Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely ethical if you are trying to show problems with verification and draw the attention of lawmakers.

As I said this is common with "white hat hacking", public "bug bash" etc.

FYI - white hat hacking isn't exactly legal. Most companies look the other way, because it benefits them to have someone point out their bugs for a fee, but by the letter of the law, it's not legal.

Reactions: Spacep0d
FYI - white hat hacking isn't exactly legal. Most companies look the other way, because it benefits them to have someone point out their bugs for a fee, but by the letter of the law, it's not legal.
Not always true.

Companies invite hackers to find bugs. Its been going on for years. Why is that not "legal" ?

Reactions: B@ndit and JRP3
Don't assume your specific "morality" is universal.
Fair enough. There are what I think are horrible people in this world that would think it’s okay to impersonate someone (when it’s not clear it’s parody) and then try to make that person look bad.

Even though it’s my version of morality I’m thinking it’s most peoples version of morality too. Thank god for that.

Absolutely ethical if you are trying to show problems with verification and draw the attention of lawmakers.

As I said this is common with "white hat hacking", public "bug bash" etc.

There is zero chance even Justice Thomas would find it wrong ;)
Now you’re saying that their intent was to show problems in verification. That may have been some of the intent but I think it could have been handled way differently. It could just be pointed out the issues and let Twitter solve them.

I do think some of the intent was to cause harm to Elon.

Now you’re saying that their intent was to show problems in verification. That may have been some of the intent but I think it could have been handled way differently. It could just be pointed out the issues and let Twitter solve them.

I do think some of the intent was to cause harm to Elon.
"harm to Elon" is not the legal issue. Ofcourse when you show any company's products have problems, you are causing its owner "harm".

Not always true.

Companies invite hackers to find bugs. Its been going on for years. Why is that not "legal" ?

No no, that's NOT what I was referring to. That specifically is an INVITATION to do what we call as penetration testing, in the IT world.

I'm referring to "white hat" hackers that go do these kinds of "tests" WITHOUT INVITATION, and then approach the company they did the testing on and asking for a bug bounty. They don't make threats to release anything, but because they did it without explicit permission, by law, it's illegal.

Last edited:
I'm not sure by which law its illegal .... but IANAL.

ps : DMCA ?

It's illegal, and doesn't involve DMCA (which is copyright claims):

Well the problem is that the goal here is to cut costs to make money for one of the richest people alive.

I doubt there are many people who would find this very inspiring.

OTOH Tesla and SpaceX are among the top 2, if not the top 2, desired destinations for engineering graduates. They seem to find it inspiring even if it makes money for the richest person alive.

As an engineer, having a green field to play on and innovate is a lot more inspiring than doing maintenance on a bloated code base.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
OTOH Tesla and SpaceX are among the top 2, if not the top 2, desired destinations for engineering graduates. They seem to find it inspiring even if it makes money for the richest person alive.

As an engineer, having a green field to play on and innovate is a lot more inspiring than doing maintenance on a bloated code base.

Well, SpaceX makes rocket ships and Tesla make really cool electric cars. Those seem like inspiring goals to me but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the engineers at those companies think that rockets and sports cars are kind of lame and they're really there just to make Elon even more money.

• Funny
Reactions: Chunky Jr.
It's illegal, and doesn't involve DMCA (which is copyright claims):
DMCA would be involved if hacking requires any kind of decryption ?

Anyway I guess one could argue the below applies to white hats.
  • Obtaining information from a computer without authorization (computer trespass)
Either way, getting verification with a different name would not come under this ;)

Reactions: sleepydoc
I couldn't disagree more. I've been in Silicon Valley for 30+ years and have seen people happily work 80+ hour weeks for a product/company they believe in. A team of 10 great engineers who are highly motivated can do more than a 500 person team of mediocre people that don't care.
My background is tech as well. 32 years. Dedication is a reasonable ask, especially with small and efficient teams.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
DMCA would be involved if hacking requires any kind of decryption ?

Anyway I guess one could argue the below applies to white hats.
  • Obtaining information from a computer without authorization (computer trespass)
Either way, getting verification with a different name would not come under this ;)

No, DCMA doesn't matter for encryption. It's only a copyright law, nothing else is relevant.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Uh skippy, that's simply not true. MOST of the bannings were against obvious parodies.

Reality is kinda hard, but you really should take a look at it.
Skippy? Why are you getting into mean name calling here 😂

Your reality is obviously different than mine. Some people might not of known those were parody accounts. I think that is very clear reality.
But you can live in an imaginary world and not think that.

To your point @Artful Dodger :

1668624862659.png

People joking about Twitter here, but Musk didn't acquire Meta and there is a lot of blood in the streets there too. Huge number of tech workers looking for work right now.

One of the first cost saving measures businesses do during a recession is cut advertising expenses. Musk taking a lot of flack for these layoffs, but considering the current market and Twitter's cost structure it's being blown out-of-proportion. They don't seem that extreme.

Last edited:
I’m not even sure why people are still arguing about this. Elon has said there will be content moderation on Twitter. That is obviously not free speech absolutism (I.e. whatever is legal). Which is fine because nobody actually wants that.
Some people here are moving the goalposts when it suits their narrative. Being a free speech absolutist is Elon's PERSONAL view but nobody said it would be applied to Twitter. Some people are just arguing against strawmen.

I’m not even sure why people are still arguing about this. Elon has said there will be content moderation on Twitter. That is obviously not free speech absolutism (I.e. whatever is legal). Which is fine because nobody actually wants that.
We really don't know what brackets Musk is putting around this.

Is the moderation council going to police things like the Pelosi tweet, or are they going to be focused just on abuse, inciting violence, and essentially calling fire in a crowded theater?

Until we know what the guidelines are for their council, it's really hard to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.