Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. Nice effort but that’s not a sound purchase. He’s smarter than that. You don’t buy something for that price to start over. You just start it.

Again, as I've said before, he's buying the customer base. Not the technology. The customer base is not actually THAT easy to move over to another platform, as a former president has shown us.

And yes, these deals CAN be re-negotiated after and agreement is signed, if there is cause (and Elon believes the bots are cause):

There is plenty of precedent for a renegotiation. Several companies repriced agreed acquisitions when the COVID-19 pandemic broke out in 2020 and delivered a global economic shock.

In one instance, French retailer LVMH (LVMH.PA) threatened to walk away from a deal with Tiffany & Co. The U.S. jewelry retailer agreed to lower the acquisition price by $425 million to $15.8 billion.

Simon Property Group Inc (SPG.N), the biggest U.S. mall operator, managed to cut its purchase price of a controlling stake in rival Taubman Centers Inc by 18% to $2.65 billion.

EDIT - this part I was unaware of, however:
Musk also waived his right to carry out due diligence when he negotiated the Twitter deal, trying to get the company to accept his "best and final" offer. This makes it harder for him to argue in court that Twitter misled him.

If he did waive that, he would have to prove that what he was buying was materially different than described. The bots may or may not be enough to get that.

Regardless, I think he's going to buy it even if he has to pay full price. But he would be stupid not to try to get an adjustment down given the bot discovery.

I don't believe that's accurate. The contract has the price of $54.20 on it, and $1B if either side walks.

From Twitter's side, they can stand firm and get their $54.20, or they can keep the company and get a free $1B (after a court fight in all likelihood). Given they never wanted to be owned by Elon, I figure they play that angle.

Elon's choices are to pay the full $54.20 (which he doesn't want to do given current market conditions), or give up $1B. He can also try to bully them into a lower price, but I feel other than making a court case out of it to avoid the $1B, he's not going to get anywhere.
No.
The merger agreement also provides that Twitter, on one hand, or Parent and Acquisition Sub, on the other hand, may specifically enforce the obligations under the merger agreement in accordance with its terms. In addition, Twitter is entitled to obtain specific performance or other equitable relief to enforce Parent’s and Acquisition Sub’s obligations to cause Mr. Musk to fund the equity financing, or to enforce Mr. Musk’s obligation to fund the equity financing directly, and to consummate the closing of the merger, if certain conditions are satisfied, including the funding or availability of the debt financing.
Not true, there is a "due diligence" period.
I thought he waived due diligence?
Mr. Musk also disclosed that his acquisition proposal was no longer subject to the completion of financing and business due diligence.

Again, as I've said before, he's buying the customer base. Not the technology. The customer base is not actually THAT easy to move over to another platform, as a former president has shown us.
I’ve heard you say it. He’s not doing a good job of endearing all customers - at all.

Twitter has been underrepresented in the social media valuation circle for a long time, for good reason. What better way to increase valuation than to take a political side as you purchase an asset!

I thought he waived due diligence?

See post above yours. Comes down to if he thinks he has a case about the bots making what he was sold materially different. That could be a long court battle, and the Twitter BoD may or may not go that route. We do know they solicited for other bids and no one showed up, so they may give him a token discount (1-2B off the price?) and close the deal that way to avoid costly litigation, which would likely crush the share price.

See post above yours. Comes down to if he thinks he has a case about the bots making what he was sold materially different.

agree. i think the 'materially different' language is a high bar to clear. burden of proof will be for Elon to bear. as mentioned earlier, this will be hard to prove when the whole calculation is fuzzy to begin with.

The number is $54.20. Elon is looking for wiggle room because market dynamics have changed, but he is in a really poor legal situation. Because if he tries to renegotiate, it's already been established that a deal with Elon isn't worth anything. HE is the one who can be sued if he tries to unreasonably exit the deal, and believe me, shareholders will line up in this economy to get their 46% premium (over today's close). Bottom line, his timing sucked, and he hasn't done himself any favors on the deal. If I were already in a contract to buy a property of any kind, I'd be spending my time talking about how great it was and how much greater it will be. That's how you work the public market.

I heard someone say this - if you were a great customer of a restaurant and decided to buy the restaurant, then you walked around badmouthing everything about the restaurant in an effort to get the restaurant for less than you agreed to pay, they should really just kick you out and never let you back in again. That analogy ought to resonate a little with anyone who's looking at this without any skin in the game.
The conundrum is made worse by the fact the company wasn’t worth $54.20 to begin with. Probably should have been priced at negative value even then....It really shows no signs of being a viable business. It functions, to use the word “functions” loosely, as a social media platform but not as a profitable enterprise. SO he’s stuck either paying full freight or at minimum a huge penalty and legal settlement for walking away, or following through on what is now retail-plus for an “asset” that had little value to begin with and lost much of its nominal value after reality struck and he realized his impulse to buy it was misguided.
Some serious 3D chess going on there.

See post above yours. Comes down to if he thinks he has a case about the bots making what he was sold materially different. That could be a long court battle, and the Twitter BoD may or may not go that route. We do know they solicited for other bids and no one showed up, so they may give him a token discount (1-2B off the price?) and close the deal that way to avoid costly litigation, which would likely crush the share price.

There is one additional issue that the Directors need to contend with. If Elon is correct that the reported 5% daily bots is more like 20%+ -- and that's a big if -- the Officers and Directors could be be personally held liable for filing false SEC reports. Moreover, corporate insurance might not even pay if they believe that '5% constitutes the new 20%' is fraud.

Reactions: bkp_duke
He’s going for it! Does this mean the bottom of the market? Now that social media problems are solved sanity will be restored.

I would imagine Elon is lining up his cash in hopes of closing a new re-negotiated deal at a much cheaper price.

I expect Twitter will stand firm on the price as written in the contract, and the thing deadlocks and heads to court give or take Elon pulling some kind of stunt at the shareholders meeting.

Reactions: advocate8
Where does the extra $6.25B come from?

Same place as the previous 7.1B in private investment he lined up. People and funds with big $$$ to spend.

(the above are old articles, nothing new like what was disclosed today)

6.25B may be a lot to us, but I would be surprised if he hasn't already gotten verbal commitments for this from various people. It's just not a lot of money when you are talking about the financial circles that people like Elon are in.

The SEC report today says he's asking Jack Dorsey to move his existing TWTR shares to the private company, that's ~1B right there. It would reason that other large shareholders have been similarly approached.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rarity
How I feel about Twitter every day

6hj4ah.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.