Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what are the odds that Musk will apologize to Dr. Fauci over his Twitter comments to prosecute him?

From The Atlantic

This week, an international team of virologists, genomicists, and evolutionary biologists may have finally found crucial data to help fill that knowledge gap. A new analysis of genetic sequences collected from the market shows that raccoon dogs being illegally sold at the venue could have been carrying and possibly shedding the virus at the end of 2019. It’s some of the strongest support yet, experts told me, that the pandemic began when SARS-CoV-2 hopped from animals into humans, rather than in an accident among scientists experimenting with viruses.

“This really strengthens the case for a natural origin,” says Seema Lakdawala, a virologist at Emory University who wasn’t involved in the research. Angela Rasmussen, a virologist involved in the research, told me, “This is a really strong indication that animals at the market were infected. There’s really no other explanation that makes any sense.“

So, what are the odds that Musk will apologize to Dr. Fauci over his Twitter comments to prosecute him?

From The Atlantic

This week, an international team of virologists, genomicists, and evolutionary biologists may have finally found crucial data to help fill that knowledge gap. A new analysis of genetic sequences collected from the market shows that raccoon dogs being illegally sold at the venue could have been carrying and possibly shedding the virus at the end of 2019. It’s some of the strongest support yet, experts told me, that the pandemic began when SARS-CoV-2 hopped from animals into humans, rather than in an accident among scientists experimenting with viruses.

“This really strengthens the case for a natural origin,” says Seema Lakdawala, a virologist at Emory University who wasn’t involved in the research. Angela Rasmussen, a virologist involved in the research, told me, “This is a really strong indication that animals at the market were infected. There’s really no other explanation that makes any sense.“
"Genetic samples from the market were recently uploaded to an international database and then removed after scientists asked China about them."
I'm sure we can trust this data from China. Not suspicious at all that China would not like lab leak to be discussed.

"The jumbling together of genetic material from the virus and the animal does not prove that a raccoon dog itself was infected. And even if a raccoon dog had been infected, it would not be clear that the animal had spread the virus to people. Another animal could have passed the virus to people, or someone infected with the virus could have spread the virus to a raccoon dog."

Read this carefully and tell me how the article calls for a Fauci apology.

Not new news as one of the paper's authors has been pushing the Rocky Raccoon source for over a year. He was active successfully along with others surpassing any discussion of lab leak in the media until that is someone new bought Twitter.

The 2018 banking law is still highly relevant to SVB because SVB was one of the banks that was pushing for it the hardest. But yeah, the fact that regulators ignored interest rate risk makes me wonder exactly what the regulators were doing. Were the regulations inadequate as written, were the regulators just incompetent in how they interpreted them, or both?
Regulations and regulators tend to fight the most recent war. 2008 was about credit risk - bad mortgages being made into even worse securities with corrupt ratings that allowed banks to treat them as AAA assets when in fact many were completely worthless. So the new regulations gave massively favorable treatment to Treasuries and gov't guaranteed mortgages with zero default risk. This avoided "another 2008" but by taking their eyes off of interest rate risk they allowed SVB to make some crazy amateur mistakes.

And even if regulators realized SVB was taking way too much rate risk, they probably didn't feel a sense of urgency after more than a decade of perma-ZIRP. Just like regulators were comforted in the mid-2000s by the knowledge that "we haven't had a nationwide decline in house prices since the Great Depression".

"Genetic samples from the market were recently uploaded to an international database and then removed after scientists asked China about them."
I'm sure we can trust this data from China. Not suspicious at all that China would not like lab leak to be discussed.

From a PR point of view, China probably wouldn't want us to know either way, to avoid having to admit either. Except we keep discussing it for the very reason that we don't know.

The college student who tracks Elon Musk's private jet says the Tesla CEO only seems to care about tracking planes if it affects him​

Hopefully Jack focuses all of his efforts on tracking Elon, in retaliation for Elon giving him the finger.

"The jumbling together of genetic material from the virus and the animal does not prove that a raccoon dog itself was infected. And even if a raccoon dog had been infected, it would not be clear that the animal had spread the virus to people. Another animal could have passed the virus to people, or someone infected with the virus could have spread the virus to a raccoon dog."

Read this carefully and tell me how the article calls for a Fauci apology.

Not new news as one of the paper's authors has been pushing the Rocky Raccoon source for over a year. He was active successfully along with others surpassing any discussion of lab leak in the media until that is someone new bought Twitter.
Scientists are an extremely conservative bunch who almost never say anything is absolutely certain. Think about how climate scientists phrased their statements a decade ago.

