Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All this Project Veritas crap is everything that's wrong with the internet, Twitter and the news in general today.

The employee totally got bamboozled by PV into saying stupid things on camera - and PV is rubbing his face in it. Isn't this the kind of speech that all the "free speech" proponents claiming that the left is too "woke" are trying to protect?

And then you have Elon jumping on and bashing the guy as well (who's definitely not an exec - middle management at best) claiming he's trashing free speech. I did not hear him say anything that trashed free speech - simply stated (not very well, I might add) how he sees Twitter moderating content. As a client partner, this guy isn't going to know any of the nuances behind Twitter's content moderation policies so is exactly the wrong person to be quoting because of it.

No one here is coming out looking good, but PV is getting their views and their name out, so they win.

This is all a hot mess of a dumpster fire and it's not getting any better.
And now Musk is continuing his "one way feud" with Biden, as the WaPo put it, saying Trump administration had people who got stuff done... also says he has never voted for a Republican but that is changing etc etc. I could care less about which side of the politics divide Musk is on, but as Tesla owner and shareholder I really really want him to stop tweeting endlessly about petty, divisive stuff that he’s often clueless about. Zero value for the company, or society for that matter, and negative value for the carbon-reduction mission.

The latest Peterson drama comes to us via Twitter, which the academic has just dramatically announced he will be “departing” forever. Don’t worry, he’s not going to go quietly into that tweetless night; Peterson has promised us all a long article explaining his problems with the platform soon.

For now, however, he wants us all to know that Twitter is a hellhole which makes your life infinitely worse. “The endless flood of vicious insult [sic] is really not something that can be experienced anywhere else,” Peterson tweeted on Monday, “If I have something to say I’ll write an article or make a video. If the issue is not important enough to justify that then perhaps it would be best to just let it go.” He adds, “I like to follow the people I know but I think the incentive structure of the platform makes it intrinsically and dangerously insane.”

What makes Peterson’s aversion to criticism extra hilarious is that one of the rules in his famous book is “Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world.” Peterson’s own house, alas, is a complete mess. The man is a self-proclaimed free speech warrior who has made a living arguing that people should be able to say whatever the hell they like and offend whoever they like. Snowflakes be damned! But when people use their freedom of speech to criticize him? That’s a step too far! Like every prominent person who likes developing “rules” for other people to live by, Peterson doesn’t seem to think they apply to him.

The latest Peterson drama comes to us via Twitter, which the academic has just dramatically announced he will be “departing” forever. Don’t worry, he’s not going to go quietly into that tweetless night; Peterson has promised us all a long article explaining his problems with the platform soon.

For now, however, he wants us all to know that Twitter is a hellhole which makes your life infinitely worse. “The endless flood of vicious insult [sic] is really not something that can be experienced anywhere else,” Peterson tweeted on Monday, “If I have something to say I’ll write an article or make a video. If the issue is not important enough to justify that then perhaps it would be best to just let it go.” He adds, “I like to follow the people I know but I think the incentive structure of the platform makes it intrinsically and dangerously insane.”

What makes Peterson’s aversion to criticism extra hilarious is that one of the rules in his famous book is “Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world.” Peterson’s own house, alas, is a complete mess. The man is a self-proclaimed free speech warrior who has made a living arguing that people should be able to say whatever the hell they like and offend whoever they like. Snowflakes be damned! But when people use their freedom of speech to criticize him? That’s a step too far! Like every prominent person who likes developing “rules” for other people to live by, Peterson doesn’t seem to think they apply to him.

You may want to make fun of him, but he's not wrong on this. Many psychological studies have linked social media usage with depression and a general sense of loneliness.

Literally, this is one of the core reasons why the AAP (American Association of Pediatricians) strongly recommends limited social media usage for children and teens. There is a linear correlation between the amount of social media usage and depression and suicide rates.

BTW, reading what Peterson ACTUALLY wrote - he said he was leaving Twitter for HIS mental health. He didn't advocate removing the free speech rights of those that were criticizing him / attacking him. The above article is very disingenuous in that respect.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and mspohr
I could care less about which side of the politics divide Musk is on, but as Tesla owner and shareholder I really really want him to stop tweeting endlessly about petty, divisive stuff that he’s often clueless about. Zero value for the company, or society for that matter, and negative value for the carbon-reduction mission.
Yes he's abandoned the diplomacy he used with the previous administrations and is just making pointless attacks now.

Yes he's abandoned the diplomacy he used with the previous administrations and is just making pointless attacks now.

I would say he's just responding in kind, which is his M.O. exactly if you look at his previous actions. The current administration is essentially openly hostile to Tesla in general, and Elon specifically.

Good for him to stick up for himself.

Absolute free speech has a downside.

This pretty much sums it up:

Besides Buffalo, both 4chan and 8chan have become politically significant forces in the US. Both boards helped form and foster QAnon, the far-right myth that Donald Trump is combating a cult of elite leftist pedophiles. The boards played a central role in constructing the lie that the 2020 presidential election was stolen from Trump, which inspired the deadly Capitol riot on 6 January 2021.

Reactions: Dave EV and mspohr
I would say he's just responding in kind, which is his M.O. exactly if you look at his previous actions. The current administration is essentially openly hostile to Tesla in general, and Elon specifically.

The big risk is that the bureaucrats start to design job bids to disfavor Tesla cars and support, and SpaceX. The feds/states don't have to award federal grants to Tesla to help build out the charging networks. States don't have to change their dealership laws (if they dislike who would benefit.) The feds could give Boeing the contract to go to Mars.

