Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As those who frequent my “Perpetual Roundtable” in the Investor Sector should be aware, I eschew to approximately 100% in my writing (spoken language,too), the misuse of ”they/them/their” to refer to a single person. I find it absolutely natural to write or say “he or she”, “him or her” or “his or hers”. I find it unnatural to say “they” when referring to one person.
Same. Although having to say "he or she" does lead to some interesting slip-ups where the speaker does wish to keep the gender hidden. I've seen this happen in real life. An awards ceremony for a group of people where the sex ratio was more skewed than 80/20 and the only person who could be the winner and is in the 20% or less is just one person. Speaker was doing a pretty good job always saying "he or she" and before he got to announcing the winner, he slipped and said "she" without the "he or" before it. I saw a slight hesitation, an "oh crap" look on his face, followed by "okay well, I guess now you all know who this person is."

Elon cannot relate to his daughter’s gender nonconformity and this has caused a lot of pain for both of them. Unable to understand her perspective, he blames “the libs” for corrupting her with the “woke mind virus” and lashes out against “pronouns” which he views as an enabling mechanism.

Society judges him harshly, even hatefully, not for his beliefs or perceived shortcomings, but for the fact that he lashes out at society, exploiting the obscene excess of power his voice carries to bully a marginalized segment of society.

Yep, the twitter CEO is the problem. In addition to his bad management he stirs up strong political ideas (dare I say Fascist) and hangs out with Jared Kushner and Arab shieks. Of course, the Tesla Board is asleep at the wheel, and that has caused the US Senate Fiduciary committee to send them a letter with some real good questions. A columnist in The Guardian today has some good food for thought: Is Elon Musk going to turn into the same sort of joke that Trump has become? | Arwa Mahdawi

Society judges him harshly, even hatefully, not for his beliefs or perceived shortcomings, but for the fact that he lashes out at society, exploiting the obscene excess of power his voice carries to bully a marginalized segment of society.
A popular non-political British/Canadian YouTube channel added one of their contributors to a Santa's Naughty List that had only a second or two of screen time as a throwaway joke. The other people on the naughty list were:
  • Vladimir Putin
  • Boris Johnson
  • Elon Musk
  • Kim Jong Un
  • Matt Hancock
  • Prince Andrew
At this point it doesn't matter if Elon is right or wrong on these issues. He has needlessly created a massive PR disaster for himself and for the companies he's associated with. Stop digging!

Elon cannot relate to his daughter’s gender nonconformity and this has caused a lot of pain for both of them. Unable to understand her perspective, he blames “the libs” for corrupting her with the “woke mind virus” and lashes out against “pronouns” which he views as an enabling mechanism.

^^ This!!!^^.

To paraphrase Hanlon's razor: "Never ascribe to 69D chess that which can be adequately explained by a Psych 101 level understanding of basic human behaviour!"

I couldn't care less about twitter or Elon's politics but I do love what he had created with Tesla & totally transformed the auto industry. I would hate to see all that be eroded away because of Elon's actions in other areas. That's why I think maybe to save Tesla it will need to be sold. Apple is the only company I could think of big enough and innovative enough to buy it.

I’m 68 and thus Old School. A couple weeks ago I related that a young woman is assisting me in my Sunday school class and that she prefers the gender-neutral “they.” It is weird for me BUT I CAN HANDLE IT. It doesn’t make me “bullied.”
I personally don't understand why pronouns are any different than the "n" word. People who continue to use the "n" word are not particularly welcome in civil society. Are they being bullied .... or are they trying to bully minorities ?

There are many such slurs that we as a society have decided not to use. If someone uses such words, it defines the person using the word than the group they are using it for.

I mean, should we all refer to Elon as a "she" .... will he accept that ?

ps : The bigger question is, of all issues facing us in this world, why is this the most important thing for him to highlight ? Did this happen after his child broke up with him or did they break up because of his attitude.

I personally don't understand why pronouns are any different than the "n" word. People who continue to use the "n" word are not particularly welcome in civil society. Are they being bullied .... or are they trying to bully minorities ?

There are many such slurs that we as a society have decided not to use. If someone uses such words, it defines the person using the word than the group they are using it for.

I mean, should we all refer to Elon as a "she" .... will he accept that ?

ps : The bigger question is, of all issues facing us in this world, why is this the most important thing for him to highlight ? Did this happen after his child broke up with him or did they break up because of his attitude.
You've been around long enough to know one of my lesser mantras: Words Count. Well, in that vein, grammar counts, too. And personal pronouns are one thing; nouns are another. So you're muddling things terribly if you believe what you write: that you don't understand why pronouns are no different from nouns (the "n word."

However, on your postscript we're in absolute agreement. I already revealed - 3 or so of my posts ago - that issue occupies 11,897th place in importance.

You've been around long enough to know one of my lesser mantras: Words Count. Well, in that vein, grammar counts, too. And personal pronouns are one thing; nouns are another. So you're muddling things terribly if you believe what you write: that you don't understand why pronouns are no different from nouns (the "n word."
Same difference - at least as a non-native speaker, conceptually they are very similar.

It’s about identity and slur.

The bigger question is, of all issues facing us in this world, why is this the most important thing for him to highlight ?
Once you understand that the pronouns thing is a notable symptom of Elon's "woke mind virus" fantasy, then it makes more sense as a target.

Once you're committed to the defeat of a delusion as the #1 problem in the world, all else becomes pretty much arbitrary.

I have this picture of a 3yo Elon refusing to eat his vegetables, screaming "WOKE MIND VIRUS" over and over. Any parent can visualize that scene pretty easily.

OK, so kinda bored with the endless debate of pronouns and linguistics.

Can we agree that Elon has no patience for folks who don't align with his particular world view, including his own children, and move on?

Twitter continues to careen along, distracting from the core mission of saving the planet from carbon-fuel disaster and non-renewable resource complaints which have absolutely nothing to do with if we ask someone to refer to someone else as he, her, they or him?

We hope Elon follows thru on his latest questionable promise to "honor" his self inflicted poll to step down from Twitter. I hope he could return to his best work at Tesla and Space-X but that seems over-optimistic given he's tied a large piece of his fortune to his tribal social media tangent.

My best goal is he not only steps down from Twitter, but also from Tesla and retreats to Space-X where I think his very best work happens and he can let those more interested in his original core mission run Tesla.

I challenge ANYONE to continue the claim that Twitter has not been a massive distraction from the mission

A few weeks ago I never could have imagined that the world record for “most Teslas in a single photograph” would be a sad one.

E3A7FBDE-6912-4E30-BBA4-CE3116CA0A81.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.