I don’t pretend to know more than:

an international team of virologists, genomicists, and evolutionary biologists”

Do you? And what’s more, does Elon Musk know more about this topic than these scientists? Is that why he predicted the pandemic which killed 7 million people world wide wasn’t an issue and the pandemic would disappear in “April”?

If you think you do, then I understand why so many people doubt man-made climate change despite what climate scientists are telling us.

If someday climate scientists state they found irrefutable evidence that climate change is caused by solar flares or “an international team of virologists, genomicists, and evolutionary biologists” corrects themselves and says the virus escaped from a lab, I’ll believe them. I’m not being “a sheep”. I just believe there are experts in the world who know more about certain subjects than I do.

Why do people think Musk is a universal expert? He built a sub that couldn’t fit into the flooded caves. He donated breathing machines that couldn’t help those who needed the most extreme intubation breathing help. He didn’t develop Tesla or SpaceX, he bought them and then took credit for the work that their hard-working teams of engineers did.

Thanks for the correction about SpaceX.

Though I disagree about him developing Tesla.
Wait, a proper correction should read: "I would like to apologize to [Musk fans on this forum] for my misunderstanding of his situation. It was based on things I was told that were untrue or, in some cases, true, but not meaningful," :p

Though I disagree about him developing Tesla.
He joined about 8 months after it started, when it was little more than an idea and some office space. He funded it and kept it alive during crucial periods and has been CEO since 2008. I'm certainly not a fan of many of his actions, especially in the last year, but it's hard to argue that he did not develop Tesla.

He joined about 8 months after it started, when it was little more than an idea and some office space. He funded it and kept it alive during crucial periods and has been CEO since 2008. I'm certainly not a fan of many of his actions, especially in the last year, but it's hard to argue that he did not develop Tesla.
From Indeed.com: An organization's chief executive officer is its highest-ranking position. CEOs take responsibility for their companies' overall success.

Eberhard served as CEO and president of technology at Tesla until late 2007. I guess I give Eberhard more credit for Tesla's foundation than Musk. And I think there are a lot of bright people working at Tesla who are responsible for its accomplishments. I don't give Musk a lot of credit for engineering skills, I think he blusters his way through with a load of confidence and people just assume he knows what he's talking about. His performance and arguments with engineers & programmers regarding Twitter shows he uses a lot of techno-speak but can't explain things on the fly. It looks like people who have the know-how believe this. For example:

‘You’re a jackass!’: Elon Musk loses cool with ex-Twitter employee during Spaces chat

Musk said Twitter would have to do a “total rewrite of the whole thing” if it wanted to have a “really high velocity” during a Twitter Spaces voice chat hosted by George Hotz on Wednesday.

The remark prompted a response from Ian Brown, a developer for Netflix who worked at Twitter for eight years before leaving the company in October 2021.

“Wait, seriously, a total rewrite? That’s your prediction for velocity?” Brown said.

“Yeah,” Musk responded.

“Well, when you say a total rewrite, you mean starting with the skeleton?” asked Hotz, a well-known hacker who resigned from Twitter earlier in the day. “Or a bunch of engineers sit down with a whiteboard and say, ‘What is Twitter?’ Revolution or reform?”

Brown responded with a “laughing hysterically” emoji, which appeared briefly on his avatar as part of the function that allows Twitter Space participants to express themselves while someone else is talking.

Musk replied that “you either needed to amend the crazy stack that exists or rewrite it.”

Brown chimed in once again, grilling Musk over what he actually meant and whether he could “break it down.”

“Who are you?!” an agitated Musk asked.

“What do you mean who am I? I don’t know! You gave me the f—ing mic!” Brown said.

Hotz then interjected, noting that he allowed Brown the opportunity to speak and asked that the conversation be “more civil.”

“I mean, man, you’re in charge of the servers and the programming and whatever,” Brown continued.

What is the stack, Elon? Take me from top to bottom. What does the stack look like right now? What’s so crazy about it? What is so abnormal about this stack versus every other large-scale system on the planet, buddy? C’mon!

“Amazing! You’re a jackass!” Musk replied.

“Haha, ok! I got no credibility here, buddy,” Brown shot back.

Hotz then muted Brown.

“Good! What a moron,” Musk said.

--------

I've got to wonder, when someone has so little self control over themselves, how could they have had the discipline and patience to have made Tesla successful? I think the answer lies with the thousands of talented people at Tesla, not the guy on top who's taking the credit.

He claims to be fighting corruption by buying Twitter, (even though he's not). If he were focused on Tesla maybe he could fight actual corruption.

