Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly the same as all those people driving giant trucks
But every month is truck month in Texas….

I couldn’t tell you how many people I know that got heavy duty trucks for the S179 break despite a different vehicle being more suitable for them.

Half of them can’t even park it in their garage.
And this is exactly what I’m talking about perverse incentive, it’s not just the poors being given crumbs for their allegiance.

Elon should simply make Twitter ad free, for now. Then he’s not beholden to anyone. It will cost $4.5 billion in revenue, but will save $1 billion on acquisition, marketing, legal, etc. Costs cuts in other areas - making a bloated company lean and efficient - will save another $1.5 billion. Then there’s extra income, like payments for the blue check marks and other things that can reasonably be monetised. The loss will be maybe $1.5 billion per year, which can be paid from cash reserves. This will give him a few years to turn things around. The number of active members will grow. It likely is growing now, because of all the publicity. After a while advertisers may even be begging to reintroduce advertising, because they want the eyeballs.

You do realize he has co investors on the deal. He does not own Twitter outright. I am guessing they would not be down with such a drastic move.
And frankly, cutting advertising will not save $1 billion in costs. I would be surprised if it saves a quarter of that. There is not an additional $1.5 billion in costs to save at Twitter without radically altering the product. All that infrastructure costs money. It’s a myth that Twitter is a bloated company.
Lastly your analysis seems to leave out the cost of servicing that $13 billion in additional debt he took to acquire the company.

Ain’t gonna happen. He needs every dollar of advertising revenue he can get.

Last edited:
This is the kind of feedback I fear. One of several associating Tesla with musks Twitter debacle.
Edited with a more indicative tweet.

Attachments

• 985C106A-E70F-45FA-87D1-58F57FDF3330.png
    985C106A-E70F-45FA-87D1-58F57FDF3330.png
    745.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
The further I dig into the reply threads on Elon's tweets, the more I'm reminded why I spend no time on Twitter
I'm shocked at the amount of money Twitter makes (or made) on ads. I read stuff one tweet or one thread at a time, generally because it's linked from somewhere else, and I rarely to never notice any ads. I have never bought anything or even noticed a product because of exposure to it on Twitter.

I'm shocked at the amount of money Twitter makes (or made) on ads. I read stuff one tweet or one thread at a time, generally because it's linked from somewhere else, and I rarely to never notice any ads. I have never bought anything or even noticed a product because of exposure to it on Twitter.
The millions we see today aren’t the same millions we saw when we were younger.

I rarely heard the number trillion until sometime in the last decade, now so commonplace.

I'm using open-source third party apps on mobile (via F-Droid). And Tweetdeck on desktop with uBlock. I visit Twitter many times a day and have never seen a Twitter ad.

I might consider paying a subscription if Twitter make things right. E.g no crypto BS, less pro-business moves, new moderation tools, efforts to switch to AT Protocol, Twitter executives not trolling politicians only on the left for stupid *sugar* while the fascists are actually gaining grounds everywhere, etc).

Is Elon hurting himself in the process? Yep.

The only way Elon wins, is to not play their game, and keep his mouth shut.
These sum up the problem. You don't need to read MSM to see the mess, just read Elon's Tweets. No spin needed, he's creating the disaster all on his own. MSM will just use it to magnify the volume. I'll say it again, Elon has no instinct for social media. (No I do no subscribe to the idea that all press is good press.)

Status
Not open for further replies.