Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people here are moving the goalposts when it suits their narrative. Being a free speech absolutist is Elon's PERSONAL view but nobody said it would be applied to Twitter. Some people are just arguing against strawmen.
Correct. I think Elon is trying his best to make it so there is as much free speech as possible without banning certain people or allowing fake news to be spread. On top of that not censoring real news!

Skippy? Why are you getting into mean name calling here 😂

Your reality is obviously different than mine. Some people might not of known those were parody accounts. I think that is very clear reality.
But you can live in an imaginary world and not think that.

Hey Skippy? I'm using that FREE SPEECH stuff you so love and defend to the death :)

Some people here are moving the goalposts when it suits their narrative. Being a free speech absolutist is Elon's PERSONAL view but nobody said it would be applied to Twitter. Some people are just arguing against strawmen.

No, originally Elon was very clear and explicit that his vision for Twitter was to make all speech free there except when against federal law.

When he got in there and started trying to make that happen, THATs when he found new religion and punted the topic to a not-yet-existent moderation panel while he hand bans posts that hurt his feelings.

So he wasn’t talking about Twitter here? Shouldn’t he have clarified when everyone assumed he was?

Well, SpaceX makes rocket ships and Tesla make really cool electric cars. Those seem like inspiring goals to me but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the engineers at those companies think that rockets and sports cars are kind of lame and they're really there just to make Elon even more money.

Similarly, there are probably lots of engineers at Twitter who really like the product/company and want to help make it even better. Those are the people you want leading the charge for Twitter 2.0.

No, originally Elon was very clear and explicit that his vision for Twitter was to make all speech free there except when against federal law.

When he got in there and started trying to make that happen, THATs when he found new religion and punted the topic to a not-yet-existent moderation panel while he hand bans posts that hurt his feelings.
Stop saying bans people that hurt his feelings. He banned people that impersonated him.

Honestly, give him some time. I think he is going to try his best to make it a free speech platform that doesn’t entice hate, spread fake news, ban politicians or other people that follow the rules of the platform, and does not censor true information.

What free speech is he removing?

Nope I think you can think that. Although, I think he will prove you wrong and make Twitter successful.

I don’t think Elon is perfect and no one is. From what I have observed he is trying to do good and he’s doing a lot better job of helping humanity than most people. That’s why if someone doesn’t like him they are focusing on the few mistakes that he has made to excuse themselves to not like him. I think it really all stems from jealousy.
Yes, we’re all jealous of Elon, and there are really no grounds to criticize anything he’s done.
Not even sure why this thread was even necessary. Mods! Help! Can you delete it all?

Well that would be up to the courts then.

Let’s get this clear. If you think it is ok to impersonate another person online and it’s not obvious that it’s a parody and then try to make them look bad then you have serious moral issues.
Indeed. So the courts need to decide exactly what "harming, intimidating, threatening, or defrauding" means.

Oh, then there is this:
"Any person who suffers damage or loss because of the impersonation may bring a civil action for damages and injunctive relief."

Only one person has legal standing to file that lawsuit against Kathy. And then the burden of proof is on him to prove that he was actually harmed.

Regarding the whole impersonation/mocking Elon and getting banned thing;

I'd like to say something as someone who is obviously not a fan of Elon. I'm kind of on his side on this one. There's no discussion forum that'll tolerate someone maliciously impersonating another user. Based on some of the examples of this impersonation I think a reasonable person would assume that it isn't satire, it's just an attack on Twitter intended to delegitimize it.

I'd like to say something as someone who is obviously not a fan of Elon. I'm kind of on his side on this one. There's no discussion forum that'll tolerate someone maliciously impersonating another user. Based on some of the examples of this impersonation I think a reasonable person would assume that it isn't satire, it's just an attack on Twitter intended to delegitimize it.

You're almost there.

The attack was mocking EXACTLY what Elon said he wanted twitter to be, and which he directly enabled by selling verified status to anyone for any name for $8.

People took him at his word, gave him the $8 and then SHOWED him what free speech absolutism actually looks like - you get to parody the crap out of people including Elon himself - none of which was against the law which was the standard Elon was pushing.

