Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets: Solar Roof and solar panels will only be sold integrated with Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are current Powerwall installations able to deliver power in parallel with solar in this manner?
Yes, the TEG2 manages the load including combing inputs from grid, solar, and PWs all at the same time or just one or two to meet house load.

With the idea of moving the PW inverters into the Tesla solar inverter... what about the TEG? Can that be incorporated into the same box as the inverter? Not sure why not.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
being in NJ with net metering, i just placed my solar order. We never lose power and have battery back up sump pump and a generator just in case. I can't justify paying for the powerwall here, but do see the value it offers in many other scenarios.

Figure i will get their plan in the next few days and then see what else develops on these changes

Last edited:
too bad as I was going to purchase Tesla solar panels once Congress gets done fussing around with the new credits. However, I do not need a Powerwall in our community with all underground lines. We've had less than a handful of lengthy power outages in 30+ years. The PW warranty would expire before I ever needed it. (unless I arbitrage the electric rate by using the PW to run the house every night from 4-8 pm, but I assume that would reduce its useful life. (anyone know?)

Yes, the TEG2 manages the load including combing inputs from grid, solar, and PWs all at the same time or just one or two to meet house load.

With the idea of moving the PW inverters into the Tesla solar inverter... what about the TEG? Can that be incorporated into the same box as the inverter? Not sure why not.

Did I miss where it was announced somewhere that tesla is actually removing the inverter from the Powerwall, or are we still in the rampant speculation phase here?

Last edited:
I am so glad I got solar panels only while I could. Powerwall makes zero financial sense here in greater-Portland area where we have full net-metering and a stable grid. I would have gone with someone else if solar+PW were my only option.

I am so glad I got solar panels only while I could. Powerwall makes zero financial sense here in greater-Portland area where we have full net-metering and a stable grid. I would have gone with someone else if solar+PW were my only option.
I have zero dreams PW's give an RIO, but I have to admit, it is fun watching me basically be off the grid 24 hours a day, now in the time of the year with sun

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this impacts the pricing. Tesla knocked $1,000 off the price of Autopilot when they bundled it in standard.

And given how cheap Tesla's solar panels are, I think a lot of people will end up having a choice between "X kW with a Powerwall from Tesla" and "X kW without a Powerwall from a local installer" for the about same price.

Reactions: MP3Mike

I think we need to wait to see how the new solar systems get priced. I'm hoping it will surprise us, but not holding my breath.

In my adult life there is no prior example that I can think of compared to Tesla. By comparison, the iPhone was in essence a combination of existing technologies, which was quickly copied so that within a year or so the flip cell phone was history.

With the cars, the solar roof, and the TEG and Powerwalls, in each case the company has a product which is so far ahead of what can be purchased that it makes comparisons to other products and prior experience poor.

With cars, although other car companies do sell models, none of the competition is anywhere close to the tech, the pricing, and most importantly the supercharger network, which alone means buying a Tesla vehicle is an "apple" and everything else is an "orange" at best.

I have Panels and 3 PWs, and I can say that while I understand just getting panels, panels alone are a way to save money on electricity, mainly, and do your part for switching to renewables.

Panels AND PWs is revolutionary. Properly sized, I may be off the grid for nine or ten months of the year. That means that my house is not partially "green" - as to its electric load its 100% green.

Plus, there is the back up which panels alone do not provide.

In any event, the main thing is that I have had experience with products that are in demand, there is nothing like this I have seen. Forcing constant marketing changes based on at least trying to deliver products in some sort of timely manner.

As to this specific tweet, much of the bad feelings were caused by difficult installs of less than whole home back up. Couple this with the solar roof price adjustment and the most obvious explination is the company trying to get this product line is some sort of shape so that people feel what they order is what they get.

In my adult life there is no prior example that I can think of compared to Tesla. By comparison, the iPhone was in essence a combination of existing technologies, which was quickly copied so that within a year or so the flip cell phone was history.

With the cars, the solar roof, and the TEG and Powerwalls, in each case the company has a product which is so far ahead of what can be purchased that it makes comparisons to other products and prior experience poor.

With cars, although other car companies do sell models, none of the competition is anywhere close to the tech, the pricing, and most importantly the supercharger network, which alone means buying a Tesla vehicle is an "apple" and everything else is an "orange" at best.

I have Panels and 3 PWs, and I can say that while I understand just getting panels, panels alone are a way to save money on electricity, mainly, and do your part for switching to renewables.

Panels AND PWs is revolutionary. Properly sized, I may be off the grid for nine or ten months of the year. That means that my house is not partially "green" - as to its electric load its 100% green.

Plus, there is the back up which panels alone do not provide.

In any event, the main thing is that I have had experience with products that are in demand, there is nothing like this I have seen. Forcing constant marketing changes based on at least trying to deliver products in some sort of timely manner.

As to this specific tweet, much of the bad feelings were caused by difficult installs of less than whole home back up. Couple this with the solar roof price adjustment and the most obvious explination is the company trying to get this product line is some sort of shape so that people feel what they order is what they get.
well said

I also wonder if Elon realizes that soon in California, the Powerwalls cannot be stacked, have to be spaced 3 feet apart, need a heat sensor that can broadcast an alarm throughout the house, have to have one cool blade disconnect each, often requires a main panel upgrade because PG&E sucks, result in a homeowner having lots of cool stickers barring more breakers from being landed anywhere, and need to be surrounded by bollards than can stop the Juggernaut.

I also wonder if Elon realizes that soon in California, the Powerwalls cannot be stacked, have to be spaced 3 feet apart, need a heat sensor that can broadcast an alarm throughout the house, have to have one cool blade disconnect each, often requires a main panel upgrade because PG&E sucks, result in a homeowner having lots of cool stickers barring more breakers from being landed anywhere, and need to be surrounded by bollards than can stop the Juggernaut.
I may not like PGE, but they are no where near as bad as you keep saying. You just have a "special" relationship with them :)