Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's Elon's SEC filings:

Statement of acquisition of beneficial ownership by individuals | SEC.gov

and from Elon's 13G filing:

Item 4.Ownership.

(a) Amount beneficially owned: 73,486,938 shares consisting of shares of Common Stock held by the Elon Musk Revocable Trust dated July 22, 2003 for which Elon Musk is the sole Trustee.

(b) Percent of class: 9.2% (based on 800,641,166 shares of Common Stock outstanding as of February 10, 2022 as reported in the Issuer’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2021).

It's gonna be real hard to muzzle Elon's tweets now, wot SEC? But Elon could... ;)

Overall, it's not T.I.T.S. but I like it anyway.

Cheers!
Sorry, T.I.T.S? What is the acronym for?

Dan Ives of Wedbush explains that since Elon will not join the Twitter BoD, he is now unrestrained from purchasing > 14.9% of shares, or leading a takeover (which Dan expects would lead to a SP in the $55-60 range):

Elon Musk could go hostile against Twitter after abandoning board plan, says Wedbush's Dan Ives | CNBC on Youtube

Definitely: Elon certainly didn't start taking a position in TWTR on a whim, and based on who he is I don't see him backing down, selling his TWTR shares or staying a passive investor, gently doling out suggested changes to the Board. Quite possible TWTR being up on the news (vs Q's and tech) is because "the market" is also guessing Elon will increase his TWTR position. See also

I'm not super creative, so I can only think of a few reasons why Elon backtracked from the Twitter board:
1) Elon is planning a hostile takeover. Being on the board would limit his ownership to below 15% and maybe that was unacceptable to him.
2) Being on the board he could no longer bash Twitter and it is too much fun for him to bash it
3) Too much of a distraction for him and not worth his time
I'm hoping for #3 but I'm afraid it's #1

Reactions: Chunky Jr.
Definitely: Elon certainly didn't start taking a position in TWTR on a whim, and based on who he is I don't see him backing down, selling his TWTR shares or staying a passive investor, gently doling out suggested changes to the Board. Quite possible TWTR being up on the news (vs Q's and tech) is because "the market" is also guessing Elon will increase his TWTR position.
All quite true. Twitter needs to get it's sugar sorted out, or they WILL be living in a homeless shelter. :p

See also
MEDIA=youtube}\6ySi03V241E{/MEDIA
I've watched a few of that guys videos now. I can't say I like him. Anybody that puts out daily 'click-bate shock-face world-is-ending elon-musk' videos is chasing the Youtube algorithm for cash, and should be largely ignored. JMO.

Cheers!

Elon has refiled his 13D after his announcement that he will NOT join Twitter's Board of Directors:

General statement of acquisition of beneficial ownership - amended | SEC filing dated Mon, Apr 11, 2022

Item 4 of the Schedule 13D is amended and restated in its entirety to read as follows:
  • Pursuant to the April 4, 2022 letter Agreement, the Reporting Person was invited to serve on the board of directors (the “Board”) of the Issuer. On April 9, 2022, the Reporting Person informed the Issuer that he is not joining the Board.
  • The Reporting Person holds the Common Stock of the Issuer for investment purposes. Depending on the factors discussed herein, the Reporting Person may, from time to time, acquire additional shares of Common Stock and/or retain and/or sell all or a portion of the shares of Common Stock held by the Reporting Person in the open market or in privately negotiated transactions, and/or may distribute the Common Stock held by the Reporting Person to other entities. Any actions the Reporting Person might undertake will be dependent upon the Reporting Person’s evaluation of numerous factors, including, among other things, the price levels of the Common Stock, general market and economic conditions, ongoing evaluation of the Issuer’s business, financial condition, operations and prospects, the relative attractiveness of alternative business and investment opportunities, investor’s need for liquidity, and other future developments.
  • From time to time, the Reporting Person may engage in discussions with the Board and/or members of the Issuer’s management team concerning, including, without limitation, potential business combinations and strategic alternatives, the business, operations, capital structure, governance, management, strategy of the Issuer and other matters concerning the Issuer. The Reporting Person may express his views to the Board and/or members of the Issuer’s management team and/or the public through social media or other channels with respect to the Issuer’s business, products and service offerings.
  • Except as set forth above, the Reporting Person has no present plans or intentions which would result in or relate to any of the transactions described in subparagraphs (a) through (j) of Item 4 of Schedule 13D. However, the Reporting Person reserves the right to change his plans at any time, as he deems appropriate, and in light of his ongoing evaluation of numerous factors, including, among other things, the price levels of the Common Stock, general market and economic conditions, ongoing evaluation of the Issuer’s business, financial condition, operations and prospects, the relative attractiveness of alternative business and investment opportunities, Reporting Person’s need for liquidity, and other future developments.

