Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sense a blizzard with all the snowflakes around here… Twitter is now a private company, if you don’t like what’s being posted then don’t use that service.
“Snowflakes”…. Love it when people roll up on a forum where there’s give and take and try to shut it down by using demeaning, trite labels.

Tremendous damage is likely. Just in the people that I know who had deliveries coming up very soon. My sister cancelled the day before her delivery and I personally know 3 others who cancelled and one who sold her Model S. All of these lost customers were telling me based on Elon's actions. In the case of two of these people, they are Jewish and cancelled on Elon's meme of him with Trump and Kanye. So, I am one person but I have seen personally 4 lost customers. Imagine the big picture? I invested mostly because of the Tesla Mission. These antics do nothing to help the "Mission"
Sounds like a narrative fallacy ... easier to blame Elon than face your own reality ... and have to explain to you the real reason for cancelling , which the most obvious reason would be $....not Elon ...this is so bizarre , i cannot image doing the HW to buy a vehicle over $50K , an then cancelling based on Musk cleaning up the Twitter *sugar*pile

by this logic all "orange man bad supporters " will be ordering Tesla vehicles today

Yeah, but this is human nature. People WANT to ascribe it to one political party or the other, to fit their narrative, but in the end its just human nature. BOTH sides do it.
Yes, exactly. The point of my post was to call attention to that fact and try to get people to look at how they view, interpret, rationalize or dismiss information based on their viewpoint rather than the merits of the information itself. And you’re right - some people are worse than others but pretty much everyone does it.

Not about the exact %. Obviously about whether or not its a significant group of people and the fact its an unnecessary error.
I personally think its more people than some on this site realize but would love to be wrong..
I went to the main Tesla store this Saturday at peak hour in one the 3 biggest cities in Europe – I'm being intentionnally vague to protect employees – and the store manager said (paraphrasing) "Elon is crazy and making things difficult". Sales are good for now but it's an issue. They've been discussing this the day before the director of sales of a main AMEA region.

That's just an anecdote but 1) I did not mention Elon (so it isn't a salesperson trying to agree with a prospect to make a buck) and 2) I didn't express my opinion (on the matter or anything related to Elon/politics). They only know I don't need a car for the time being and I'm a curious shareholder. I still found the manager professional, attentive and very knowledgeable/helpful.

5A6386D4-CBC0-4935-8166-D6E67972D2AC.jpeg

Like my Starship ink?

It has been working thus far, but what's to stop people who want to spread disinformation from hijacking the tool and posting disinformation in response to factual information?

Online polls are notoriously inaccurate because it's very difficult to get a sample that is a good cross section of the population you want to check. Even if there were few bots participating in the poll, if the news of the poll got circulated among a minority who want to see Trump back on Twitter, that's how the poll will turn out. Even if 90% of the actual humans using Twitter don't want to see him back.

Elon is desperate to get some income flowing in. When Trump was on Twitter he brought in a lot of revenue. He not only had fans following him, but he also had a lot of bots, and because he was president, a lot of people who didn't like him were following him for doom-scrolling purposes. Elon is trying to recapture that revenue, but the world has moved on. Trump is staying on Truth Social because he's the only thing keeping the lights on over there and he has an ownership stake. He has no interest in doing anything that makes someone else money if he can make money doing the same thing.

In warfare Hitler's Germany, Imperial Japan, and Napoleon's France all looked unstoppable at one point, and all lost in the end. The thing that destroyed all of them was biting off more than they could chew. IMO Elon has encountered his Stalingrad/Battle of Midway/Waterloo.

I've learned to rarely be 100% certain about anything. Some pretty weird things have happened in the last decade that never happened before. There is a sliver of a chance that he could pull this off, but I don't see how he does that. I could see all along how Tesla and SpaceX were likely going to establish themselves as solid companies in their sectors. The road had challenges, but the odds of defeating each challenge was at least fair.

Elon has a company that depends on users engaging on a daily basis and advertisers paying for ads to reach those customers. This is one social media site in a crowded market space. It has the reputation for a larger segment of their content producers delivering high quality content. It's been the best source for information on the war in Ukraine for example. There are also a lot of people who do careful analysis of issues of the day and present them. That was Twitter's angle over the competition.

But the quality providers are leaving. In just the last day several of the people I follow about the war in Ukraine have set up Substacks and are transitioning there. They are finding Substack is better for the sort of thing they do.

People who are adrenaline junkies who just want salacious dirt have plenty of options. Some may gravitate back to Twitter if their adrenaline provider is there to get them worked up, but if their provider is on another platform, they will stay there.

