Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my hypothesis .... starting with Covid when Elon went to the dark side, he has fallen into the sphere of influence of alt-right. He just uncritically repeats their tweets. This is a classic example.

Zero data, zero thinking ... when is he changing is Climate Change stance ?

2008 Dem nominee: I believe a marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage.

2012 Dem nominee: I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.

• Disagree
Reactions: Xepa777 and UrsS
Yes agree. Calling for and actually doing said thing are very different.

Agree with what? Since the use of force is inherent in the definition of the verb "overthrow", I was pointing out the irony that you were complaining about another person's reading comprehension when you erroneously stated:

"I can call for the overthrow of government all I want, I just can’t call to overthrow it by force or violence…big distinction."

Reactions: BitJam
Agree with what? Since the use of force is inherent in the definition of the verb "overthrow", I was pointing out the irony that you were complaining about another person's reading comprehension when you erroneously stated:

"I can call for the overthrow of government all I want, I just can’t call to overthrow it by force or violence…big distinction."
It’s not inherent in the law as written otherwise why would it make the distinction of force or violence? It would just say no one shall call for the overthrow of the government.

Furthermore, I disagree with your statement that force and violence is inherent in the definition of “overthrow”.

Definition of overthrow​

transitive verb
1: OVERTURN, UPSET
2: to cause the downfall of : BRING DOWN, DEFEAT
3: to throw a ball over or past (something or someone, such as a base or a receiver

Whoever knowingly or willfully advocates, abets, advises, or teaches the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying the government of the United States or the government of any State, Territory, District or Possession thereof, or the government of any political subdivision therein, by force or violence, or by the assassination of any officer of any such government

This isn’t hard my friend.

Oh the irony! It appears Musk fell for a false right-wing narrative. Perhaps if his social media had moderated lies better, he would not have fallen for this one. This is not a good look (except for people who believe this lie. For them it's great!)
What if, I say what if Elon's emphasis on his conservative credentials is a plot to soften up the soft underbelly of the US truck market? The buzz on traditionally conservative-leaning specialty message boards (trucks, tractors, ATV, firearms etc.) is like this guy Musk is👍 alright. Ok, I admit it, I have three of those four above items.

It’s not inherent in the law as written otherwise why would it make the distinction of force or violence? It would just say no one shall call for the overthrow of the government.

Furthermore, I disagree with your statement that force and violence is inherent in the definition of “overthrow”.

Definition of overthrow​

transitive verb
1: OVERTURN, UPSET
2: to cause the downfall of : BRING DOWN, DEFEAT
3: to throw a ball over or past (something or someone, such as a base or a receiver

Whoever knowingly or willfully advocates, abets, advises, or teaches the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying the government of the United States or the government of any State, Territory, District or Possession thereof, or the government of any political subdivision therein, by force or violence, or by the assassination of any officer of any such government

This isn’t hard my friend.

I was going to split hairs on this but I’ll grant you there’s sufficient ambiguity in the definition that I’ll retract my snarky response.

Reactions: rjack1282
Cybertruck is already sold out for years, demand will only grow once it hits the road. He's not doing it to sell Cybertrucks.
Is it really sold out? Right now, the availability of all competing EV trucks is extremely limited. The CT deposit is miniscule and refundable. The only significance is that the deposit locks in the vehicle purchase price. It's all good for the potential buyer.

A year or two from now, will the truck EV market be so limited? It's possible that Ford, GM and Rivian could all screw up their EV truck offerings, but I tend to doubt that. Ford's Mustang BEV isn't a Tesla killer, but it's good enough. At least it convinced me that Ford can build a viable BEV truck. And Asian manufacturers aren't that far away from selling a BEV truck.

Tesla still hasn't had one CT roll of the assembly line. If I was Elon, that would make me nervous.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
2008 Dem nominee: I believe a marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage.

2012 Dem nominee: I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.
2020 GOP nominee: we should have a threesome. Would you like a threesome? I would like a threesome. Do you want a threesome? Let’s have a threesome.

I’m having too much fun. Let’s go Elon!
I was going to split hairs on this but I’ll grant you there’s sufficient ambiguity in the definition that I’ll retract my snarky response.
I hate ambiguity but unfortunately attorneys love it. Let’s just agree that we don’t advocate overthrowing the government lol.

Reactions: MikeC
Buncha form 4s just dropped, confirming Elon sold billions of dollars of Tesla stock this week.

Claims he's done selling now.

But of course he previously claimed only time he sells shares is when forced to for covering taxes on expiring options, and that's clearly not what he did here.

(also his wording was he was done selling after today.... none of the Form 4s included today so likely he sold more than the ~4 billion and there'll be further form 4s coming by early next week covering any sales made today)

Last edited:
Here is my hypothesis .... starting with Covid when Elon went to the dark side, he has fallen into the sphere of influence of alt-right. He just uncritically repeats their tweets. This is a classic example.

Zero data, zero thinking ... when is he changing is Climate Change stance ?

Exactly. The Republican Party repeats falsehoods to deny climate change is caused by humans.

Has Elon gone so far into the looney fringe that he is going to deny climate change?

Douche.

