Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have literally not said anything remotely like that. In fact I said several things that are the opposite of that.

I'll suggest again that if you're unable to argue honestly, which I've pointed out specific examples of your unwillingness to do several times now, just don't argue at all.
You just spent 4 posts telling me about how Twitter didn’t have enough engineers to keep the lights on. If you think they are going to be solvent in 3 months then clearly they have enough engineering talent. Make up your mind. Do they have enough engineering talent or not? Because if you think they do, then what are you even getting on about?

Citation please!

The original (Nov. 10) NYT article said:

At the meeting on Thursday, Mr. Musk warned employees that Twitter did not have the necessary cash to survive, [...]

Mr. Musk added that he had recently sold Tesla stock to “save” Twitter. He has sold nearly $4 billion in Tesla shares recently, according to regulatory filings this week.
Do you really think this money went to something other than paying off debt? You seem to be implying that Musk sold TSLA at a low price in order to sock the money away in a bank account somewhere.

Elon had previously said he was done with selling TSLA to pay for Twitter. Then after the purchase, Twitter's revenue was less than he expected so Elon changed his mind and sold more TSLA to "save" Twitter. Presumably to make up for the revenue shortfall.

Elon has been saying the fourth quarter should be spectacular for Tesla. The first deliveries of the Semi, ramping up Austin and Berlin, and the upcoming tax rebates should all help boost TSLA in the near future. Why would Elon sell so much TSLA so disadvantageously other than to pay off high interest debts/loans?

I previously asked this question here and AFAIK no alternatives were suggested.

This guy already cited it for me:

Elon sold SPECIFICALLY for Twitter (not the purchase, the continued operations).

I voted Yes.

He hasn't even been charged yet ... So, why ban ?
Actually this Tweet from Elon covers the major problem:-

The other issue is, misleading information which can be covered by fact checking.

I understand Elon's point of view :-
  • Hide negative/hate speech, but don't ban it.
  • Allow Freedom of speech, but fact check it.
  • Hope that respectful debate changes some opinions.
I don't remember much public commentary from Trump that adds much of value and substance. I remember plenty that divides opinion, raises the temperature of the public debate, and borders on hate speech.

Still I don't think him being reinstated will be a disaster,

IMO political opinions in the US are more locked in than most other countries of the world, Trump being on Twitter, or not being on Twitter, will not change the way many Americans vote. It will give lazy journalists and easy way to stir up public emotions.

I've seen this recently on TMC, even intelligent people here can be steered in bad directions by emotions, resulting in a loss of rationality.
Emotion is the enemy of rational thought.

We don't need Americans thinking more emotionally and less rationally. We don't need America divided, and fighting amongst yourselves. America's contribution to the world is more important than one man's ego.

You just spent 4 posts telling me about how Twitter didn’t have enough engineers to keep the lights on.

I literally did not.

Is it that you didn't READ any of my actual words?

Or that you didn't UNDERSTAND any of my actual words?

Or that you just reflexively replace ANY argument critical of Elon in ANY way with an imaginary one you made up?

One more time- if you can't argue honestly, maybe don't argue?

This guy already cited it for me:

Elon sold SPECIFICALLY for Twitter (not the purchase, the continued operations).
Thanks but that does not seem to support your claims/implications. Paying off high interest loans (that Musk was originally planning to pay off slowly with revenue) would help with continued operations. When Musk says things that are vague or open to interpretation, you have to be very careful about how you interpret them. Again I ask, do you really think Elon sold all that TSLA just so he could sock the money away in a bank account somewhere?

For example, if Musk wanted $400M/month for operating expenses, wouldn't it make more sense to sell $400M of TSLA per month rather than selling $4B all at once? What's he going to do with the extra $3.6B other than invest it back in TSLA? Selling and putting the money in the bank only makes sense for someone who feels really bearish about Tesla.

Thanks but that does not seem to support your claims/implications. Paying off high interest loans (that Musk was originally planning to pay off slowly with revenue) would help with continued operations. When Musk says things that are vague or open to interpretation, you have to be very careful about how you interpret them. Again I ask, do you really think Elon sold all that TSLA just so he could sock the money away in a bank account somewhere?

For example, if Musk wanted $400M/month for operating expenses, wouldn't it make more sense to sell $400M of TSLA per month rather than selling $4B all at once? What's he going to do with the extra $3.6B other than invest it back in TSLA? Selling and putting the money in the bank only makes sense for someone who feels really bearish about Tesla.

