Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon twits AP1 improvements coming...anyone still trust them?

Guess the 'improvement' / downgrade:

• Remove asinine +0 speed limit on undivided roads

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Remove all Autopilot usage on undivided roads

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Implement asinine +0 speed limit on all roads including divided freeway

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Steering wheel nags every 10 seconds

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Back out previous gimping after realizing this is a PR nightmare

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Other improvements they haven't thought of yet, and will begin work tonight

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • On dash counter for remaining full-power launches for P cars

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very good news if early reports are correct. The +0 mph limit is apparently removed and returned to +5mph.

sympathy for all those that wrote 2 page justifications of how the vehicles were going to have to obey all laws going forward... sorry your vision of the future will be limited to your Sunday morning church commute :p

Exactly. To quote a reasonably great football player...Relax.

Reactions: cdub
Looks like the hard limit on undivided roads in AP1 has been rolled back and you can go at any speed you want!

New software update (2.52.22) rolls back hard speed limit with auto steer. • /r/teslamotors

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 4.09.36 PM.png

Reactions: cdub
I suspect limit+5mph actually helps me avoid speeding tickets, I would just rather be able to set the value myself.
Just another data point...

The "slow down for curves" behavior that was foisted upon us for TACC makes me turn off TACC. Bad design choice that makes the whole feature useless (because the user ends up turning it off).

The entire reason I want cruise control (TACC or otherwise) is to avoid speeding -- or at least "limit it to an offset that I feel acceptable". The "slam the brakes for curves" behavior has broken this feature for me.

I see the "only 0 offset" as the same kind of debilitating change that compromises the value of the entire feature.

Reactions: Andyw2100
slow down for curves
I have experienced this several times on some sharp curves and the speed reduction was smooth and reduced roll. It did not feel like slamming on the brakes, more like how I would drive with passengers in the car. These were on 35-40mph roads where I would be going about 40. Were you taking curves much faster that the decrease in speed was more dramatic?

I have experienced this several times on some sharp curves and the speed reduction was smooth and reduced roll. It did not feel like slamming on the brakes, more like how I would drive with passengers in the car. These were on 35-40mph roads where I would be going about 40. Were you taking curves much faster that the decrease in speed was more dramatic?

I've had the same experience with TACC where I felt like it did a pretty decent job of determining the best speed to take. It doesn't slow down for simple easy curves.

Maybe it's because I only drive 10mph over on the freeway, and it's really the only place I use TACC.

There are a handful of times though that TACC will reduce speed quite alarming, and sometimes this happens in corners. It's not because of the corner, but because sometimes the radar can be confused by another car. So it thinks the car in the lane over is in your lane.

If there was an option I would probably turn off the "slow for corners" if I had the choice. I don't want/need the car determining the best rate of speed for a corner. I just want TACC to do what it's designed to do, and that's it.

Err, well sometimes I wish it would read the speed sign correctly and set to the speed to the offset by itself. Especially when I drive down to Portland, and the speed limit on I5 through Portland keeps changing by increments of five. One mile at 50mph, one mile at 55ph, then back to 50mph. It's exhausting trying to keep up with the signage.

I've had the car slow to 50mph on 65mph and 70mph speed limit highways (when cruise control speed is set to 75mph or 80mph, respectively). It's terrifying when there are cars in my rear view, behind me or not.

Between Grants Pass, OR and Corning, CA (i.e. to/from Mt. Shasta) I pretty much don't use TACC at all anymore.

There are a handful of times though that TACC will reduce speed quite alarming, and sometimes this happens in corners. It's not because of the corner, but because sometimes the radar can be confused by another car. So it thinks the car in the lane over is in your lane.

If there was an option I would probably turn off the "slow for corners" if I had the choice. I don't want/need the car determining the best rate of speed for a corner. I just want TACC to do what it's designed to do, and that's it.
I have the problem even when there are no cars in front for 1/4 mile or more.

Agreed on your second paragraph.

I've had the car slow to 50mph on 65mph and 70mph speed limit highways. It's terrifying when there are cars behind me.

Between Grants Pass, OR and Corning, CA (i.e. to/from Mt. Shasta) I pretty much don't use TACC at all anymore.
I think that is a different problem and one I hope is fixed on the most recent firmware (which I do not have so I cannot confirm)