Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually check every day or so to see if the smart people who post on here have some idea that this Twitter thing is going to work out.

And I would define "work out" as end up with Elon building twitter up into something which was better than twitter pre Elon.

But the acquisition seems to be based on a fallacy. Other than in authoritarian regimes, the rest of the world hardly needs any more "free speech." We have so many idiots putting out their opinions wading through it becomes a full time job.

The ability of some idiot to post something on Twitter (or Facebook or wherever) has, to my mind, also helped degrade established professional media. One advantage professional media had was the ability to put the time in to figure out the facts behind a story. Now that professional media has to respond quickly, you can just see the mistakes being made in real time.

More free speech? I can't remember the last time I came across a fact not covered by established media that was relevant in any way. Someone up thread actually came up with an example of Twitter not picking up on a New York Post Hunter Biden laptop ariticle, as if Twitter not posting the article slowed down anyone who wanted that article.

The only improvement I can think of is having all accounts verified and eliminating bots. But its not much of an improvement.

I usually check every day or so to see if the smart people who post on here have some idea that this Twitter thing is going to work out.

And I would define "work out" as end up with Elon building twitter up into something which was better than twitter pre Elon.

But the acquisition seems to be based on a fallacy. Other than in authoritarian regimes, the rest of the world hardly needs any more "free speech." We have so many idiots putting out their opinions wading through it becomes a full time job.

The ability of some idiot to post something on Twitter (or Facebook or wherever) has, to my mind, also helped degrade established professional media. One advantage professional media had was the ability to put the time in to figure out the facts behind a story. Now that professional media has to respond quickly, you can just see the mistakes being made in real time.

More free speech? I can't remember the last time I came across a fact not covered by established media that was relevant in any way. Someone up thread actually came up with an example of Twitter not picking up on a New York Post Hunter Biden laptop ariticle, as if Twitter not posting the article slowed down anyone who wanted that article.

The only improvement I can think of is having all accounts verified and eliminating bots. But its not much of an improvement.

I think one of the greatest improvements that Twitter could bring would be to have -better- fact checking and origin-of-misinformation processes. Social media has ushered in the era where lies and misinformation spread faster than truth since they're more interesting. Wanna innovate? Do some kind of deep research and AI to reverse that mechanism (vs what's being done at Twitter which mostly seems to be to welcome more conspiracy nonsense under the flag of "free speech")

I’m certainly not unbiased, and never claimed to be. One of the conditions when agreeing to become a moderator is that I could still participate in the discussions. I try not to let my personal opinion affect my decisions, but I’m not perfect. Anyone who is may throw the first stone.

I don’t believe that what I wrote about the missed order in a more liberal state being compensated by an extra order in a more conservative state is the kind of ‘toxic politics’ that we’re trying to avoid. That’s more the accusational type of politics, the denigrating remarks, the insults about things being woke or being alt-right. I hope you can see the difference.

If you want to continue this discussion please take it to PM, so we don’t bother others with it.
I'm done here.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
If only there was some sort of recording of Musk saying those words. Oh wait, since it was a podcast interview, we can hear Musk saying he won’t get vaccinated.

Don’t accuse people of lying just because something disagrees with your worldview.

A963932D-8C16-4302-9D98-BFC78F44A14A.jpeg

DF401431-C270-4AAE-8044-A002EB0A759D.jpeg

If only there was some sort of recording of Musk saying those words. Oh wait, since it was a podcast interview, we can hear Musk saying he won’t get vaccinated.

Don’t accuse people of lying just because something disagrees with your worldview.

View attachment 879615

View attachment 879616
I don’t see anything controversial here. Another thing of particular note is that if the lockdown zealots and masketeers were right, why are they asking for amnesty as if it were conceivably even on the table?

All debts must be paid in full.

My question concerned Germany, not the US with its strong political division.

And cases like the one of your neighbor have already been discussed before. You live in very Democratic leaning Santa Barbara. That potential loss of a sale could be compensated by an extra sale in Florida, which voted overwhelmingly for Republican Ron DeSantis.
CA has little choice but to buy electric because gas prices are 7 dollars a gallon. Plus they still have some subsidies and Tesla is more readily avaliable vs the competition. Yes some may hate Musk and not buy a Tesla but most people only cares about their bottom line.

There are 3 separate factors:-
  1. Elon's political views.
  2. The business plan:- I posted on that here Elon & Twitter
  3. The chances of success, I posted on that here:- Elon & Twitter
One of these things is not like the other 2, look no further than the top of the list.

Elon's political views are a net drag on the chances of success, as far as I can tell.

Even with Elon's political views the chances of success are still IMO very high.