Believe what you want, but Elon (by law) can't just buy and sell Tesla stock on a whim. There are defined trading periods that he must adhere to, and windows he simply cannot buy or sell stock, period, no exceptions. If Twitter needs an emergency cash infusion, he would be up a pickle.

But hey, if you aren't going to be believe his plain-spoken words about this, who cares. You know best.

Last edited:
Believe what you want, but Elon (by law) can't just buy and sell Tesla stock on a whim. There are defined trading periods that he must adhere to, and windows he simply cannot buy or sell stock, period, no exceptions. If Twitter needs an emergency cash infusion, he would be up a pickle.

But hey, if you aren't going to be believe his plain-spoken words about this, who cares. You know best.
Forgive a small nitpick.

There are a couple exceptions. For example he could leave instructions with his broker to sell given some criteria. Or schedule stock sales. For example he could sell 1000 shares every Tuesday if he wanted to.

Need to be exceptionally careful with that because it is an instant red flag and a quick way to get regulator attention, but it is definitely possible.

Selling to get cash to prop up Twitter? Not so much.

/pedant

The most surprising thing about this thread, and I say this as a long time member of this site who has watched the "Elon Musk" thread forever, is that people really seem to think they "know" what Elon thinks or wants or intends at every turn. I see an inordinate number of posts talking about "Elon will" or "Elon believes" or whatever. I'd multi quote them but it would feel a little ad hominem. I just don't know if any of us really has that insight. Really, the posts should be "it seems like Elon.." or "I suspect Elon.." if we're all trying to be honest. And it softens the rhetoric quite a bit because it doesn't feel so cocksure.

The most surprising thing about this thread, and I say this as a long time member of this site who has watched the "Elon Musk" thread forever, is that people really seem to think they "know" what Elon thinks or wants or intends at every turn. I see an inordinate number of posts talking about "Elon will" or "Elon believes" or whatever. I'd multi quote them but it would feel a little ad hominem. I just don't know if any of us really has that insight. Really, the posts should be "it seems like Elon.." or "I suspect Elon.." if we're all trying to be honest. And honestly, it softens the rhetoric quite a bit because it doesn't feel so cocksure.
Musk builds his businesses all in a similar way. There is a similar culture at all his companies and that translates into the type of people he attracts and repels.

Look long and hard at what SpaceX, Tesla, and Boring Company have in common and there is a pretty fair chance that’s a good glance at what Twitter will end up like.

Maybe not a great response to your question. But personally I think this is the only really super predictable thing about Musk. That and memes.

Someone who believes Musk may have a good investment:

The Harvard Business School Professor Who Isn’t Counting Elon Musk Out

"Wu: I will say, on the upside, what Musk has accomplished so far at Tesla and SpaceX is really unbelievable and impressive and really special, as far as his generation of business leaders in terms of the amount of scale and resources needed to mass-produce electric cars and build commercial spaceships. It’s unfathomable, and he actually got there. The challenge now is that Musk has never been held to a benchmark of actually being profitable.

Nyce: Isn’t profitability pretty important if you’re a business executive?

Wu: We think about growth and profitability separately. When you’re in the growth phase of the business, investors value you on growth, and you can justify growing without thinking about profitability. At some point, inevitably, any business has to shift to thinking about profitability. And we don’t know yet if that’s within Musk’s skill set"

Dude.

Speak for yourself. I made a pretty clear point

The point appears to be you either didn't read, didn't understand, or just chose to make up counter-factual narratives about what I actually said.

Which, while clear, is pretty awful as a "point"

And when repeatedly called out on you claiming things literally the opposite of my actual words you had no reply but to double down on the dishonesty.

And I'm hardly the only one in the thread you've done it too either- repeatedly insisting others provide "evidence" of the half-misquoted things you imagine they said, while refusing all calls to support a single thing you yourself claim.

There are defined trading periods that he must adhere to, and windows he simply cannot buy or sell stock, period, no exceptions.

This is factually untrue of course.

A 10b5-1 plan would allow him to pre-plan sales for ANY period, even periods he otherwise would not be allowed to sell during without one. So it literally IS an exception to your "no exceptions" idea.