Or organize an Investor Day that actually appeals to Wall Street investors.

Or encourage/inspire people at Tesla to fix the yoke with steer by wire:

There are much better uses of his time other than intentionally pissing off libs and acting like a jerk.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're a jerk than to open it and remove all doubt.

[Elon's] performance and arguments with engineers & programmers regarding Twitter shows he uses a lot of techno-speak but can't explain things on the fly. It looks like people who have the know-how believe this.
Elon at Twitter has been a total disaster IMO. But it would be a mistake to judge his performance at SpaceX and Tesla by the silly things he does at Twitter. At Tesla and SpaceX he has demonstrated over and over again that he has a strong grasp of the technology and has the ability to explain it on the fly.

This is seen in his long interview with the Tesla Owners of Silicon Valley; his talks with Sandy Munro; and his SpaceX interviews with Tim Dodd, the Everyday Astronaut:

It's hard for me to imagine a technically competent person seeing these videos and not admitting that Elon is the real deal when it comes to Tesla and SpaceX.

Elon implemented a suggestion Tim Dodd made during this interview. Likewise, he listened to Sandy Munro about the benefits of casting which led to the use of giga-presses at Tesla. Not only has Elon demonstrated his technical chops and the ability to explain tech on the fly, he also listens to technical suggestions made by others and takes them to heart.

Elon has a Twitter addiction which brings out his worst. Buying Twitter was like an alcoholic buying the world's largest distillery and then getting high on his own supply.

From Indeed.com: An organization's chief executive officer is its highest-ranking position. CEOs take responsibility for their companies' overall success.

Eberhard served as CEO and president of technology at Tesla until late 2007. I guess I give Eberhard more credit for Tesla's foundation than Musk. And I think there are a lot of bright people working at Tesla who are responsible for its accomplishments. I don't give Musk a lot of credit for engineering skills, I think he blusters his way through with a load of confidence and people just assume he knows what he's talking about. His performance and arguments with engineers & programmers regarding Twitter shows he uses a lot of techno-speak but can't explain things on the fly. It looks like people who have the know-how believe this. For example:

‘You’re a jackass!’: Elon Musk loses cool with ex-Twitter employee during Spaces chat

Musk said Twitter would have to do a “total rewrite of the whole thing” if it wanted to have a “really high velocity” during a Twitter Spaces voice chat hosted by George Hotz on Wednesday.

The remark prompted a response from Ian Brown, a developer for Netflix who worked at Twitter for eight years before leaving the company in October 2021.

“Wait, seriously, a total rewrite? That’s your prediction for velocity?” Brown said.

“Yeah,” Musk responded.

“Well, when you say a total rewrite, you mean starting with the skeleton?” asked Hotz, a well-known hacker who resigned from Twitter earlier in the day. “Or a bunch of engineers sit down with a whiteboard and say, ‘What is Twitter?’ Revolution or reform?”

Brown responded with a “laughing hysterically” emoji, which appeared briefly on his avatar as part of the function that allows Twitter Space participants to express themselves while someone else is talking.

Musk replied that “you either needed to amend the crazy stack that exists or rewrite it.”

Brown chimed in once again, grilling Musk over what he actually meant and whether he could “break it down.”

“Who are you?!” an agitated Musk asked.

“What do you mean who am I? I don’t know! You gave me the f—ing mic!” Brown said.

Hotz then interjected, noting that he allowed Brown the opportunity to speak and asked that the conversation be “more civil.”

“I mean, man, you’re in charge of the servers and the programming and whatever,” Brown continued.

What is the stack, Elon? Take me from top to bottom. What does the stack look like right now? What’s so crazy about it? What is so abnormal about this stack versus every other large-scale system on the planet, buddy? C’mon!

“Amazing! You’re a jackass!” Musk replied.

“Haha, ok! I got no credibility here, buddy,” Brown shot back.

Hotz then muted Brown.

“Good! What a moron,” Musk said.

--------

I've got to wonder, when someone has so little self control over themselves, how could they have had the discipline and patience to have made Tesla successful? I think the answer lies with the thousands of talented people at Tesla, not the guy on top who's taking the credit.

You must be 100% undoubtedly correct with airtight logic like that.

I mean it’s clear that when Elon stepped into managing Tesla it was an engineering powerhouse full of top talent that knew how to scale EV production from the barely functioning roadster prototype to millions of cars a year.

I mean it’s so easy that really anyone could have done it. Look at how all the existing automakers are quickly and profitably ramping up their EV production.

Not to mention all the successful EV charging companies.