On our side we AGREE that content moderation is essential, and it's been the Elon-fans who have been telling us for months that we're wrong and that content moderation is evil and that it's great that Elon fired most of the humans doing that job at Twitter (along with the team who used to vett blue checkmark accounts to make sure they were legit).

Can you see the irony here?

In general Twitter needs to be better at eliminating accounts impersonating people, not worse. There is no value to society in impersonation unless it is understood to be parody by the audience. Impersonators can be funny, for example the account which is an AI of fake Elon tweets might be amusing to some (I haven't checked it out myself), but it's understood to be parody. But as soon as you start deliberately trying to fool people by impersonating someone, you are being malicious and potentially destructive.

That needs to be purged.

Stop saying bans people that hurt his feelings. He banned people that impersonated him.
Which is NOT consistent with "free speech absolutism" as HE defined it. It's not like anyone is trying to get Elon to live up to his or her standards. People are only trying to get Elon to live up to Elon's standards, whether or not they agree with said standards personally.

You're almost there.

The attack was mocking EXACTLY what Elon said he wanted twitter to be, and which he directly enabled by selling verified status to anyone for any name for $8.

People took him at his word, gave him the $8 and then SHOWED him what free speech absolutism actually looks like - you get to parody the crap out of people including Elon himself - none of which was against the law which was the standard Elon was pushing.

On our side we AGREE that content moderation is essential, and it's been the Elon-fans who have been telling us for months that we're wrong and that content moderation is evil and that it's great that Elon fired most of the humans doing that job at Twitter (along with the team who used to vett blue checkmark accounts to make sure they were legit).

Can you see the irony here?
Do you always talk down to people?

You’re almost there?

Skippy!

You know that talking down doesn’t help your case or make you some sort of authority.

It’s not nice and reflects poorly on you.

I’ll defend your right to talk that way though!

Which is NOT consistent with "free speech absolutism" as HE defined it. It's not like anyone is trying to get Elon to live up to his or her standards. People are only trying to get Elon to live up to Elon's standards, whether or not they agree with said standards personally.
I love how people want to tweak "Free Speech" to mean whatever they think it should mean for their argument regardless of how ridiculous it is.

You can say whatever you want. You just can't do it with the same public username as someone else. There is a difference between identity and speech. Twitter can and absolutely should enforce and protect identity to some degree.

You can say whatever you want. You just can't do it with the same public username as someone else.
Twitter and every other platform enforces a unique name for every account. Kathy's handle is @KathyGriffin and once it is registered, no other account can use it. Everyone on Twitter knows that handles are unique, that the handle shows up both in the URL *and* below the username, and that the username is NOT unique and can be changed to anything at any time. So if you are trying to find the identity of the posting account, you use the handle, not the username. And in any case, identity theft is a specific crime that requires using someone else's credentials to commit fraud. No fraud, no identity theft.

Last edited:
Reactions: B@ndit
Twitter and every other platform enforces a unique name for every account. Kathy's handle is @KathyGriffin and once it is registered, no other account can use it. Everyone on Twitter knows that handles are unique, that the handle shows up both in the URL *and* below the username, and that the username is NOT unique and can be changed to anything at any time. So if you are trying to find the identity of the posting account, you use the handle, not the username. And in any case, identity theft is a specific crime that requires using someone else's credentials to commit fraud. No fraud, no identity theft.
Because the difference between STS–134 and STS-134 is to the casual observer right? There are a million unicode look-alikes for most names. There are invisible unicode characters and things like trailing underscores, double underscores or a hundred other ways impersonators fake being the original user.

Suggesting enforcing unique usernames is enough is stupid.

Do you always talk down to people?

You’re almost there?

Skippy!

You know that talking down doesn’t help your case or make you some sort of authority.

It’s not nice and reflects poorly on you.

I’ll defend your right to talk that way though!

You really don't understand this free speech stuff do ya?

Twitter is so awesome now that awesome people with no money will work there for basically nothing:

EA48CDAD-2810-445C-BBB0-F5580B416745.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.