That’s not correct. Read it again.

I can call for the overthrow of government all I want, I just can’t call to overthrow it by force or violence…big distinction.

This is a perfect example of misinformation that gets posted and then promoted but wouldn’t get censored on twitter nor should it. The poster and promoters should be called out for their lack of reading comprehension for all to see.
Okay, please explain how a non-violent overthrow works. The definition of overthrow is remove forcibly from power. ISTM you are splitting hairs and then crying misinformation. Even when it's possible to change a government non-violently like Gandhi's work in India, it doesn't fit the definition of overthrow because it doesn't use force or the threat of force..

Also, why all the hostility? I don't think I'm wrong but even if I am, it was an honest mistake. I was trying to constructively add to the conversation.

Okay, please explain how a non-violent overthrow works. The definition of overthrow is remove forcibly from power. ISTM you are splitting hairs and then crying misinformation. Even when it's possible to change a government non-violently like Gandhi's work in India, it doesn't fit the definition of overthrow because it doesn't use force or the threat of force..

Also, why all the hostility? I don't think I'm wrong but even if I am, it was an honest mistake. I was trying to constructively add to the conversation.

Non violent overthrow: a method where a mob attacks those who have just won an election legitimately with a torrent of marshmallows shot from specially designed marshmallow cannons.

Even though there may not be any physical injuries, the emotional and physical torment of having to wade through a lot of marshmallows raining down on them cause the election winners to forfeit power.

• Funny
Reactions: BitJam
This might be where Elon feels he's shifted over the years, but if you look at the actual data behind which direct the left and right have gone, it's pretty clear that there has been some shift to the left on the left, but it's no-where near as extreme as this is portrayed. On the other side, the right has shifted dramatically to the right.

So while I don't doubt that Elon has shifted to the right, it's not because he's standing still as pictured. Anyone watching can clearly see that his Tweets have taken a turn to the right, especially in the last couple years and most recently, a lot of his tweets mirror the right's talking points.

Anyway, sources - there are more (Pew Research has been studying this for a while along with others):

This might be where Elon feels he's shifted over the years, but if you look at the actual data behind which direct the left and right have gone, it's pretty clear that there has been some shift to the left on the left, but it's no-where near as extreme as this is portrayed. On the other side, the right has shifted dramatically to the right.

So while I don't doubt that Elon has shifted to the right, it's not because he's standing still as pictured. Anyone watching can clearly see that his Tweets have taken a turn to the right, especially in the last couple years and most recently, a lot of his tweets mirror the right's talking points.

Anyway, sources - there are more (Pew Research has been studying this for a while along with others):

I think you have regurgitated the Left's talking points to the tee.

“Data” on something like political extremism, which is very subjective, is very suspect. Genuine question, how has the right become more extreme? What actions, concrete, enduring actions, has the right done to make it more extreme? I know how the left has become more extreme, which I’ll refrain from saying right now unless asked about it at the risk of this post being banned.

My apologies if I came across hostile...that certainly was not my intention but re-reading my post again I guess I did come across like an a**hole.

There are several definitions for overthrow and yes one of them uses to remove by force or power but one of the definitions is simply to depose, as from a position of power. Depose is to remove from office or position...the people deposed the dictator. This is probably why the law includes force and power.

More importantly the Supreme Court has had numerous rulings relating to free speech and specifically incitement type speech. Check out Brandenburg v. Ohio if you're interested further.

"The Court used a two-pronged test to evaluate laws affecting speech acts: 1. speech can be prohibited if its purpose is to incite or produce imminent lawless action; and 2. doing so is likely to incite or produce such an action. Additionally, the Court found that abstract discussions are not the same as actually preparing or inciting individuals to engage in illegal acts."

This is the so called Brandenburg test. So some random guy with 3 followers on Twitter calling for the overthrow of the government is going to fail this test, even if his intentions are to do so with force and power.

Exactly. The Republican Party repeats falsehoods to deny climate change is caused by humans.

Has Elon gone so far into the looney fringe that he is going to deny climate change?

Douche.
People on the right (I have no idea what the Republican Party official stance is, but I doubt it is what you said it was) generally believe that fossil fuels do cause warming. BUT they generally don’t believe this will cause catastrophic, positive feedback loop warming which will destroy life on earth.

Elons stance is similar to that actually, with a twist. He says it is unlikely fossil fuels will cause catastrophic global warming in the next century, but we don’t actually know. Therefore we should wean ourselves off fossil fuels in an organized and sane manner. He most recently said in a Ted interview that he thinks the path we are on now, with our current incremental movement towards solar, wind, hydro and nuclear energy and away from fossil fuels, is sufficient to generate a good outcome.

“Data” on something like political extremism, which is very subjective, is very suspect. Genuine question, how has the right become more extreme? What actions, concrete, enduring actions, has the right done to make it more extreme? I know how the left has become more extreme, which I’ll refrain from saying right now unless asked about it at the risk of this post being banned.
We're drifting pretty far off topic so I'm sure this will be quarantined so I'll try to keep this brief. You want an example of how the GOP is going more to the extreme right? Search for CPAC on Youtube. It's being held in Hungary next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.