I only have a Facebook account because some friends had converted from email to Facebook only. I rarely log in there anymore because it turned into a cesspit and the friends who do still post there just post drivel to tell everyone else they are still alive. I only have a Twitter account to follow some people who are providing high quality information I am seeking. I have posted around half a dozen messages the entire time I've been there.

A large percentage of users on social media platforms are not producing a lot of content, they are following the large content producers. They will ultimately go where their producers go. If Twitter loses a lot of content producers, they will become nonviable. When people change social media platforms, they don't tend to come back.

I'm somewhere between 99% and 99.99% convinced Elon is going to fail with this Twitter venture. If he had gone out and started a social media platform from scratch I would be more optimistic. He's taken on a massive debt and spent a large chunk of his fortune on this venture that is alienating a large chunk of the existing user base on the platform he bought, plus the people paying for it.

For the $20 billion cash he had sitting in the bank at the start of this he could have started a new social media company and built it from the ground up the way he wanted it to look. You can get a start up going very fast for $20 billion.

Like I said, I could see daylight for Tesla and SpaceX as they struggled to become what they are today. They had a lot of hurdles, but there was always a way over the hurdles I could see. Both had unique products with no real quality competitors during their difficult phase. There is nothing of unique quality about Twitter than other forums don't offer in some way. Nothing is exactly like Twitter, but just like a Ford and a Toyota are going to have differences, they both have line ups of ICE cars and trucks that do similar things to one another.

I don't see a way where Twitter has a viable way out of this. Elon has said he wants to create the vision he originally had for x.com. He would have been better off rebooting x.com as a separate thing with none of the legacy of an existing site. I don't see daylight for Twitter long term. Elon may be able to keep it on life support for a while by pouring good money after bad, but I don't see where it will ever be profitable.
Brilliant breakdown as always. Spot on. Thank you for that. What no one thought about, that in the process it became „en Vogue“ to find Elon „uncool“ especially now in the Hollywood and entertainment sector and the infection rate for Tesla is absolutely alarming.
Kanye still make good music, good apparel. But he’s dead.
Loosing half of your supporters comes at a price and it already set in.

Brilliant breakdown as always. Spot on. Thank you for that. What no one thought about, that in the process it became „en Vogue“ to find Elon „uncool“ especially now in the Hollywood and entertainment sector and the infection rate for Tesla is absolutely alarming.
Kanye still make good music, good apparel. But he’s dead.
Loosing half of your supporters comes at a price and it already set in.
I’m not buying a car because Lizzo said they think it’s cool and neither should you.

Some members here: ‘Elon’s huge social media followings are a great asset for Tesla as a form of hugely valuable free marketing”

Those same people: “Elon’s social media posts have no impact on Tesla at all”

Me: Elon's increasingly unhinged social media footprint does have an impact and is damaging TSLA brand right now

I would strongly recommend not doing this.

Its very hard to watch the stock fall if you have significant holdings. I've been buying since 2015, and have long experience of failed attempts to time the market. I'm one of the geniuses who bought on the day of the 'going private' tweet. Fun times...

There is zero way to predict when the market will turn. Maybe Elon is in a meeting right now finalizing the contract for the next twitter CEO? Maybe a drone flyover tomorrow morning will spot 100 finished semis being hosed down and made shiny for an unexpected delivery event bonanza? Maybe the semi specs are way, way better than expected? Maybe the cybertruck specs are better than expected and announced on dec 1st? (with updated reservation numbers).

You have stock in a company run by a CEO with a track record of massive surprises.
A new factory announcement could be any time, a new product could be any time. Someone could leak surprisingly good video of the tesla bot in the factory...

So my summary is: Don't risk it. You have lost 0$ until you sell. Personally, I'm not selling a single share until $225, and not a noticeable amount until $400 (where I'll sell 1/4 my stock, just to give me stability in retirement). I'm seven figures down from my highs in terms of Tesla stock value. Stop staring at the ticker and get something else done. If any of the events I list happen right after you sell, you will hate yourself for it :D.

What if the market values Tesla more and more like the other car makers? What if they see todays PE still too high?
What if the CEO leaves for an app company he buys, sits in the CEO role there, and behaves like an ass ..oonline.

I would have sold half, or 3/4. Set limits to buy back in again. The stock will not run away from you. Seldom more than 7% gains a day.
Then you can see where the price goes, and with cash in hand.

You know what you have, you dont know what youre gonna get.

Some members here: ‘Elon’s huge social media followings are a great asset for Tesla as a form of hugely valuable free marketing”

Those same people: “Elon’s social media posts have no impact on Tesla at all”
That’s not accurate nor honest.

There’s several arguments going on at the same time related to Tesla the company, Tesla the brand, and TSLA the SP. Additionally those arguments stem from the fact one side of the fence wants to blatantly disregard all the good the man has done and value he’s created in the first place. What have you done for me lately, Elon? Everything is Elon’s fault!