And grid tied batteries!! So many choices for EV battery supply that it is silly to think that he should have committed to building a Billion dollar factory in the Nevada desert. What a waste.

Elon was just in the right time, right place.

“Good! What a moron.”

You must be 100% undoubtedly correct with airtight logic like that.

I mean it’s clear that when Elon stepped into managing Tesla it was an engineering powerhouse full of top talent that knew how to scale EV production from the barely functioning roadster prototype to millions of cars a year.

I mean it’s so easy that really anyone could have done it. Look at how all the existing automakers are quickly and profitably ramping up their EV production.

Not to mention all the successful EV charging companies.

And grid tied batteries!! So many choices for EV battery supply that it is silly to think that he should have committed to building a Billion dollar factory in the Nevada desert. What a waste.

Elon was just in the right time, right place.

“Good! What a moron.”
I find it amazing how upset people can get if I give more credit to engineering teams than the guy on top who has no background in EVs or even general automotive. Just because Musk made an announcement about a new feature, it doesn't mean he's the one who came up with it, just as it is when Tim Cook makes an iPhone-related announcement. If or when Musk leaves Tesla for whatever reason, I sincerely hope Tesla will continue on and be successful. But to say that Musk deserves all or most of the credit is a folly. If true, though, then Tesla will collapse when the day comes. I hope not.

I try to source where I get my information from or how I develop my opinions so people can see where I'm coming from. So please do the same.

As an example, how is that Full Self Driving working when using visual cameras only? Let's check on that:

How Elon Musk knocked Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ off course
“No one believed me that working for Elon was the way it was until they saw how he operated Twitter,” Bernal said, calling Twitter “just the tip of the iceberg on how he operates Tesla.”

He [Musk] zeroed in on a target: the car radar sensors, which are designed to detect hazards at long ranges and prevent the vehicles from barreling into other cars in traffic. The sleek bodies of the cars already bristled with eight cameras designed to view the road and spot hazards in each direction. That, Musk argued, should be enough.

Some Tesla engineers were aghast, said former employees with knowledge of his reaction, speaking on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution. They contacted a trusted former executive for advice on how to talk Musk out of it, in previously unreported pushback. Without radar, Teslas would be susceptible to basic perception errors if the cameras were obscured by raindrops or even bright sunlight, problems that could lead to crashes.

Musk was unconvinced and overruled his engineers. In May 2021 Tesla announced it was eliminating radar on new cars. Soon after, the company began disabling radar in cars already on the road. The result, according to interviews with nearly a dozen former employees and test drivers, safety officials and other experts, was an uptick in crashes, near misses and other embarrassing mistakes by Tesla vehicles suddenly deprived of a critical sensor.

They said Musk’s erratic leadership style also played a role, forcing them to work at a breakneck pace to develop the technology and to push it out to the public before it was ready. Some said they are worried that, even today, the software is not safe to be used on public roads. Most spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution.
“No one believed me that working for Elon was the way it was until they saw how he operated Twitter,” Bernal said, calling Twitter “just the tip of the iceberg on how he operates Tesla.”

In April 2019, at a showcase dubbed “Autonomy Investor Day,” Musk made perhaps his boldest prediction as Tesla’s chief executive. “By the middle of next year, we’ll have over a million Tesla cars on the road with full self-driving hardware,” Musk told a roomful of investors. The software updates automatically over the air, and Full Self-Driving would be so reliable, he said, the driver “could go to sleep.”

[We seem to have missed this prediction, since it is 2023.]

Investors were sold. The following year, Tesla’s stock price soared, making it the most valuable automaker and helping Musk become the world’s richest person.
(but Full Self Driving is not full self driving so please don't believe it is if you don't want to risk accident or death)
The article continues on with more details on how FSB isn't working out and how Tesla's testing methodology differs from its competitors. It's a worthy read to view the differences between the two even if you still think Tesla's is superior.

As others have pointed out you are focusing entirely on his mistakes, which are many, but ignoring his real successes and actual abilities. Of course it took all the people working at SpaceX and Tesla to make the companies become successful but you can't ignore the fact that the person leading these companies, (plus his other successful companies), obviously has some extraordinary abilites in some areas. Blind hatred of Musk and his accomplishments is no more rational than blind worship. His problem is that he thinks those abilities extend further than they do.

Funny how you ignored all the problems he mentioned with this prototype steer by wire, or how many people with the Tesla yoke seem to like it.

As many people like the Yoke, a lot also hate it. Having both options available is good for sales. Neighbor up the street has a 2020 MS Perf, and wanted the Plaid, but refused to buy because of the yoke. Hopefully now he does buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.