Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking - absolutely uninvited by the rest of the Mod Squad - for all Moderators, I understand why it appears none desires to wade & shovel through this hot mess of a thread.

If there is a single one of you who is not ashamed of yourself, I need to have a long talk with your mother and all of your grand and great-grandmothers.

BUT - here’s the deal. Should I…..

1. Shut this thread?
2. Shut this thread immediately without awaiting responses from all of you as to whether I should shut this thread?
3. Shut this thread and ban each and every one who posted more than twice on this thread?

Decisions, decisions, decisions…..

Sure is splendid this isn’t Twitter.
Coming from another culture, is this a joke or some sarcasm?
This thread is probably the most healthy/balanced discussion I've ever seen in any discussion forums related to Elon Musk. (no sarcasm here)
The reason it needs to be shut down is because someone is afraid that this kind of discussion will hurt the brand of teslamotorsclub (not Tesla fans enough) or feels the discussion is hurting TSLA price?

This, and thinking you can discuss honestly and rationally on Twitter with 240 characters is totally nuts.
It's Musk who decided to cite the Brown case linking that to the Tshirt.
If I'm correct, he didn't say a racist thing in the past (he even said he didn't do military in South Africa because it meant spendind your time worsening the life of black people, or something along these lines).
Now he decided to jump on a half-assed critique of BLM, *out of nowhere*.
Good luck with that.
This reminds me of a discussion in the Russia/Ukraine thread on Elon's tweets on that matter. There were people trying to flesh out his points on Ukraine, but I think both sides agreed that it showed Twitter was a very poor medium for nuance and deep discussion.

The entire premise of trying to make it a "global town square" was deeply flawed for this reason. This is putting aside other factors like advertiser control, how local laws affect things, and bans on the platform entirely in certain countries.

Yeah because real-world AI being solved for FSD is so easy, or SpaceX landing boosters on their struts. That's child's play. Everyone was doing that before Tesla did it.....or not.
Tesla software crappiness is not about FSD. That beta is nowhere near to be ready for commercial release (think many years, maybe decades, and no I'm not talking about level 2 assist system, but what the NAME actually means: Full Self Driving, aka level 5) so it isn't even on the table for complaints.

I'm talking about ever worse UI changes, losing useful functionality release after release. Having horrible regression bugs. I could go on a very long list of stupid software mistakes in my Tesla but it is so far off topic I am not going to. Tesla software maybe better than lagacy auto, but that is a super ridiculous low bar to pass. Compared to the average software out of Silicon Valey, Tesla is far sub-par, i.e. nowhere near "good software". Startup companies made up by fresh university graduates produce better apps for first try.

This thread is probably the most healthy/balanced discussion I've ever seen in any discussion forums related to Elon Musk. (no sarcasm here)
The reason it needs to be shut down is because someone is afraid that this kind of discussion will hurt the brand of teslamotorsclub (not Tesla fans enough) or feels the discussion is hurting TSLA price?
I don't want to speak for @AudubonB, but I can tell you that it's rarely either of the two options you've listed. Certainly not the last one. To keep this discussion and others healthy/balanced, as you mention, requires a lot of human moderation and nudging. We have Forum Rules to uphold in order to keep TMC a cordial and informative place. Threads like this can take a lot of effort from a very limited moderation staff. Shutting them down means that moderators can do a better job site-wide instead of spending too much time on one thread, or allowing it to go haywire because it has run away for too many pages.

The idea of shutting this thread down seems like it would reduce workload, but I suspect the same kind of commentary would pop up in the Elon Musk thread as soon as this was shut down, or the big investors' thread, etc. Stifling talk about Elon/Twitter would potentially be just as difficult as maintaining cordiality in this thread.

I don't want to speak for @AudubonB, but I can tell you that it's rarely either of the two options you've listed. Certainly not the last one. To keep this discussion and others healthy/balanced, as you mention, requires a lot of human moderation and nudging. We have Forum Rules to uphold in order to keep TMC a cordial and informative place. Threads like this can take a lot of effort from a very limited moderation staff. Shutting them down means that moderators can do a better job site-wide instead of spending too much time on one thread, or allowing it to go haywire because it has run away for too many pages.

The idea of shutting this thread down seems like it would reduce workload, but I suspect the same kind of commentary would pop up in the Elon Musk thread as soon as this was shut down, or the big investors' thread, etc. Stifling talk about Elon/Twitter would potentially be just as difficult as maintaining cordiality in this thread.
This is pretty close to my reaction. The Twitter purchase, for better or worse, has inevitably made any discussion of Elon more political. That can’t be avoided without denying reality.
And the effects and potential effects of that on Tesla are legitimate topics.

The goal of keeping politics out of the forums, meanwhile, is always going to be like suppressing kudzu, but its important, and perhaps the one greatest thing in keeping TMC a nice, functional place to be. If the moderators are spread too thinly to deal with this thread and keep the rest of the forum a good place to visit, well, the thread should go.
If the dialogue behind the scenes though, is being pushed by a moderator or two who just can’t stand to see this much criticism of Elon, well, that’s a different problem. Only you guys know.

It just seems like no matter what, moderating is going to be that much harder -- with or without this thread -- given the nature of the issues with Twitter. And It’s hard to imagine the forum can ignore the Twitter stuff, even though in practice it looks a lot like Elon fans disputing anything that suggests Elon might be undermining Tesla, and another group (myself included) sometimes overdoing the chicken little aspect of the early days of Twitter 2.0 craziness.

One thing the thread does do is offer more balance to what often seems like a bubble on the main investment thread which can feel overly optimistic about any action Elon takes. Even a subtle amount of systemic hero worship isn’t conducive to rational investment decisions, which should be cold, rational and clinical.

Last edited:
Based Elon is best Elon.

Change my mind. 😅
"Based' is as inane as "woke."

As to the tweet itself I am blessed with not being related to anyone who'd make such an asinine statement as Musk did in his tweet, so I look forward to a pleasant Thanksgiving dinner.

But my point stands regarding the fallout to TSLA longs: it hardly accrues to their benefit to have a loudmouthed CEO whose widely broadcast musings politicizes the decision to buy its product.

And yes, people do make decisions based on factors like that. I remember my Dad dropping Schick razor blades when the controlling family backed Goldwater in '64. Gillette's CEO could've been a Klansman but he didn't advertise his political suasions.

The reason you may think this is because of what the moderators have been having to do constantly to clean up this thread. Too often things have spilled over to be outright political and become completely disconnected from Elon.

What you are saying reminds me of survivorship bias, where what you see is what you think is reality, forgetting the mod actions that have been constantly happening.

I love that your post was downvoted by someone who was offended by a simple recital of objective reality.

This person likes to vote on a huge amount of posts, and I get the feeling it is to do so for the lulz, not so much actually conveying the person's opinion. I mean, that person should agree with my post since the person has certainly seen the political posts that have been posted before in this tread if they've been voting on it so much.

At least I hope it is for the lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.