Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be the change you want to see in Elon and show him some love when he does something you like. It goes a longer way than you think.
Many of us used to do that. I used to defend him left and right in public and online. I cant count how many times I have pushed back on the emerald mine story and all its derivatives including family wealth coming from apartheid, the Tesla using slave labor stories, etc. etc. What did that get us? It got us a massive sugar poster. Got him to start supporting people that would have had no issue Elon family becoming wealthy because of apartheid.

I said the opposite of what you imply I said. I said he is not capable of shutting up even when it's in his own best interest or in the best interest of Twitter or Tesla for him to do so.

This was not your point. Your point was: the only reason people want him to resign from Tesla is because of the media noise 24/7 reporting. What you quote above was my vehement disagreement with your point.

Wow! This might have been a naive pipe dream before Elon took over Twitter but it has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of Twitter after his brief stint of ownership.

Hate Speech’s Rise on Twitter Is Unprecedented, Researchers Find​

Hate speech dramatically surges on Twitter following Elon Musk takeover, new research shows​

etc etc

Letting back in Nazis and white supremacists while kicking off reporters for doing their job and reporting on Elon (no mention of ElonJet) is pretty much the exact opposite of the safe public town square Elon promised before reality smacked him in the face. Kicking off people based on a whim or based on retro-active rules change does not create a safe environment where people feel free to speak their mind without being afraid of saying something that Elon might disagree with. The reality Elon created is the exact opposite of the pipe dream he fed you.

The idea that only left wing extremists dislike hate speech, Nazis, and white supremacists is absurd. Half of Twitter's advertisers have already fled (as of Nov. 26). Maybe the people who run all those companies also need a "reality check" and need to be convinced that bad is good and hate is love.

Ah! The Lucy solution. Even though they lose $.02/bottle, they will make up for it with volume. The highly leveraged buyout saddled Twitter with significant debt that adds about $1B per year in outgo. The number of advertisers has been cut in half which was the major source of income. Elon seems more deranged and erratic by the week.

How on Earth will Elon turn Twitter around from this crash dive so it has any relevance at all in the long term? This question is not entirely rhetorical. If you see any paths to a brighter future for Twitter under Elon's leadership, please share them with us. Selling $3.5B of TSLA every month while Twitter continues to flounder does not benefit Tesla's shareholders.

Elon's pledge without providing any plausible way he can make good on the pledge while at the same time once again selling more TSLA for Twitter is an extraordinarily bad look. It highlights how crippling and disqualifying his inability to shut up really is.

By the time most people become adults they learn the lesson that actions speak louder than words. Musk loses credibility when his empty words are apparently contradicted by his actions. The timing of the sale and his words make it much less likely that concerned shareholders will buy the pie in the sky of his words. It does not matter if the pies are glazed or not.

I knew the whole Twitter thing was going to be a fiasco as soon as it came up last spring. Partly because Elon showed he was utterly clueless about free speech and moderation. But I held out a sliver of hope that he would learn from his mistakes and eventually turn things around. Unfortunately he keeps doubling down on alienating people and telling colossal lies. He refuses to own up to his massive mistakes. This recent combination of pledge and sale shows he is continuing to double down on bluster and is nowhere near learning from his mistakes in a way that will help him turn this mess around.

This old chestnut. It seems Elon is preferentially upsetting one side while placating and catering to the other. Pissing off a large group of people is not a coherent business model for this line of work. It absolutely does not work when your business depends on appealing to a wide audience and to advertisers. The truth is Elon has done the exact opposite of what was in that "safe public square" pipe dream he sold you. Instead of learning from his mistakes Elon has embraced the dark side:
  • anti-science
  • anti-trans
  • anti-free-speech
  • anti-democracy
  • pro-hate
  • pro-antisemitism
  • pro-Nazi
  • pro-white supremacy
  • pro-wacky right wing conspiracies
This looks bad to the vast majority of people, not just to extreme liberals. Again, I would love to hear how this extremism is part of a recipe for Twitter to maintain relevance in the long term. I can back up everything in this list with specific examples based on Elon's words, his actions, and who he is taking advice from.
woof!

