Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have absolutely no idea where Elon plans to take Twitter on this kind of stuff. As best I can tell, he just thinks suppressing hate speech and racism and conspiracy BS was getting in the way of some of his personal politics. Alas, that doesn't really inform a uniform set of moderation rules upon which to base a town hall service.
Think of it as moving the Overton window more towards the center where most people reside and are comfortable engaging in since it was very clear that under the Gadde regime only one of the extremes was totally suppressed.

If I’m being generous I’d call it R35/L50 split on content previously where as now we should end up with closer to R40/L40 with Q/BlueAnon both on the sidelines where they belong.

Nobody who wants to make money signs a binding agreement to buy an unprofitable company at a substantial premium...

If you want to make money, you at least make sure you try to drive hard for the best deal possible. But we know that he was more interested in trolling and making jokes, down to the purchase price of $54.20 per share.

Unless he's willing to throw about $1.4 billion a year at a personal free speech absolutism project in which Twitter is no longer beholden to advertisers. He's certainly capable of doing that for the rest of his life, if he really wanted to.
A compromise solution is Elon carries Twitter until he can turn it around.

It was best to get the bad news in terms of layoffs and an extra charges out of the way early and over quickly.

I have little doubt that he can build on the product to make it more attractive in terms of functionality.

The difficult part is setting moderation standards and having a quality debate. Anything built on top of the "town square" is limited by the quality of the "town square" environment.

Elon is too optimistic and sees himself as in the "reasonable centre" but he is actually to the right of the "reasonable centre". The other problem is expecting rational and respectful debate,. constructive debate whch changes people's opinions. Certainly the extreme left and the extreme right are very unlikely to engage in respectful debate and to change their opinions.

If Twitter viewers are able to set filters such as "no politics", "no cryptocurrency", "no violence" etc, to filter out debate they don't want to see, that will be a big help.
Elon has hinted at the development of these filters and I think a default to age appropriate filters, or "no nasty stuff" for new users is a good idea.

To be successful, Twitter needs filters

l've joined Twitter, but never posted, and I don't intend to post.

The reason I joined was to subscribe to "State Emergency" information about wild fires, storms, floods, road closures. That service is working well, and saves lives, I expect them to pay the $8 per month though there is a slight case for the fee to be waved for some public service users.

Elon no longer on tilt (at the moment):

Too bad he has no track record of holding it together for more than about 12 hours.
Oh my freakin' goodness! Elon asked the Everyday Astronaut:

How does YouTube monetization work & what could Twitter do better?

This is like promising to win the Indy 500 and then admitting you don't know how to drive. It appears that Elon literally does not know the first thing about monetizing a social media platform.

Just a few months ago many of Elon's supporters fell for his BS about how poorly Twitter was managed and claimed the Twitter managers were quaking in their boots because Elon was going to use his lawsuit to mop the floor with them. The Elon cheerleaders were wrong. Has there been any apologies or are they continuing to opine pretending they haven't been horribly wrong about most things related to Elon and Twitter?

Elon has been right about a lot of wonderful things: EVs, re-usable space ships, satellite internet and so on. But he seems to be whiffing on his Twitter related assessments. IMO pre-Elon Twitter was a cesspool and of little interest but it now seems clear they got a lot of things right and they got a lot more right than Elon currently is. Just getting Twitter back to where it was before he bought it would be a major victory.

The analogy I've used ever since Elon first started talking about buying Twitter is Michael Jordan's brief stint playing professional baseball. For those who don't know, Michael Jordan was the best basketball player of his generation and maybe the best basketball player of all time. He quit all that to try his hand playing minor league baseball.

It did not go well even though he was one of the most gifted athletes to walk the face of the Earth. He eventually went back to playing basketball. His athletic gifts, his excellent physical shape, even his great determination and competitive spirit did not translate well to baseball.

I predicted it would be the same with Elon and Twitter. I've also said that people with Asperger's are not well suited to running Twitter by tweeting even though Asperger's can be helpful in engineering endeavors. Elon's transition from Tesla to Twitter appears to be a greater abyss than Jordan's transition from basketball to baseball.

Oh my freakin' goodness! Elon asked the Everyday Astronaut:

How does YouTube monetization work & what could Twitter do better?

This is like promising to win the Indy 500 and then admitting you don't know how to drive. It appears that Elon literally does not know the first thing about monetizing a social media platform.
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw that tweet. There's nothing wrong with admitting you don't know something - but to admit something of this magnitude in public a week after you just took private one of the biggest social media platforms on the planet is something else.

2015F1BF-D99A-4EF0-BC96-52C159B7F90E.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw that tweet. There's nothing wrong with admitting you don't know something - but to admit something of this magnitude in public a week after you just took private one of the biggest social media platforms on the planet is something else.

And the answer (which seemingly Elon doesn't know?) is that big properties like YouTube, TikTok, etc PAY their top content creators based on quality and engagement, providing an endless supply of affordable material that billions of eyeballs then watch and can be monetized.

Elon's first action was to charge his best creators more. Then he fired most of the people who keep track of good vs bad content.

If you read that thread deeper, you'll eventually reach the part where he confesses that they've had to completely defer action of account suspension appeals - basically there's no one left to look into creators who are falsely accused.

It's spin and fantasy that if you fire 3500 of the total 7500 workforce, you magically don't affect the 2000+ who were in charge of moderating the system. They are openly saying they can no longer keep up, and it will get worse because they simply do not have the staff to do the job right any more.

Reactions: Beltsbear
And the answer (which seemingly Elon doesn't know?) is that big properties like YouTube, TikTok, etc PAY their top content creators based on quality and engagement, providing an endless supply of affordable material that billions of eyeballs then watch and can be monetized.

Elon's first action was to charge his best creators more. Then he fired most of the people who keep track of good vs bad content.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
If they needed THAT much moderation capacity they were clearly doing more than just basic moderation.

I'm not surprised at the scale - we're talking worldwide. Hundreds of millions of users, billions of posts and comments. Probably hundreds of thousands of accounts either acting badly or falsely accused of it each day. How many people do you think it would take to properly police all that?

Fact is it's HARD to moderate a major global footprint social media platform - it's not just a technical challenge it is often human, and even political.

I'm not surprised at the scale - we're talking worldwide. Hundreds of millions of users, billions of posts and comments. Probably hundreds of thousands of accounts either acting badly or falsely accused of it each day. How many people do you think it would take to properly police all that?

Fact is it's HARD to moderate a major global footprint social media platform - it's not just a technical challenge it is often human, and even political.
You can train algos to take care of the most obvious stuff which is probably 85-95%.

Well, apparently they may have let go a few too many...

Disclaimer: Not verified.
Indeed, but this is part of the dilemma with Twitter. Elon said he's a free speech "absolutist".

FWIW, there is a thread at Things at Twitter are Clearly Going Well with a guy who works (or worked) for Twitter replying "Can confirm." And, a different person who was at Twitter claiming "It’s true. I was asked to come back Saturday morning….."

I am on Blind so I can see all the replies in the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave EV
Status
Not open for further replies.