Squawk Box on Twitter: ""This puts Twitter's back against the wall ... there's really no way that Twitter in my opinion could reject this," says @DivesTech on @elonmusk's offer to buy $TWTR. https://t.co/jTOL8h4Cbx" / Twitter

Elon Buys and Deletes TWTR :D

Elon Buys and Deletes TWTR.jpg

So based on Elon's $420 offer for TSLA shares in Aug 2018, and TSLA current SP of $5,000 (split-adjusted), we can say this about Elon's confidence in Twitter:
  • it will be worth equivalent of $645/share in 3 yrs, 8 mths
  • Mkt Cap will be more than $500M (Jan 2026)
  • Private ownership will reap the benefits.
I wonder if Elon will let some of us TSLA "hodl'ers" buy some steak? ;)

Cheers!

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms
May also be a move to protect against misguided AI (see recent Andrej Tweets regarding Tiktok). Taming the social media algorithms that feed confirmation bias. (See also David Brin's book Earth for potential approach (and a good read))

This is an excellent point (let's get Andrej's tweet into the record here)

So in the future,

Neuralink → Twitter → Starlink → Areolink → Mars Colony One → Optimus 'bot fleet / drone swarm

...the Orbital Elements wobble (from the comfort of your orbital HQ)

If Elon can access resources/renewables and transform Mars with exponential industrial growth, terraforming the planet within a millennia may just be possible.

Might even be possible on Earth (though will need much DoJo).

:D

You may have hit upon the deeper reason. If Elon thinks misinformation can be solved with AI then that would indeed be a great gift to humanity.

But it seems like Elon hasn't been talking about that angle. His, "I'm a free speech absolutist" stance seems to run contrary to trying to solve misinformation.

I'm left scratching my head.... Everything Musk normally does is to better the planet and humanity. Part of his reason for Tesla was to fund the colonization of Mars. I don't understand why he would want to spend this much money on Twitter. Just like anyone, he can spend his money how ever he wants, but there have to be better ways to blow $40+ Billion....

Currently, revenue is tied to advertising is tied to clicks is tied to feeding people what they want to see more of regardless of truthfulness or accuracy. A variant of classical news: "if it bleeds, it leads"

Allowing people to say whatever does not require promoting their views via 'hot', 'trending', or targeted prioritization. Eliminating AI induced bias confirmation is an improvement.

Non-free speech:
Person A is never allowed to post

Ad funded free speech
Person A posts
Post auto linked to other posts agreeing with it, opposing views suppressed via de-prioritization (not silencing, they still can post)
People get narrow/ filtered viewpoint

Non-ad funded free speech:
Person A posts
Post gets responses, both supporting and rejecting
People exposed to full spectrum of the topic

See also: Facebook's fine granularity target advertisement feature

A competing system could be built for less than $10M. Elon has enough star power that he would only need to announce the new system and the free speech principles to launch it. Within a day it would have millions of users. Within a year it would pass twitter.

AOL Instant Messenger grew quite quickly despite ICQ already having an established base. Same with Yahoo Messenger, same with Skype. People want a better platform and Elon could go that route for far less cost than buying twitter.

I don't think twitter is worth $1B but it's Elons money and he should do whatever he wants with it.
Buying Twitter allows the problems Elon sees with Twitter to be corrected .
Otherwise to achieve same result he needs to:
Create platform
Grow platform
Put Twitter out of business

LOL the heads on CNBC are squirming over this. Being as they are a tool of the censorship state. They simply do not want Elon Musk to own & control Twitter. Frequently discussed: "perhaps Twitter should be private, but who should be in charge of it?" (completely ignoring that Elon Musk just made an offer to buy it)

Mike Santoli: "b-but... it was trading much higher earlier in the year, surely it is worth more?"
Buddy... the stock has not been a darling of the stock market since it IPO'd 2014. It has gone up, it has gone down. Basically sideways between $25 and $75. Twitter longs need to see that they can put their money into something better and get out.

Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, Former SEC head, The Verge 🤣... the usual Musk critics all saying it's a bad idea or wacky/zany etc.

Roger MacNamee's interview is illustrative, he went back & forth but is not sure he wants Twitter to be owned by someone who simply wants free speech. He acknowledges that it is loved by the U.S. political system and notes that "disinformation is being swept out of the way" - meaning dissent is being censored, but the censoring isn't being publicised so the unaware public aren't going to know that Twitter isn't an open platform.

CNBC are all-of-a-sudden concerned and sympathetic for Twitter's employees. Weird how they never discuss layoffs following acquisitions of other companies.

The Verge guy LOL - "how do you stop the brain drain when the your company no longer has its main reward system?" (meaning, stocks)
Buddy: Elon Musk's companies are the top two that all the best kids want to work at - for multiple years in a row - but he will of course ignore that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.