576
I don't know about PG&E, but generally utilities like to be told that the seal is broken before they find it themselves. "I was walking by the meter today and noticed the seal was broken....thought that you would want to know." I have called it in a couple of times. More than once I was told "ok, thanks, but we won't send anyone out to fix it." YMMV...

All the best,

BG

View attachment 657576

Yeah, that's why if you need your power shut off to safely work on a main service panel, you need to schedule a service disconnect with the PoCo. This way the county/city is alerted of the permit, the PoCo is allowed to inspect the plan, and the upgrade/replacement is done above board. Of course, in my case, some overzealous line worker can still crap all over the parade, but at least I'm operating the way I'm supposed to and the PoCo is at fault.

You basically just admitted that Tesla violated county/city code by gripping and ripping your meter socket out to perform their own self-initiated service disconnect. Firemen are allowed to do this to make the home safe, but you sure aren't since that meter isn't your property. I don't think Tesla can make violating codes part of their standard operating procedure to add solar and batteries to homes.

The PoCo will be the ones to remove their meter after they disconnect your service safely. Then the PoCo reinstalls the meter (and tamper-evident ring/lock) after the home passes inspection where the inspector grants the meter release.

Yes, this all sucks, but the whole point of these rules is to prevent unauthorized work that affects the grid.

View attachment 657576
When my contractor installed the GateWay last month in preparation for installing PowerWalls (hopefully next month) they needed to pull the PGE meter to safely reroute the lines to the GateWay as they needed to be pulled out the top of the panel box.

Before leaving they when back to their truck and got a new seal and installed it on the meter. I assume they are given the seals by PGE to handle such cases.

PGE knows when the meter is pulled since they are all networked now so it makes sense for the contractors to have these seals.

• Informative
Reactions: cobra
When my contractor installed the GateWay last month in preparation for installing PowerWalls (hopefully next month) they needed to pull the PGE meter to safely reroute the lines to the GateWay as they needed to be pulled out the top of the panel box.

Before leaving they when back to their truck and got a new seal and installed it on the meter. I assume they are given the seals by PGE to handle such cases.

PGE knows when the meter is pulled since they are all networked now so it makes sense for the contractors to have these seals.

I think it's funny I got punished severely for Sunrun using PG&E's authorized method of actually scheduling and performing a disconnect. Had Sunrun just snipped that lock and ripped the meter, I could have saved 4 months on my install. PG&E and their nosy army crapped all over my installation. But your installer didn't risk talking to PG&E and just did the meter disconnect and release on their own without contacting the PoCo.

@Vines is doing it wrong too... just grip and rip that meter. Why are you applying for a service disconnect and wasting money? haha.

To my knowledge, Elon has not said anything about not selling PowerWalls to contractors which is where my PowerWalls are coming from. He just said that if you want a PowerWall or Solar from Tesla direct you must get both.

During yesterday's conference call it was said that PowerWalls are making money. It is just Solar that is underwater on their previous pricing.

Yeah, that's why if you need your power shut off to safely work on a main service panel, you need to schedule a service disconnect with the PoCo. This way the county/city is alerted of the permit, the PoCo is allowed to inspect the plan, and the upgrade/replacement is done above board. Of course, in my case, some overzealous line worker can still crap all over the parade, but at least I'm operating the way I'm supposed to and the PoCo is at fault.

You basically just admitted that Tesla violated county/city code by gripping and ripping your meter socket out to perform their own self-initiated service disconnect. Firemen are allowed to do this to make the home safe, but you sure aren't since that meter isn't your property. I don't think Tesla can make violating codes part of their standard operating procedure to add solar and batteries to homes.

The PoCo will be the ones to remove their meter after they disconnect your service safely. Then the PoCo reinstalls the meter (and tamper-evident ring/lock) after the home passes inspection where the inspector grants the meter release.

Yes, this all sucks, but the whole point of these rules is to prevent unauthorized work that affects the grid.
It seems like this may also vary by jurisdiction. From what I could tell, Tesla called in to the utility and requested permission to remove the meter. It was granted over the phone, they removed it, did their work, and put it back. I think the utility was expected to add a new seal when they replaced the meter, but since it turns out they no longer do that (just software update) that never happened.

It seems like this may also vary by jurisdiction. From what I could tell, Tesla called in to the utility and requested permission to remove the meter. It was granted over the phone, they removed it, did their work, and put it back. I think the utility was expected to add a new seal when they replaced the meter, but since it turns out they no longer do that (just software update) that never happened.

I found this:

It seems like with above ground single phase service (and if there's no lock on the meter) a licensed electrician do the meter removal. But the contractor cannot reconnect service; PG&E must actually put the meter back in. Presumably, they will only put it back in if the county/city inspector has signed a meter release.

So yeah, if someone's snipping that "easy to bypass lock" off, that's just them trying to save time and cutting corners. I still think it's stupid how Sunrun did things by the strict definition of "the book" and I still got my ass handed to me by PG&E workers. They accused Sunrun of doing all manner of shady crap and told me my install wasn't safe.