If Elon can moderate his political views, step back, and be a bit more measured, then success is almost assured IMO.

Unfortunately, I have picked up that Elon's recently acquired political views seem to be a matter of deep personal conviction. The substance of what he wants to do is not that drastic, but it is most unlikely that he will dial down the rhetoric.

For all the reasons listed in my linked post above, I don't think this has a lasting material impact on Tesla.

The part of Twitter that I personally use is as good as ever, perhaps better than ever, no noticeable negative impact there.

Do I wish Elon would tone it down? - Yes.
Do I think he will? - No.

My neighbor test drove our Y and planned to order one in December to replace the lease on their Bolt. He just told me they decided to pass and will get a new lease on a Bolt instead, due to this stuff.

Not supporting or defending his choice, and it’s a single data point, but it’s an example of this thread that touched me directly.

I think there are two distinct concepts that are using the term "free speech":
1) 1st Amendment style free speech regarding the government
2) What I would call "open speech" - the ability to say whatever you want without fear of being banned

Seems like some people think of the first one when they hear "free speech", and some people think of the second.

My neighbor test drove our Y and planned to order one in December to replace the lease on their Bolt. He just told me they decided to pass and will get a new lease on a Bolt instead, due to this stuff.

Not supporting or defending his choice, and it’s a single data point, but it’s an example of this thread that touched me directly.
Just providing another data point, I have an X on order that I could have taken delivery of last week. I delayed it because of some logistical issues but I've seriously considered canceling it partly because I don't have the same pride/excitement driving a Tesla as I previously did. This is coming from someone with TSLA shares from 2012 and a 2013 Model S. I discovered another EV that would fit my daily needs a bit better but because it can't be delivered for another 8 months, I'll probably go ahead and take delivery of my X. How many other people feel the same way as I do and to what extent will it affect sales going forward? Who knows. But I think any rational investor needs to at least ponder these questions.

Just providing another data point, I have an X on order that I could have taken delivery of last week. I delayed it because of some logistical issues but I've seriously considered canceling it partly because I don't have the same pride/excitement driving a Tesla as I previously did. This is coming from someone with TSLA shares from 2012 and a 2013 Model S. I discovered another EV that would fit my daily needs a bit better but because it can't be delivered for another 8 months, I'll probably go ahead and take delivery of my X. How many other people feel the same way as I do and to what extent will it affect sales going forward? Who knows. But I think any rational investor needs to at least ponder these questions.
I have no doubt that the more Musk goes public with political views, the more he will repel some number of potential Tesla customers. (And that’s true whether those views skew left or right).

But that’s one of the things I like about Musk. He’s principled and courageous. Unlike most CEO’s, who are afraid of their own shadows, Musk is not going to stay quiet just to maximize Tesla potential customers.

A lot of my wealth is invested in TSLA, but I don’t let that cloud my understanding that Musk is much more than Tesla. Musk has many interests, many ventures, is the world’s richest man and one of the most followed people on the planet. His views are important, and I want him to courageously espouse them.

If I start to believe that Tesla will have a demand problem due partially to the number of potential customers Musk is repelling with his politics, I’ll start to lighten my position. But at the moment I believe the demand will continue to far outpace supply.

Please everyone, stop with your anecdotes of your family member canceling an order. No sane person denies that is happening. But until we see even small hints of an actual demand problem in the US, it’s an overblown concern.

Musk is not going to stay quiet just to maximize Tesla potential customers.
If he actually cared about the mission he would. He's lost his way.
But until we see even small hints of an actual demand problem in the US, it’s an overblown concern.
By the time we see it the damage is done and it's too late to reverse it.

If Elon can moderate his political views, step back, and be a bit more measured, then success is almost assured IMO.
People say Elon shares his political views but I haven't seen him do much of that. When was the last time he tweeted his opinion about a specific public policy? This is a serious question, maybe I'm forgetting something.

People say Elon shares his political views but I haven't seen him do much of that. When was the last time he tweeted his opinion about a specific public policy? This is a serious question, maybe I'm forgetting something.
It is the case when Elon uses the phrase "Woke Mind Virus",

My impression is that this isn't a slogan, Elon seems to believe it is partially true.

Most of this stems from the shuttering of Fremont during Covid, Elon seems to have very strong feelings about it.

The public policy is judge what is posted, not the author. People who disagree want posters to stay banned, due to previous posts.
I think what is said is way more important that who says it. But people with a regular habit of saying bad things create a lot more work,

I think if Elon gets "clear air" to try his version of moderation it may work, His best chance is to dial back his language and do a better job of explaining his plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.