Reactions: bkp_duke

The current administration is not “openly hostile” to Tesla or Elon. Biden is old school pro union and old school generally and like many of his ancient generation puts almost comically outsized importance on Detroit’s Big Three. Tesla just wasn’t in his frame of reference because of this outmoded world view about the auto industry. The administration has at times improperly not mentioned Tesla or spent too much time visiting freaking GM or whatever.
Elon, though, chose to make it personal and attacked Biden’s signature bill. He was angry because of that add-on EV credit for union operations, and fair enough, reasonable people could def disagree on that. But Elon then, as he is won’t to do, in a pique expanded his beef to the EV part of the bill.
People can disagree on that, too, but it was Elon attacking the administration, not the administration attacking Elon or Tesla in any way whatsoever except yes, just ignoring Tesla and its amazing accomplishments too much.
But this isn’t sticking up for himself, it’s just unwise. There were better ways of getting the administration to give Tesla its due.
Better for the company, better for its important mission.
And frankly none of the neglect by the administration was hurting the company. Just Elon’s feelings. Too much ego.

Last edited:
The current administration is not “actively hostile” to Tesla or Elon. Biden is old school pro union and old school generally and like many of his ancient generation puts almost comically outsized importance on Detroit’s Big Three. Tesla just wasn’t in his frame of reference because of this outmoded world view about the auto industry. The administration has at times improperly not mentioned Tesla or spent too much time visiting freaking GM or whatever.
Elon, though, chose to make it personal and attacked Biden’s signature bill. He was angry because of that add-on EV credit for union operations, and fair enough, reasonable people could def disagree on that. But Elon then, as he is won’t to do, in a pique expanded his beef to the EV part of the bill.
People can disagree on that, too, but it was Elon attacking the administration, not the administration attacking Elon or Tesla in any way whatsoever except yes, just ignoring Tesla and its amazing accomplishments too much.
But this isn’t sticking up for himself, it’s just unwise. There were better ways of getting the administration to give Tesla its due.
And frankly none of the neglect by the administration was hurting the company. Just Elon’s feelings. Too much ego.
Gotta work on those critical reading skills.

Duke did not say that they were "actively hostile" s/he said that they were "openly hostile." And by purposely "not mention[ing] Tesla", who basically built the EV market, IMO Duke is correct. Failing to acknowledge Tesla's work in the EV market speaks volumes, but yes, it is not 'active hostility'.

The current administration is not “actively hostile” to Tesla or Elon.

Plenty of senior and prominent Democrat leaders like Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders have personally attacked Elon Musk on Twitter and in major newspapers making laughable claims he is a rent-seeker and doesn't pay taxes. All of the left wing Media (many who formally worked in Democrat politics) has been joining suit over the last few weeks as well. And let's not pretend that the Biden administration didn't go out of its way to snub Tesla and Elon over the last 2 years.

Here in San Diego, the excretable Lorena Gonzalez who authored the AB5 law before returning to a comfy union gig famously tweeted "F#ck Elon Musk" when Elon had the temerity to criticize the City of Fremont's decision to close the plant during peak COVID hysteria.

I sure wish politicians and our media didn't go out of their way to attack and pick fights with private sector CEO's who don't openly support Liberal politics. Our country would be much better and much less banana republic......

The current administration is not “actively hostile” to Tesla or Elon. Biden is old school pro union and old school generally and like many of his ancient generation puts almost comically outsized importance on Detroit’s Big Three. Tesla just wasn’t in his frame of reference because of this outmoded world view about the auto industry. The administration has at times improperly not mentioned Tesla or spent too much time visiting freaking GM or whatever.

What a load of crap.

"Mary you led. You really did."

He flat out lies about who and what company are pushing forward EVs.

(hint, it's not GM, they sold like 30 total EVs last quarter)

Reactions: 2Pearls and Xepa777
Plenty of senior and prominent Democrat leaders like Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders have personally attacked Elon Musk on Twitter and in major newspapers making laughable claims he is a rent-seeker and doesn't pay taxes. All of the left wing Media (many who formally worked in Democrat politics) has been joining suit over the last few weeks as well. And let's not pretend that the Biden administration didn't go out of its way to snub Tesla and Elon over the last 2 years.

Here in San Diego, the excretable Lorena Gonzalez who authored the AB5 law before returning to a comfy union gig famously tweeted "F#ck Elon Musk" when Elon had the temerity to criticize the City of Fremont's decision to close the plant during peak COVID hysteria.

I sure wish politicians and our media didn't go out of their way to attack and pick fights with private sector CEO's who don't openly support Liberal politics. Our country would be much better and much less banana republic......
Not pertinent. Warren and Sanders are NOT part of the administration.
And are not representative of the Demos. They are extreme outliers on the left wing, with views few in the party embrace. Notice they keep getting rejected in national primaries?
But they are quite handy for folks to point to and claim they are “mainstream.” More internet stuff that damages the cohesion of the nation. Gets Fox a payday, though.
Oh, and OK, I changed “actively” to “openly”... you were right on his word selection. But does not in any way change what I wrote. Same same.

Last edited:
The big risk is that the bureaucrats start to design job bids to disfavor Tesla cars and support, and SpaceX. The feds/states don't have to award federal grants to Tesla to help build out the charging networks. States don't have to change their dealership laws (if they dislike who would benefit.) The feds could give Boeing the contract to go to Mars.

It's already happening. Tesla lost a big to build EV chargers, despite coming in at 1/5 th the price.

As Elon said - "No one is more INEFFICIENT at capital allocation than the US Gov."

Status
Not open for further replies.