Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's quite a bit different. Working on Raptor engines didn't hurt the Tesla brand, turn off customers, and add to the drop in TSLA stock.
You were talking about Musk spending time away from Tesla. You pointed out Key Man risk and his absence. My response related to your actual post.

Now you are trying to change the topic to something else because you don’t like the response and have no valid reply.

yup. He would be the LAST person the banks would sell the debt to. That's like being underwater in a mortgage and then foreclosing and expecting the banks to sell you the upside down mortgage debt back to you so you can get out of it easy and keep your house. doesn't work like that. And the banks don't want to reward Elon for bad leadership... would be a horrible precedent for other deals.
It would be more akin to doing a short sale on an underwater mortgage. If the banks think they are going to lose money and they can get a guarantee of $xx cash on their debt they may be willing to bargain.

🤦

So it’s a mistake you feel he needs to wear for the rest of his life, all the way to his grave? And because you didn’t see him apologize that’s it for you?

So I can assume you’ve sold all your TSLA because someone of your character wouldn’t invest in a company of someone of that character, right? And your continued presence *here* is because, why? I mean, if you’ve said your peace about this person of such horrible judgement and character what more is there for you here? Help me understand the hypocrisy.

I don't own any Tesla shares, never have. And the personal opinions of the CEO of a public company wouldn't stop me investing in that company.

I just wanted to point out to you that deleting a tweet is not a retraction of the tweet so you shouldn't be surprised that people consider it insufficient.

Have you or any of your friends worked directly for Musk at Tesla or SpaceX? If not, you probably can’t make this claim. I do happen to know a handful who have/do work for him in upper management… they all like him. He expects a lot from his peeps… if they don’t like the work ethic expected then they know to move on. Folks at Twitter will learn this soon enough.

Spot on. I'm close friends with a former VP at Tesla. Says he worked hard when there, but Musk was "beyond brilliant" and was one of the greatest learning experiences of his life.

You were talking about Musk spending time away from Tesla. You pointed out Key Man risk and his absence. My response related to your actual post.

Now you are trying to change the topic to something else because you don’t like the response and have no valid reply.
It's a perfectly valid reply, I'm sorry you don't like it. The market didn't react to Elon focusing on SpaceX, probably because they were mostly unaware. The Twitter distraction has obviously gotten quite a bit of press. So unlike working on Raptors for SpaceX the market now sees a publicly distracted Elon who's clearly not focusing on Tesla. I think this reduces the perception of Key Man risk.

It's quite a bit different. Working on Raptor engines didn't hurt the Tesla brand, turn off customers, and add to the drop in TSLA stock.

Actually, if you go back in this forum there was a lot of hand-wringing about Musk being distracted at SpaceX. It's not to the same level as with Twitter, but people have always had trouble grasping how he could successfully juggle multiple leadership roles at these companies.

Just like how ICBM from Russia
The ICBMs were specifically before he started SpaceX! It was after he failed in that, that he decided to start his own company with the goal for low cost space flight (with Mars Colony always being the eventual target). As it relates to the original point (recruiting), most of the employees came at much later stages of the company.

and converting an ICE car to EV was all part of the plan and fully capitalized on?
The ICE conversion (Roadster) you talk about was just a stepping stone that already demonstrated an attractive long range EV was possible. I saw the first one at Tesla's first auto show in SF and that was how I got started with following Tesla. I think it is fair to say it was inspirational to a lot of people here.

And yes it very much was part of the plan as Elon envisioned it (note there were some disagreements with earlier founders that long running forum members are probably aware of)!

There are no similar stories that can be told about this Twitter acquisition, especially considering how much he wanted to back out of it. The mission statement and plan talked about (open townsquare and finance company) were already addressed in other comments.
Elons plans change as problem arises. Due to ad revenue hit and we are facing a recession, his current plans are

1. Reduce cost, do more with less

2. Fix the revenue problem that twitter have lost

3. Add low hanging fruit features and getting rid of annoying features

4. After twitter is no longer a money furnace, then work on future projects

Currently the main feature Musk is bringing to Twitter is less banning. As close to everyone gets a voice and he will moderate the reach of that voice depending on how toxic it is. He doesn't want toxic voices that are gaining popularity even with reach suppression be silenced so they can conjugate somewhere, make up conspiracy about how they are right and the world wants to shut them down and blew even more radicalization through the echo chamber they decided to stay on while everyone else in the echo chamber of similar morals thinking these voices dosent exist gets blind sided. People too quickly dismiss what they find as toxic voices and label them as _______ without asking why these voices exist.
The only long term goal you laid out is less banning, that hardly is inspirational or innovative.

So hold on here, you want to tell me that the ENTIRE drop of TSLA can be attributed to Elon buying Twitter? That Jerome Powell not continuing to be SUPER hawkish, has nothing to do with it? That the FUD articles, which have increased greatly, have nothing to do with it? That other EV stocks ALSO getting CLOBBERED has nothing to do with it? That the known shorting of TSLA by the oil and gas companies (who have RECORD $$$ to spend right now because of high crude oil prices) has nothing to do with it?

I believe Elon's purchase of twitter has had an impact on the stock, but I think it's multivariate and not the bulk contributor.

Who's ignoring reality now?
Stock Performance last month
AMZN -22%
TSLA -22%
NFLX -2%
MSFT +0.76%
AAPL +1.63%
GM +14%
F +15%

Now which of those companies reported excellent earnings results Q3, which meh, and which bad. People like to say well TSLA is down and so is everyone else, but all of those earnings reports were not nearly as good as TSLA and guidance not as good either. Whats different?