How useful that might be for twitter might vary depending on the expected need for funds and the conditions he sets in the plan- but it's a thing he could do.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke and B@ndit
Someone who believes Musk may have a good investment:

The Harvard Business School Professor Who Isn’t Counting Elon Musk Out

"Wu: I will say, on the upside, what Musk has accomplished so far at Tesla and SpaceX is really unbelievable and impressive and really special, as far as his generation of business leaders in terms of the amount of scale and resources needed to mass-produce electric cars and build commercial spaceships. It’s unfathomable, and he actually got there. The challenge now is that Musk has never been held to a benchmark of actually being profitable.

Nyce: Isn’t profitability pretty important if you’re a business executive?

Wu: We think about growth and profitability separately. When you’re in the growth phase of the business, investors value you on growth, and you can justify growing without thinking about profitability. At some point, inevitably, any business has to shift to thinking about profitability. And we don’t know yet if that’s within Musk’s skill set"

What are they talking about? Tesla is wildly profitable. The fact that they don't know that is pretty lame.

Dumpster fire about to get a lot bigger... going to turn into a barge soon.

I think the interesting thing is that if Trump's account is reinstated, will he actually come back? Trump has said multiple times he would not leave Truth Social, but I don't think Trump can resist the attention he'd get.

That said - if Elon still thinks that Twitter polls are at all accurate or represent the will of the people as he seems to suggest - well I've got a $44B social media bridge to sell him.

Agreed there it is, the moderate centrist insurrectionism which Twitter had been suppressing :)

<citationrequired>
Read on then

I mean- it kinda does.

Because nearly all the development was by the government or with government funding.

So it wasn't a COMMERCIAL industry.

SpaceX largely INVENTED that.
Completely wrong. Air Force only invested $500M each into Boeing and LM for developing EELVs, Boeing spent more than $1.5B to develop Delta IV, and Lockheed Martin also spent about a billion dollars of their own money developing Atlas V, now tell me again how spending $1B of their own money vs $500M from the government equals to "nearly all the development was done with government funding" as you claimed.

And as I said before, while Falcon 1 was developed with private funding, Falcon 9 was developed partially with NASA funding, and Falcon 9 is what made SpaceX successful, how can Falcon 1 invented a commercial industry when it's retired after just 5 launches with 3 failures?

And even then the few government contractors that occasionally launched a coms sat did so a handful of times a year at best- and for massively high price.
Wrong again, here's a list of GEO commsat orders every year, now count how many orders there're for 2003, in what dictionary does 24 equals "a handful"?

But the government did not fund the building or development of the actual rockets

They just bought the space on the first launches.

That was NOT true for the other companies you mention- where the ACTUAL PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT was government funded.
Already showed this to be wrong for EELV, which is a public private partnership where government and Boeing/LM both invest in the project, and in fact Boeing/LM invested more. The same public private partnership model funded Falcon 9, the rocket made SpaceX successful, so there is really no distinction here.

That's a fundamental difference you seem unable to recognize.
Nope, that's just you lacking fundamental understanding of the launch industry.

Sure. But the 787 wasn't build with government funding- neither NASA nor DOD paid to develop the product--- so your analogy makes no actual sense here- even if those agencies later buy plane tickets
As I said, by this logic Falcon 9 is not a commercial rocket either, since SpaceX took NASA funding when developing Falcon 9 and Dragon for COTS.

it's REALLY not.

It's the entire point- and why SpaceX is so far ahead of everyone else in this space.
That's not at all the point, SpaceX is far ahead mainly because Elon sets super ambitious goals and his employees worked very very hard to reach these goals. Has nothing to do with whether SpaceX took government/military development money or not, SpaceX took plenty of government money for development, Falcon 9/Dragon 1 is just a start, they also took about $1.8B to develop Crew Dragon, and now NASA awarded them $4B to develop Starship into a lunar lander.

Nope.

Atlas V and Delta IV were developed for the US Air Force as part of the EELV program with development funded by the government.
Again, you don't know what you're talking about, read some articles about how EELV worked before trying to lecture me.

EELV is a public private partnership, which by definition means private companies need to have skin in the game, and in this case billions of dollars worth of skin. The same public private partnership model funded Falcon 9.

Again you fail to recognize the difference between government DEVELOPMENT and government as a CUSTOMER.
Again what you failed to realize is that SpaceX took plenty of government money for DEVELOPMENT, this include Falcon 9, their most successful product.

Which words, specifically, did you not understand?
"Also the first privately developed spacecraft to put a commercial satellite in orbit" makes no sense, you're confusing launch vehicles with "spacecraft", launch vehicle is the rocket that launches things to orbit, spacecraft is thing (also called "payload") that gets launched into orbit (usually satellites).

