Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat OT: Musk taking a 9 % stake in Twitter according to an SEC filing. TWTR up 26 % pre mkt...

Free speech isn’t the problem, so much as finding a way to reduce the impact of fake news and trolls, and the algorithms that create bubbles. I’ll add that a lot of these problems are related to the rampant monetization of content.

Moderation and free speech can coexist. Communities in reddit are 100% moderated while individuals are free to say what they want in their own profiles and self created communities.

Here's Elon's SEC filings:

Statement of acquisition of beneficial ownership by individuals | SEC.gov

and from Elon's 13G filing:

Item 4.Ownership.

(a) Amount beneficially owned: 73,486,938 shares consisting of shares of Common Stock held by the Elon Musk Revocable Trust dated July 22, 2003 for which Elon Musk is the sole Trustee.

(b) Percent of class: 9.2% (based on 800,641,166 shares of Common Stock outstanding as of February 10, 2022 as reported in the Issuer’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2021).

It's gonna be real hard to muzzle Elon's tweets now, wot SEC? But Elon could... ;)

Overall, it's not T.I.T.S. but I like it anyway.

Cheers!

• Helpful
Reactions: chot2022
I'm assuming from that date in the SEC filing he started buying weeks ago and stopped buying a week or so ago, filing with the SEC after some grace period was used.

If he bought all on Mar 14th it would be around $33 a share, and $2.425 Billion

If he bought at an average of $35 a share it's $2.572 Billion.

If he bought at an average of $36 a share it's $2.645 Billion.

Last edited:
The Market liked this buy. Here's this mornings TWTR REALTIME from NASDAQ.com

TWTR.2022-04-04.06-08.Post-Elon.png

$TWTR finished up 27.1% for the day. "Free speech costs real money..." :D

How much more fun will this be than donating that $3B to a PAC or a some such?

Cheers!

Twitter can run their company however they want. If they want to ban certain people, that's up to them. They do not have a duty to let anyone say anything they want. I am not supportive of Elon trying to open the floodgates to let that happen.

Actually, if they want to continue to benefit from the protection of Section 230, than they might *actually* have a duty to let anyone say anything they want.

They don't get to suppress some speech while promoting other speech and then claim immunity as a neutral publisher of "third-party content". If twitter is choosing which words go public, it's no longer "third-party".

Actually, if they want to continue to benefit from the protection of Section 230, than they might *actually* have a duty to let anyone say anything they want.

They don't get to suppress some speech while promoting other speech and then claim immunity as a neutral publisher of "third-party content". If twitter is choosing which words go public, it's no longer "third-party".

I'm not a lawyer, but i don't think Section 230 requires a web site to be a neutral publisher. They can remove whatever they want.

Section 230(c)(2) further provides "Good Samaritan" protection from civil liability for operators of interactive computer services in the good faith removal or moderation of third-party material they deem "obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable, whether or not such material is constitutionally protected."

From the main thread, a copy/paste... I haven't read the above, sorry, will get back later, busy day. Could be a repeat view, gotta go. I was just responding to this.

I am worried about Elon influence on twitter. If he gets twitter to just say everything goes which results in Trump coming back to twitter I know a number of people who will look to get out of owning TSLA including all of my family. Number of them have had a hard time with the allegations in California, but that requires trial to proof that Elon and executives were complicit. Twitter saying you know what say whatever you want and face no consequences will be put right on Elon.

I'm not worried about Elon's twitter influence or any neg impact to TSLA. Instead I welcome his new board seat.

Given Elon's views on the media and past efforts to clean up false reporting, (Pravda website aimed at telling the truth by shaming the reporters of false stories, like keeping score on the publishing process), I really don't see him unbanning individuals until his solution is in place (whatever that is). Let the system expel or demote automatically, maybe with AI. I think that's the ideal, but just my opinion.

Here's Elon expressing his interest back in 2018:

This might not be the end goal, but I see him potentially clarifying the 1st Amendment in some way. I know, crazy idea, but it's Elon we're talking about. Society online is toxic now IMHO. We don't know his next 10 moves, but it's super exciting to see him engage on this. And when you're a favorite star on the platform, how on earth could that not help Tesla and TSLA?

Elon offers Twitter the long view with mission clarification beyond # of users. Like most corporations, Twitter is currently in the gasoline mentality $$$ mode worried about climate change but continuing to serve shareholders. IMO, it needs to think about efficiency of communication, even bullying where Elon was personally affected in his early years like myself. I speak from the heart when I say this is an extremely powerful motivator. He could possibly expand functionality and alter Facebook trajectory in the process. Wild speculation since it's anyone's guess, but do check back in a few years.

So how is this on topic? We still have a few more years of FUD to contain in the BEV industry. The goals between Twitter and Tesla could easily intersect during this transition. However, maybe this topic could spin off the main for now.

I can't say I'm happy about Elon taking time away from Tesla to get more involved with social media. It's not that important an issue compared to sustainable energy and transportation.

Meh... this could boil down to a few short conversations a month. Seems unlikely that it'll have a negative impact on Tesla's progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.