Elon Musk was never a liberal, and his plans for Twitter were never benevolent | Thomas Zimmer

Since Elon Musk took over Twitter, he has encouraged far-right conspiracy theories, consistently articulated rightwing extremist ideas and coddled extremists who propagated them, changed or undermined content moderation in a way that allowed hate speech and far-right abuse to flourish, and constantly derided Democrats, liberals and anyone he perceives as part of “the Left” in an escalating crusade against “wokeism.” He is now banning critical voices, including those of mainstream journalists, under obviously disingenuous pretenses.

From a democratic perspective, it’s highly problematic that tech oligarchs like Musk are amassing so much power and influence. They are not democratically controlled in any way or guided by any concern for the public good. Musk is yet another example of how short the path from a certain kind of libertarianism to the far right is, a reminder that this type of libertarianism is driven by a desire for freedom from regulation and criticism of any kind. Musk believes that the world works best if people like him are in charge and get to do as they please, unhampered by regulations or demands for equality – because their interests ought to be the same as humanity’s. It’s an inherently anti-democratic worldview that tracks very well with the reactionary idea that the world should be run by wealthy white men. This is what is pulling these people to the right, and why they eventually gravitate toward autocratic regimes at home and abroad.

-r35pao.png

Elon needs to resign as CEO of Tesla. this is getting embarassing. I went from a proud Tesla owner to be ashamed to own one. my lease expires in 1 year and I wont get another one as long as he is CEO

banning journalists
siding with nazi's
siding with climate deniers
calling Kanye a friend

he has become the ultimate troll and the face of tesla and twitter when he had zilch to do with either company

Wow, such a firm commitment. Lots of egg on my face for thinking several days ago that this poll would not change anything.

Sounds like immediate change is at hand after all. Elon is a man of his word, if nothing else.
this was his plan all along man. don't believe anything he says or does. this poll was rigged and he wanted the results to be this. it's a page out of grift101

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So many things wrong with that. When Bezos bought WaPo:
- Bezos didn't fire 2/3 or more of the WaPo staff
- Bezos didn't eliminate the team responsible for vetting/fact checking WaPo articles
- Bezos didn't have the WaPo publish opinion pieces for trolls and conspiracy theorists

And for any shareholders of Amazon, Bezos didn't go about using the stuff WaPo writes about to damage Amazon's brand image.

Sorry but if the CEO has no say over the product (which is what the tech consists of, because the tech IS the product).

Then said CEO is useless and is just a puppet. If Elon wanted to turn Twitter into tiktok and the CEO can’t stop him then how is he a CEO? All the task you listed is what someone else can do. Example: HR, get a HR manager/director.

The CTO is supposed to implement the vision of the CEO, not the other way around.
Tesla needs Elon at the plant, everyday, during the Cybertruck ramp, like he was with every new model. It’s what differentiates Tesla from, say, Rivian. But it doesn’t look like he’s going to let go of his toy.

I have no doubt that there are people that are exploiting his need for attention by giving him positive reinforcement. People you may not agree with.

People that a whole spectrum may not agree with even.

Consider who’s embracing him and who’s taking every cheap shot at him and put yourself in his shoes. Do you want to surround yourself with people who constantly denigrate you because they’ve been told that’s the virtuous thing to do or with people who either have no opinion of you, like your accomplishments or adore you?

Be the change you want to see in Elon and show him some love when he does something you like. It goes a longer way than you think.
In an earlier post, you stated you're a libertarian, but that seems to be the opposite of what you wrote in the last line, telling people what to do. Although it could have only been a suggestion.

People who are speaking out against Nazism, racism, and those who support them, ARE being the change they want to see in the world. They're standing up against hatred and deciding that they don't want their consumer dollars to support any of these discriminatory and full-of-hatred people.

Status
Not open for further replies.