SpaceX privately developed the Falcon 1. Things like Atlas V and Delta IV were not privately developed.

The only other orbital launch vehicles to be privately funded and developed were the Conestoga in 1982- which never put a commercial sat in orbit (it only few a few times the last one breaking up soon after launch); and Pegasus, first launched in 1990, which uses a large aircraft as its launch platform and initially did so with a B-52 bomber borrowed from NASA.
Except Falcon 1 did not start an industry, it retired after 5 launches. Falcon 9 is what made SpaceX successful, and that was funded partially via government money, no different from Atlas V and Delta IV.

As for Pegasus using NASA B-52, so what? SpaceX also rented government facilities to launch their rocket, Falcon 1 was going to use SLC-3W inside Vandenberg AFB, later they moved to Kwajalein Atoll but still relies on Reagan Test Site for range. In fact pretty much all of their launches use government pad and range facilities, the only exception is Boca Chica where they run their own range.

Nor did anyone say otherwise so this appears to be a strawman you're building.

The actual point was comparisons with SpaceX are nonsensical because that was Elon FOUNDING essentially an entire industry. There weren't dozens of other private commercial spaceflight companies already in the industry. There was one dropping rockets with high cost and low payload off aircraft and that was about it.
Completely wrong, Elon didn't start a new industry, he entered an existing launch industry, literally said here: "Some launch market analysts, however, questioned the business viability of any firm seeking to enter a meager commercial market already crowded with low-cost Russian rockets."

Falcon 1 was originally going to compete with Pegasus, but that was never Elon's endgame, that's just the first step, a training wheel. Since the start of the SpaceX it's always his intention to build bigger launch vehicles which will compete directly with established players such as Arianespace, Boeing/LM and the Russians. And like I said, claiming Falcon 1 created a new industry makes zero sense since it's retired after 5 launches, Falcon 9 is what made SpaceX successful, and that is a rocket partially funded by government money (for DEVELOPMENT), and compete directly with the offerings from all the established players in the launch industry.

Here it's him buying a 15 year old company that isn't even in the top 10 of its own, super-crowded, industry.
Crowded industry you say, that's literally the exact same thing said about SpaceX in 2002 as I quoted above.

All of which is aside from the point of the OTHER fundamental difference.

Telling a rocket scientist "Hey I want to develop these super advanced and awesome rockets and take humanity multiplanetary--- you wanna work 18 hours a day to make that dream happen?" has a decent chance of getting brilliant people to say YES.

Telling a San Francisco software developer "Hey, I want to let this microblogging website allow you to post longer cat videos--- you wanna work 18 hours a day IN OFFICE ONLY to make that dream happen?" has.... less of such a chance.

Like, a lot less.
And here's more differences: There're a lot more software engineers than rocket engineers (no, they're not called 'rocket scientists', launch vehicle development is engineering, not science), and unlike SpaceX which by law has to hire US citizens or green card holders, Twitter can hire anybody, from anywhere. Let's not forget Tesla has design center in Europe, plans to open one in China, they also have Chinese engineers and managers in Fremont helping out, so if San Francisco software developers think only they can work at Twitter, they're badly mistaken.

The question is not whether Trump will be let back on Twitter. The only unknown is when he will be allowed back. Trump poses a problem for Musk unless Twitter clearly spells out what it feels is legal free speech. Until that written policy is firmed up, Trump won't be on. If he is allowed back without a clear policy, then whatever he tweets will set the standard for everyone else.

Reactions: sunwarriors
The question is not whether Trump will be let back on Twitter. The only unknown is when he will be allowed back. Trump poses a problem for Musk unless Twitter clearly spells out what it feels is legal free speech. Until that written policy is firmed up, Trump won't be on. If he is allowed back without a clear policy, then whatever he tweets will set the standard for everyone else.
Trump will not come back in the next year, even if Elon allows it. Many trumpers have lost big $ investing in DWAC. The only thing keeping that on life support is Trump being basically exclusive on it. It he goes live on Twitter, DWAC drops.

The Military takes raw recruits and tears them down to the basics, then rebuilds them to become soldiers. Perhaps Elon is doing something similar with Twitter. He has an end game he wants to achieve. Getting there will be hard work and challenging, but Elon has show time and time again, that his techniques are effective. Ends up with World Class companies. Cry babies will complain that their cushy and great feeling job has now vanished.

Status
Not open for further replies.