It's a perfectly valid reply, I'm sorry you don't like it. The market didn't react to Elon focusing on SpaceX, probably because they were mostly unaware. The Twitter distraction has obviously gotten quite a bit of press. So unlike working on Raptors for SpaceX the market now sees a publicly distracted Elon who's clearly not focusing on Tesla. I think this reduces the perception of Key Man risk.
And no sign that the desperation work at Twitter will end any time soon

This is the Twitter/ Elon thread under TSLA Investor Discussions. In theory this is suppose to be relate to TSLA investing.

This is not a "Venting" thread for random nonsense/ angst about Musk.
There is even a off topic galore thread under this subforum and a Russia/Ukraine thread where the discussion has long ago no longer been as it relates to TSLA. The theory you propose clearly does not apply and this is very much not the first thread to be this case.

And the venting I am talking about is related specifically to Elon's Twitter deal, as well as his Twitter activity. The person I was responding to was telling people to leave and sell their stock, not because the comments weren't about Elon & Twitter, but because they were negative.

Last edited:
AMZN -22%
TSLA -22%
NFLX -2%
MSFT +0.76%
AAPL +1.63%
GM +14%
F +15%

Now which of those companies reported excellent earnings results Q3, which meh, and which bad. People like to say well TSLA is down and so is everyone else, but all of those earnings reports were not nearly as good as TSLA and guidance not as good either. Whats different?

Ahem, which of those stocks constitutes literally ONE HALF of ALL OPTIONS in the entire stock market? Yeah, the level of manipulation is egregous on TSLA.

The manipulators are latching on to Elon and Twitter to push their narrative, but when I look at the BUSINESS, it's healthier than ever.

And for anyone that's been watching TSLA since the early 2010s, this is nothing new, we see these "overblown" reactions to everything (a la 2019 and the stock getting kneecapped on "concerns of bankruptcy").

You guys do what you want, but I've been slowly and quietly increasing my position in TLSA, both in shares and LEAPS. Cheers to the longs!

So here’s the thing; I don’t care what he does outside of the business I’ve invested my money into. Beyond of course heinous, illegal crimes. I care what that SPECIFIC business is doing. And the truth of the matter; Tesla is killing it.

I don’t care about his political opinions or what
Ah but that's the thing... He deleted it but never apologized for it. He continues to reply to and retweet other right wing tropes. He continues to pour fuel on the fire.

he tweets about other than tweets about Tesla. I don’t care if he neglects his 83 children; that’s between him, his babies mothers and the children. I don’t care what his addiction may be anymore than I care what yours is.

The louder you shout, the more irate you become, and certainly the more you exaggerate, the less I believe you have something to say I should hear.
I never shouted.
You seem to be the type that excuses anything at anytime from this wrong behaviour. On top of this your tone is belittling and personal. And you get your facts wrong. Elon never excused anything let alone the Pelosi trash. A new low for him. The last six weeks I see a complete ignorance towards Tesla. To save the megaphone for Trump.

WTF are you up to?

And I'd like some people to be able to handle criticism of Elon without telling people to sell stock and leave the forum. Seems we'll both continue to be disappointed.
Complaining here will not change anything Elon does.

I accepted that Elon wasn't perfect years ago.

IMO what Elon is doing with Twitter should have zero impact on Tesla stock, unless it has proven to impact on demand. Notice I say proven, not assumed.

I do wish Elon's political views would switch back to where they were 3 years ago. But I am also not sure they have a proven net effect on demand.

Even if any of this was proven, it is hard to see how a viable solution could be achieved. Getting Elon to stand down from all duties would be difficult.

Perhaps when Q4 production and deliveries land they will be so dire that everyone will want Elon removed ASAP /s.

Last edited:
Telling people to sell stock and leave the forum for questioning Elon's actions isn't?
That could be saying back up your words with action.

Perhaps some of the recent share sellers have lost faith in Elon.

Perhaps there is some short selling going on.

Perhaps some were scared by the China demand rumours which were unsurprisingly proven false.

When Telsa investors jump at every shadow, they will find that the world is full of shadows.

Complaining here will not change anything Elon does.

I accepted that Elon wasn't perfect years ago.

IMO what Elon is doing with Twitter should have zero impact on Tesla stock, unless it has proven to impact on demand. Notice I say proven, not assumed.

I do wish Elon's political views would switch back to where they were 3 years ago. But I am also not sure they have a proven net effect on demand.

Even if any of this was proven, it is hard to see how a viable solution could be achieved. Getting Elon to stand down from all duties would be difficult.

Perhaps when Q4 production and deliveries land they will be so dire that everyone will want Elon removed ASAP /s.
Musk cannot switch his political views back unless his company is on the brink of bankruptcy and is still this underdog trying to change the industry. Now that he has succeeded, his wealth blew up to the point of being attacked constantly by the anti-billionaires. The guy sold off all possessions, tank company stocks just to pay taxes, and work 120hrs/week and yet he "doesn't pay his fair share" and "his companies only survives on government subsides". Unless Elon gives up 95% of his wealth driving Tesla stock to near zero in the process, that party who used to cheer for him will want nothing but wish everything he has implodes.

AMZN -22%
TSLA -22%
NFLX -2%
MSFT +0.76%
AAPL +1.63%
GM +14%
F +15%

How many high profile FUD stories were published about the other stocks?

I have heard people saying they won’t buy a Tesla because of their distain for Musk...but they tend to be anti ev people to start with. I usually counter by pointing out how evil Henry Ford was and he pales when stacked against Ferdinand Porsche
A friend of mine knows one who deliberately avoided Tesla and bought another brand of EV.

Status
Not open for further replies.