Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the market cap of a few different companies just to put this deal into perspective.

For this much money Elon Musk could have bought:

Albemarle(a lithium mining company) at 22 billion and Panasonic(the company that makes batteries for EVs) also at 22 billion and almost have enough to buy Nissan at 16 billion.

Or General Motors which has a really similar market cap.

Or Ford Motor Company and still have a few billion left.

Most of these companies except Albemarle have a P/E ratio of around 8 or so. TWTR has a P/E ratio of 161.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
FYI as Elon assembles his supply of cash and pledges-from-others for a potential deal, I think his "surprise" at the TWTR shareholder meeting will be a direct proxy fight to take the thing over on his own terms vs having to negotiate with the board.

I'm 90% sure he's going to fire the entire board upon taking control of the company. He might do it very theatrically at a shareholders meeting though. Perhaps involving smashing the windows of a cybertruck somehow.

I'm 90% sure he's going to fire the entire board upon taking control of the company. He might do it very theatrically at a shareholders meeting though. Perhaps involving smashing the windows of a cybertruck somehow.

It’s a takeover, Twitter will be a subsidiary of X.com. No need for an independent board as they are typically let go already as part of the merger

Should this go straight to the Politics - Quarantine Thread?

Closing the deal is the only way to cheer Elon up. Look at how happy Jack Dorsey looks!
1653584784221.png

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Elon says, if he owns Twitter, he'd gear it towards the "middle 80%" of users (I think he mistakenly is thinking of Twitter users as the American voting public, when, in fact, Twitter has users from around the globe...but I digress) and that would eventually make both the far right and far left upset. He's also made it clear he thinks he's in that "middle 80%," recently declaring he's moved from "moderate D to moderate R" (incoherent string of babble, but sure, go with it).

Funny...he's only antagonized and prodded "far left" accounts while being friendly and "agreeing" with far right ones. Almost like he says one thing and does another.

Elon says, if he owns Twitter, he'd gear it towards the "middle 80%" of users (I think he mistakenly is thinking of Twitter users as the American voting public, when, in fact, Twitter has users from around the globe...but I digress) and that would eventually make both the far right and far left upset. He's also made it clear he thinks he's in that "middle 80%," recently declaring he's moved from "moderate D to moderate R" (incoherent string of babble, but sure, go with it).

Funny...he's only antagonized and prodded "far left" accounts while being friendly and "agreeing" with far right ones. Almost like he says one thing and does another.

Either he is naive, or he is delusional. Not good either way. 😌

I recommend this talk by Elon’s friend Tim Urban:

Cliffs: it’s not right vs left that’s the war, it the low rung vs high rung. Elon wants to please the high run and doesn’t care if some low rung people get’s upset.

Here’s my take: (not that you asked me and probably don’t care but here it is anyway ;) )

What is Elon’s goal? To get everyone to switch to EVs and sustainable energy ASAP. NOT to just buy a Tesla. Tesla has plenty of business. Dems already will buy EVs. Republicans are a bit less likely on average. So pandering to the right a bit will get more of them to consider it. That’s a win for his goal even if he loses customers on the left.

Also he has seen ridiculous attacks from the left. Downright lying from big names like Warren and Sanders. He has also seen major support for Giga Texas by the right. Hence is favoring the right at the moment. This is probably the biggest driver for him supporting the center right.

Since Elon was serious about buying Twitter just like he was serious about starting the boring company while sitting in traffic, this really could not play out any other way.

Twitter didn’t want to sell. Had Elon raised the concern about bots being more than 5% prior to the agreed sale, Twitter would just say, “that’s what it is. If you don’t believe us….tough, walk away”. After all, Twitter was considering a poison pill to keep Elon away.

My prediction is that Elon will go through with buying Twitter no matter what but for (hopefully) a reduced price.

As far as if this is a good move? I think ultimately he could make Twitter very profitable and probably at least double the value when he IPO’s it in a few years.

Probably his money is better kept in Tesla as far as gains are concerned but this Twitter purchase has been insane free advertising so far. (Although I guess buying Twitter isn’t free and the stock has taken a temporary hit.). Therefore really expensive advertising….haha. But… I’m a glass half full kinda person in regards to Elon.

Reactions: FlatSix911
So then we should shut down the discussion board I guess if we can't discuss what Elon does? Or is only cult worship and praise of his actions allowed?

The POINT is people here are saying the same thing 100X over in some desperate hope that their wishful thinking is going to change things.

It's like my youngest keeps praying for a pony every night at bed. It is just not going to happen, no matter how bad the snowflakes want it to. Elon's buying Twitter, come hell or high water, case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.