Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if Elon's goal with Twitter wasn't to unfetter everyone to turn it into another 4chan of "free speech absolutism" but instead had a plan to help make social media LESS toxic to everyone including those posting (and... himself since he's clearly not his best when on Twitter vs in person)?
Social media can be made less toxic but rules are required.

I have participated in such attempts several years ago. AKASHA was a trial attempt at a decentralized social network that is still trying.

I abandoned it when it seemed to become yet another gateway for crypto scamming and still allowed anonymous posting.

To really fix social networks requires addressing the biological component. This is the 3rd rail not to be touched since the internet early days. This would remove the brain reaction that is a kind of addiction cycle.

Andy Grove referred to it as a war for eyeballs. Addiction design is a tool in this war. EM has the appearance IMO of being in denial of such addiction.

One of the basic rules required is that there can be no hiding in anonymous posting. This is unpopular.

Most of the required rules for a less toxic social network are unpopular. Unpopular to EM himself in his addiction even.

Then the rules themselves diminish the likelihood of financial success.

So a structure that delivers the goal of a less toxic social network also dampens any chance of financial success. This is pretty well understood and has been confirmed IMO in many attempts over years of experiments.

Each rule that removes toxicity also removes what is of interest to humans. So no one is much interested in a less toxic network.

We would allow our own children to be harmed rather than fix our cultural addiction to toxic social networks. The entrepreneurs that build these toxic social networks know this. History will be very unkind to them.

There is interest in topic specific forums such as this one where anonymous personas are permitted but attempts strong moderation. We are paid to be here with topic specific information that has utility or can be monetized derivatively in the case of investing. It is a workable compromise but imperfect.

Whilst I find todays comments personally a little upsetting, I'm hoping Elon is playing a smarter game than it may seem on the surface with his voting comments. Surely he must know how much of what he is on record as standing for is the absolute opposite of the backward looking and regressive ideals of much of todays Republicans. He could just be playing the right to increase support for and sales of Tesla products. Time will tell how this plays out and his real political beliefs I suppose.

I'll be honest, my money and it's ability to increase exponentially is very important to me, so I'll be holding my nose and continue to HODL TSLA for dear life despite my present disgust for what he said today. :(
He’s not playing a game. He’s tweeting exactly what he thinks. The issue is Twitter is like heroin to him, and many others for that matter, and it has just completely warped his judgement. Which, when it comes to matters involving people rather than machinery and Big Ideas, wasn’t that great to start with.

He’s not playing a game. He’s tweeting exactly what he thinks. The issue is Twitter is like heroin to him, and many others for that matter, and it has just completely warped his judgement. Which, when it comes to matters involving people rather than machinery and Big Ideas, wasn’t that great to start with.

I agree, and I also think having Elon become the head of the heroin dealer so he can make the drug much less regulated is a terrible idea for himself and the world

Last edited:
Good article on content moderation.

The Verge: Why Elon Musk should read Facebook's latest transparency report.

Very worthy article on the reality of social-media-free-speech vs all the conspiracies and posturing.

Elon's sweeping over-simplification to "just enforce federal law and nothing else" is hopelessly naieve of the nuances and challenges of actually running a social media service.

Really seems like there must be some serious legal / SEC stuff in the pipe. Elon is trying to antagonize as many people in power as possible so that he can characterize any actions against him as biased.
I was so close. Should have seen the sexual harassment claim coming.
Elon, please buy Twitter. It's the only way to ensure a good future for humanity.

Brand images are built painstakingly, over many years of hard work, intelligent people making the right decisions, and a constant attention to quality and customer service.

Steve Jobs was a famously aggressive micro manager too, but he wasn’t overtly political. He was careful enough to pay close attention to customer service, which was part of Apple’s brand image. he was apolitical, at least publicly, because he understood that taking a side would hurt the Apple brand image, and hurt Apple in the long run.

Elon Musk might feel his Twitter circus has no repercussions to the Tesla brand image. He would be sadly, very wrong. This dude either doesn’t have the maturity of thought, or his Asperger’s is coming in the way of making rational decisions.

His Twitter feed reads like a juvenile trash talking high schooler. Always ready to play the victim while bullying others.

Tesla is being hurt every day, and the stock price seems to reflect that.

What is Tesla’s brand image now? Bad customer service, overpriced but under equipped cars (interior quality, build quality, etc), supposedly loaded with tech, but tech that’s always beta and riddled with bugs, and now, to add on top, an overtly political CEO choosing the party of insurrection supporters.

This shows Elon Musk doesn’t really care, nor is serious about running Tesla long term or building it into a long term company which lives for decades being a force for the good.

He betrays his thought process by claiming that his bid for Twitter is a “force for the good of humanity”.

Just. Sad.

Especially so, because he is so enormously gifted.

The thing I’m having trouble with is myself and many other subjects of the “woke mind virus” lol experiment, especially those in DC, are welcoming Trump back to Twitter. Just like nearly all R’s hate Nazis, nearly all Dems can’t stand the cancel culture woke mob. They are a vocal minority. To think that the establishment Dems are somehow conspiring against Elon is such nonsense. Biden is in bed with the auto unions because states that were solid D in the rust belt no longer are. Won’t someone please think of Nancy’s calls! Well, stock now. I’m a liberal who loves Dave Chappelle and Elon but the dudes gone off the rails and it’s sad to see. Maybe hanging with Alex Jones a little too much….who should be banned from everything as he said a school shooting near my house was some left wing plot. I’m still a TEsla bull and will buy Tesla products but maybe Elon fanboi a little less. Only way this works is if he comes out and says this was a plot to get ghost banned on Twitter of some nonsense. He seems so reasonable in interviews. Sigh. Anyway, love you all on both sides of the isle. One world my friends.

I was so close. Should have seen the sexual harassment claim coming.
Elon, please buy Twitter. It's the only way to ensure a good future for humanity.

There was no doubt that such was "coming" -- it was only a matter of time -- expect more as this plays out. btw: this instance is an anonymous source reporting on behalf of an anonymous "friend".

Reactions: bkp_duke
Brand images are built painstakingly, over many years of hard work, intelligent people making the right decisions, and a constant attention to quality and customer service.

Steve Jobs was a famously aggressive micro manager too, but he wasn’t overtly political. He was careful enough to pay close attention to customer service, which was part of Apple’s brand image. he was apolitical, at least publicly, because he understood that taking a side would hurt the Apple brand image, and hurt Apple in the long run.

Michael Jordan also stayed out of politics, despite a lot of pressure to get involved in social justice issues. Rumor has it that he once said, 'Republicans buy shoes too.'

Status
Not open for further replies.