Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
During all of of this, Tim doesn't take the bait and doesn't say anything publicly. It's a 100% clown show from Elon. Nothing about anything he did shows strength or power.
100% agree with all of this.

Elon ranting on Twitter is completely unprofessional and just gives ammo for people who want to take him down.

Unfortunately, now that he owns the joint, his posts need to be purely informational or it will just fuel the fire.

Zuckerberg isn't ranting like a lunatic on fb

It was a public demonstration of power. You either have it or you don't. Looks like Elon has it. (Or else maybe Tim invites everyone over to offer big discounts on their service.) Elon needed this done fast and he made it happen. Bravo.
If Elon had the power wouldn't Tim Cook have visited Twitter?🤔

(Edited below -- Thanks for the clarification)

Exactly, Daniel. This was a public display of power by Tim Cook. Elon got nothing from the visit (at least from what we know) and Tim got him to stop disparaging Apple.

Moreover, it was the good kind of power. Instead of retaliating tit-for-tat (or launching into unfounded Twitter attacks), Tim simply invited Elon for a grown-up face-to-face meeting.

I don't want Elon to stop Elonning, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if a little bit of Tim's public measured calm rubbed off on Elon.

Additionally, in my view, the 30% was always a red herring. I don't think Twitter has ever offered Twitter Blue inside of the app. I have no idea why Twitter would ever have offered Twitter Blue inside the app (unless it didn't want to develop the payment and account infrastructure that Apple had!). It's not really necessary for Twitter, just like it's not really necessary for Amazon to offer Amazon Prime inside of the app (or even to sell Kindle books inside of the Kindle app). Both companies have more than enough Web presence to not have to pay Apple the finder's fee/sales commission.

Last edited:
You good folks who are downvoting the optics posts. Could you please explain yourselves? Do you think that Musk didn't go to Cook? What actually happened was that Cook went to Twitter to meet with Musk and it's fake news? I am truly curious as to what you disagree with.
Musk forced Cook’s hand to meet with him by being outspoken about the situation.

Like it or not, Apple stands to lose more than Musk’s conglomerate and potentially gain a competitor in the smartphone space by removing Twitter from the App Store.

In short:
Musk isn’t locked in with Cook. Cook is locked in with Musk.

Musk forced Cook’s hand to meet with him by being outspoken about the situation.
OK. If that were true, wouldn't Cook have gone to Twitter? I fully concede that none of us were there and don't know what led to what. To me though, if you are asking for something from someone, you go to them hat in hand. You don't expect them to come to you.

So.

Optics.

Exactly, Daniel. This was a public display of power by Tim Cook. Elon got nothing from the visit (at least from what we know) and Tim got him to stop disparaging Apple.

Moreover, it was the good kind of power. Instead of retaliating tit-for-tat (or launching into unfounded Twitter attacks), Tim simply invited Elon for a grown-up face-to-face meeting.

I don't want Elon to stop Elonning, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if a little bit of Tim's public measured calm rubbed off on Elon.

Additionally, in my view, the 30% was always a red herring. I don't think Twitter has ever offered Twitter Blue inside of the app. It's not really necessary for Twitter, just like it's not really necessary for Amazon to offer Amazon Prime inside of the app (or even to sell Kindle books inside of the Kindle app). Both companies have more than enough Web presence to not have to pay Apple the finder's fee/sales commission.
I have Twitter Blue within the app.

Apple would do to Twitter what they did to Parler if they could.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
And Cook acted like an adult and not Veruca Salt
i-want-it-now.gif

Now that Elon seems to have shut down food service at Twitter, it was out. I suppose they could have met somewhere on the peninsula between SF and Cupertino. Oracle HQ (aka "Crystal City") was probably out because Ellison is on Elons side. Facebook HQ probably out because Elon seems to have no love for Zuk, and pulled Tesla off of FB years ago. Maybe it is as simple as Elon wanting to check out Apples new "flying saucer" campus?

It was a public demonstration of power. You either have it or you don't. Looks like Elon has it. (Or else maybe Tim invites everyone over to offer big discounts on their service.) Elon needed this done fast and he made it happen. Bravo.

I'm not aware of Cook giving Elon anything other than an education on the facts vs Elon's misinformation.

Apple has always charged 30% (or 15% to small vendors which isn't Twitter). And that has not changed as far as I know.

Twitter wasn't in imminent danger of being taking out of the Apple store - Elon likely went postal over a very common Apple thing where they warn app vendors that if they violate guidelines they can be banned.

Elon may get to look all strong and manly from his stunt, but i view it as a childish tantrum over nothing that the parent had to patiently sort out so everyone could go about their business.

Honestly, I see the opposite. Everything Elon did regarding Apple all looked like weakness:

1) Accuse Apple of threatening to remove Twitter from the app store, without presenting any evidence.
2) Elon makes the dumbest statement possible about Apple hating free speech because they backed off on ads.
3) Elon @tim_cook twitter handle.
4) Elon shows up at the Apple HQ and then thanks Tim

During all of of this, Tim doesn't take the bait and doesn't say anything publicly. It's a 100% clown show from Elon. Nothing about anything he did shows strength or power.
And don´t forget- still no one from Apple is Twittering ;)

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Status
Not open for further replies.