Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is the Twitter board has zero reason to believe that providing more information to Musk that is not required by the merger agreement will increase the chances of the deal closing. It is obvious he wants to back out of the deal! And of course they were already wary of doing a deal with him in the first place. They put the specific performance and waiving due diligence clauses in the contract because he's erratic and they don't trust him.
They have zero control over whether or not there will be a lengthy court case. The court could force Elon to pay up (he has the money).

This is such a gross over-simplification, with the wrong conclusions.

1) the Twitter board just today DID provide him with additional data. They would not have done that if they didn't think the deal would still go through and that they had an obligation to provide it (see point 2 below)
2) there was a leak today that Elon's backers wanted more data on the bot issue as a contingency of their financing, so that adds additional pressure on the BoD to provide that data

Both of the above strongly suggest that he wants to continue to pursue the deal.

Reactions: FlatSix911
This is such a gross over-simplification, with the wrong conclusions.

1) the Twitter board just today DID provide him with additional data. They would not have done that if they didn't think the deal would still go through and that they had an obligation to provide it (see point 2 below)
2) there was a leak today that Elon's backers wanted more data on the bot issue as a contingency of their financing, so that adds additional pressure on the BoD to provide that data

Both of the above strongly suggest that he wants to continue to pursue the deal.
The report is that they provided him with only public information. Not saying they won’t provide private information in the future though.
Elon doesn’t need financing to complete the deal, he’s worth more than $200 billion. There’s also no way he could convince a judge that he can’t get financing unless Tesla shares fall a lot more.

Just saying the court could rule Twitter is a fraud. Just sayin'.
Certainly possible. Twitter having 218 million human users a day doesn't seem unlikely to me though. Still, it's definitely something I would investigate before offering $44 billion.
If I were a Tesla investor, who thought Musk truly believed that calculation is fraudulent, I would be worried that he's projecting.

Last edited:
If I were a Tesla investor, who thought Musk truly believed that calculation is fraudulent, I would be worried that he's projecting.
C’mon, stop with the bashing. Cybertruck is less than 5% fraudulent. But when doing this calculation, you cannot include the FSD portion.

Last edited:
đź’©
It's a good thing for Twitter that the SEC filings don't say that. Go back and read all the discussion of "monetizable daily active users."
Summary: Twitter reports a number called mDAU which is intended to exclude bots. They claim 5% of that number is bots (with many disclaimers).
Nahhh, let’s ignore the actual wording and oversimplify it to rationalize making Elon look righteous here. He’s just been flakey in an exponential way during this entire deal and the fanboys want to keep buying everything he says. Twitter didn’t try to sell him a bill of goods. They didn’t want to sell to him at all.
HE proposed this deal, he set the terms, including what further information about the company he needed -- apparently none because he knows everything -- and now because he quickly realized this is a really dumb business deal he is desperate to back out at as a little cost as possible while trying to protect his rep as a genius by blaming anyone and everyone he can. The facts couldn’t be more clear.

Reactions: Brn2Run and JRP3
I haven't seen even the biggest Elon fanboys saying he's getting a good deal at $44 billion. haha.
I think we can assume that the Twitter board is doing whatever they think will maximize the chances of closing the deal at the agreed upon price.
Yup. If they don’t their shareholders will sue THEM. They’re between a rock and a hard place. They didn’t want the deal, Elon forced them into it, now he doesn’t want to do it and they can’t walk away either. Good times.

The report is that they provided him with only public information. Not saying they won’t provide private information in the future though.
Elon doesn’t need financing to complete the deal, he’s worth more than $200 billion. There’s also no way he could convince a judge that he can’t get financing unless Tesla shares fall a lot more.

Actually, if you read the report, it's not public info. It's a large raw data dump, that they "sell" to about 10-20 other companies.

Still not the private data set that they use for their own calculation, but it's a start.

If Dorsey as CEO was aware their SEC filings were frauds, going back to the IPO, which is what would have to be true for this to hold up he'd be looking a pretty big legal repercussions- so this suggestion is...unpersuasive... unless you think Dorsey is an active fraudster.

Could be. If so, he's likely liable if the SEC filings are fraudulent.

Could also be he's just saying "I don't know the answer to this Elon, but if you really want to know, here is the dataset you want". Being that Jack may not be giving him the answers (and legit he may not know), but he knows what to tell Elon to make Elon's search for information more efficient.

No mention of Twitter. Don't know how it fits.

Electrek.co: Elon Musk reveals what Tesla’s Master Plan Part 3 is about. Elon Musk reveals what Tesla's Master Plan Part 3 is about

Three months later, he has yet to release the plan and during a companywide meeting held last night, with details obtained by Electrek, Musk was asked by an employee what the new plan is going to be about.

The CEO responded: Master Plan Part 3 is all about achieving very large scale. In order to shift the entire energy infrastructure and transport infrastructure of earth, there has to be a very high scale. We have to ask what is the actual tonnage? If we work backward from let’s say about 300 TWh of installed capacity in vehicles and stationary (battery packs) then how do you achieve that tonnage from a mining and refining standpoint, but also do so in a sustainable way. Musk then summarized:

That’s what Master Plan Part 3 is: how do you get to enough scale to actually shift the entire energy infrastructure of earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.