Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: FlatSix911
I’m confused. Why is 10% being equated to the 5%? They’re measuring completely different things aren’t they? Do they have a magic super-secret way to count active users?

It sounds like they’re looking at accounts that tweet, which is not the same definition as I understand it.

Reactions: ohmman
The firm’s model used multiple factors to determine whether a specific account was “spam,” including whether its tweets originated from third-party applications;
I'm pretty sure third-party apps use the API and are therefore not counted as monetizable users. And of course we have no idea how many of these accounts are excluded from mDAU for other reasons.
It's just completely apples and oranges.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'm not sure what it is that makes people think that Elon suddenly approves of advertising. So far as he's said, it's all a pack of lies. Why would he allow it at all if he's in charge of Twitter?

He probably thinks he can make it an appealing enough platform, through technological improvements, that some will pay to participate. Enough to at least break even. Maybe. I don't think he cares about making money off of Twitter. And, of course, no advertising will make the service more appealing to actual users.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
I'm not sure what it is that makes people think that Elon suddenly approves of advertising. So far as he's said, it's all a pack of lies. Why would he allow it at all if he's in charge of Twitter?

He probably thinks he can make it an appealing enough platform, through technological improvements, that some will pay to participate. Enough to at least break even. Maybe. I don't think he cares about making money off of Twitter. And, of course, no advertising will make the service more appealing to actual users.
Because it seems crazy to buy a company for $44 billion whose primary product is targeted ads and then throw that out. I guess that's why we're not billionaires though. :p Even if Elon doesn't care about making money he's recruited other investors who I'm sure do care.
$1.11 billion of Twitter's $1.2 billion in revenue last quarter was advertising. The only subscription services with that kind of revenue that I can think of are the streaming services.

Because it seems crazy to buy a company for $44 billion whose primary product is targeted ads and then throw that out. I guess that's why we're not billionaires though. :p Even if Elon doesn't care about making money he's recruited other investors who I'm sure do care.
$1.11 billion of Twitter's $1.2 billion in revenue last quarter was advertising. The only subscription services with that kind of revenue that I can think of are the streaming services.
I’m probably naive because I don’t really use it, but would enough people really pay to use Twitter, of all platforms? It seems like a wild idea to me, but I also hate almost any subscription service.

Reactions: _Redshift_ and JRP3
I’m probably naive because I don’t really use it, but would enough people really pay to use Twitter, of all platforms? It seems like a wild idea to me, but I also hate almost any subscription service.
Elon's idea is to charge only certain users which makes sense to me but I have no idea how much revenue you could generate that way. It seems like you would definitely want a free tier to keep the audience size large.

If Elon filmed himself behind the scenes weekly in the CT prototype shop and exclusively loaded to Twitter would you consider signing up? This is one of a million things he could do. Disney+ is doing really well on subscriptions with just a handful of new Star Wars etc. content.

If Elon filmed himself behind the scenes weekly in the CT prototype shop and exclusively loaded to Twitter would you consider signing up? This is one of a million things he could do. Disney+ is doing really well on subscriptions with just a handful of new Star Wars etc. content.
No because whatever he posts would quickly be disseminated for free elsewhere.

Reactions: _Redshift_
Disney+ has actual production content. Are you suggesting Twitter would become a production company? Because no, I would not sign up for some “behind the scenes” content. There is plenty of non-production quality video out there for free and I can’t imagine paying for something like TikTok.

Disney+ has actual production content. Are you suggesting Twitter would become a production company? Because no, I would not sign up for some “behind the scenes” content. There is plenty of non-production quality video out there for free and I can’t imagine paying for something like TikTok.

Also, like JRP3 pointed out, the posted content would become available for free elsewhere within hours.

To pay for something, I need the content to be consistently high quality stuff.

My YouTube content is highly curated because I weed out all the click bait thumbnail videos, and trivial nonsense like people giving away Lamborghinis to the last one taking their hand off the car, etc.

Will Twitter provide serious, thoughtful content? I doubt it.

ROFL @ the people here commenting on selling ads . . . who have clearly not even paid for an online ad before.

Google - MASSIVELY profitable, just on "impressions", much more so on "clicks"
Facebook - not exactly a well-moderated platform, still sells tons of ads daily for just about everything

There is plenty, PLENTY of room for Twitter in the social media ad space. All they have to do it provide a reasonable way to generate "impressions" for their ad buyers to the user base, and undercut the above 2 companies on cost, and believe me businesses will try them out.

And yes, I speak from experience here, my business works closely with some very VERY large advertisers (you've probably ridden in one of their ride-share services in the past quarter). They are ALWAYS looks for new avenues to spread their advertising.

Reactions: FlatSix911
You people are seriously underestimating Elon. Let's see.

I have been a Tesla owner since 2013. I have been huge fan of Elon and Tesla. I have seen how he has changed in the last few years.

I used to be in the ‘never underestimate him’ camp, but in the past couple of years, not so much.

He has made a number of missteps with this Twitter deal. Any angle you look at it.

I have been a Tesla owner since 2013. I have been huge fan of Elon and Tesla. I have seen how he has changed in the last few years.

I used to be in the ‘never underestimate him’ camp, but in the past couple of years, not so much.

He has made a number of missteps with this Twitter deal. Any angle you look at it.
You can't make a new world without breaking a few norms. His "mistakes" can be viewed differently if you choose to.

Status
Not open for further replies.