Tesla the company is just fine. And you’ll get proof of that, AGAIN, in this next quarter. (Spoiler Alert: record production, records deliveries, record revenue)

Tesla the brand is also just fine. And you’ll get proof of that, AGAIN, in this next quarter. (Spoiler Alert: record production, record deliveries, record revenue)

TSLA the SP is getting kicked in the nuts. But then so is pretty much every ticker, every industry and every country on the planet - arguably some more than others just depending on various metrics.

As a member of TMC longer than 30s, let’s try and act like we’ve been here before - because we have. K?

It has been working thus far, but what's to stop people who want to spread disinformation from hijacking the tool and posting disinformation in response to factual information?

Online polls are notoriously inaccurate because it's very difficult to get a sample that is a good cross section of the population you want to check. Even if there were few bots participating in the poll, if the news of the poll got circulated among a minority who want to see Trump back on Twitter, that's how the poll will turn out. Even if 90% of the actual humans using Twitter don't want to see him back.

Elon is desperate to get some income flowing in. When Trump was on Twitter he brought in a lot of revenue. He not only had fans following him, but he also had a lot of bots, and because he was president, a lot of people who didn't like him were following him for doom-scrolling purposes. Elon is trying to recapture that revenue, but the world has moved on. Trump is staying on Truth Social because he's the only thing keeping the lights on over there and he has an ownership stake. He has no interest in doing anything that makes someone else money if he can make money doing the same thing.

In warfare Hitler's Germany, Imperial Japan, and Napoleon's France all looked unstoppable at one point, and all lost in the end. The thing that destroyed all of them was biting off more than they could chew. IMO Elon has encountered his Stalingrad/Battle of Midway/Waterloo.

I've learned to rarely be 100% certain about anything. Some pretty weird things have happened in the last decade that never happened before. There is a sliver of a chance that he could pull this off, but I don't see how he does that. I could see all along how Tesla and SpaceX were likely going to establish themselves as solid companies in their sectors. The road had challenges, but the odds of defeating each challenge was at least fair.

Elon has a company that depends on users engaging on a daily basis and advertisers paying for ads to reach those customers. This is one social media site in a crowded market space. It has the reputation for a larger segment of their content producers delivering high quality content. It's been the best source for information on the war in Ukraine for example. There are also a lot of people who do careful analysis of issues of the day and present them. That was Twitter's angle over the competition.

But the quality providers are leaving. In just the last day several of the people I follow about the war in Ukraine have set up Substacks and are transitioning there. They are finding Substack is better for the sort of thing they do.

People who are adrenaline junkies who just want salacious dirt have plenty of options. Some may gravitate back to Twitter if their adrenaline provider is there to get them worked up, but if their provider is on another platform, they will stay there.

I only have a Facebook account because some friends had converted from email to Facebook only. I rarely log in there anymore because it turned into a cesspit and the friends who do still post there just post drivel to tell everyone else they are still alive. I only have a Twitter account to follow some people who are providing high quality information I am seeking. I have posted around half a dozen messages the entire time I've been there.

A large percentage of users on social media platforms are not producing a lot of content, they are following the large content producers. They will ultimately go where their producers go. If Twitter loses a lot of content producers, they will become nonviable. When people change social media platforms, they don't tend to come back.

I'm somewhere between 99% and 99.99% convinced Elon is going to fail with this Twitter venture. If he had gone out and started a social media platform from scratch I would be more optimistic. He's taken on a massive debt and spent a large chunk of his fortune on this venture that is alienating a large chunk of the existing user base on the platform he bought, plus the people paying for it.

For the $20 billion cash he had sitting in the bank at the start of this he could have started a new social media company and built it from the ground up the way he wanted it to look. You can get a start up going very fast for $20 billion.

Like I said, I could see daylight for Tesla and SpaceX as they struggled to become what they are today. They had a lot of hurdles, but there was always a way over the hurdles I could see. Both had unique products with no real quality competitors during their difficult phase. There is nothing of unique quality about Twitter than other forums don't offer in some way. Nothing is exactly like Twitter, but just like a Ford and a Toyota are going to have differences, they both have line ups of ICE cars and trucks that do similar things to one another.

I don't see a way where Twitter has a viable way out of this. Elon has said he wants to create the vision he originally had for x.com. He would have been better off rebooting x.com as a separate thing with none of the legacy of an existing site. I don't see daylight for Twitter long term. Elon may be able to keep it on life support for a while by pouring good money after bad, but I don't see where it will ever be profitable.
99-99.9% convinced Elon is going to fail without looking at their current financials, their recent contracts, and what they are working on. A crystal ball is born right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.