Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Musk’s flying habits are even worse than I thought. But it’s not just him, many of the wealthy have a disproportionately large carbon footprint.

A private flight every two days, is it the rich version of VanLife?

Elon Musk's private jet emits 132 times the carbon of average American

Elon Musk traveled more by private jet than virtually anyone else in the US last year, according to a report published on Monday by the Institute for Policy Studies and the nonprofit group Patriotic Millionaires.

The climate impact of his travel habits, which included taking a private flight nearly every two days on average, are significant.
Collins said Musk deserves a bit more scrutiny than other billionaire jet-setters because he's attempted to quash watchdogs who've exposed his travel habits.
Shortly after Musk bought Twitter last year, he suspended a Twitter account, @ElonJet, run by a college student who tracked and posted the whereabouts of his private jet, calling the real-time tracking "a physical safety violation." The student, Jack Sweeney, has since created another account, @ElonJetNextDay, which posts delayed updates on Musk's flights.

Musk’s flying habits are even worse than I thought. But it’s not just him, many of the wealthy have a disproportionately large carbon footprint.

A private flight every two days, is it the rich version of VanLife?

Elon Musk's private jet emits 132 times the carbon of average American
It's worse than just the carbon emissions. They're making the rest of us disproportionately pay for the FAA. Private jets account for about 16-17% of flights but pay just 2% of the taxes that fund the FAA. Commercial airlines have a 7.5% tax on airfares that funds the FAA and also pay taxes on jet fuel, but because private planes don't charge fares, they avoid the 7.5% tax and only pay taxes on jet fuel.

Elon just happens to be the worst offender but there are many others in that group that aren't paying their fair share.

This is quite funny. The Right wants to ban drag shows, abortion, teaching the full history of the U.S., trans people, gay marriage, lawmakers who are trans, in a few states the sales of EVs, corporations supporting gay or trans people...what else am I missing?
Basic public health measures. Voting...

• Funny
Reactions: italian bread
One of the woke Queens of the Left was exposed caught lying making anti-Semitic statements. Thanks to Twitter Community notes.

What lies and anti Semitic statements did she make? The creation of Israel did take land from Palestinians and they are currently an oppressed minority in that country. The "Community note" is a lie.
Israeli authorities must dismantle the system of apartheid which is causing so much suffering and bloodshed, Amnesty International said today.

19% of Democrats would vote for Adolph if his last name was Kennedy. A lot of Republicans said they would vote for DeSantis until he started making major gaffes. Once RJK Jr. gets some publicity, his polling will fall even farther that Ralph's has.

The name itself holds little sway. Better brand recognition than, say, “Smith.”
But Kennedys haven’t been an important force in politics for decades.
Most of this whacko’s support will come from the cadre of vax deniers Twitter is helping grow.

Last edited:
1683120784600.png

Where is the Community Note on Kevin McCarthy's post pointing out that the people in Washington DC and Puerto Rico still have no equal representation in Congress?

DC will never happen. That would take a constitutional amendment, as the status of DC is laid out clearly in the Constitution, and they will never get a 2/3 majority on that.

PR should be a state, they have a larger population than some existing states. If you have ever visited PR, the infrastructure is piss-poor compared to the mainland, and corruption is far more widespread than it should be. Statehood could help this, at least in part.

• Informative
Reactions: philw1776
Lol

Going to bet if either one dies first, it'll be Twitter.
The idea that Twitter will ever replace Youtube is a joke. I have a Youtube channel and I'd never think about replacing it with Twitter. First of all, most of the people who want to watch my videos do so because they're looking for a certain type of content (specifically, Disney shows and rides). Second, the vast majority of watchers find my videos with the Youtube search function or recommendations after watching one video they previously found via the same or another means. I have subscribers who are interested in this content although the vast majority (> 90%) of people who watch my videos are not subscribers at all but simply land there via recommendations or direct searches.

But what did Twitter just do? Oh yeah, they just disabled the search function for anyone not logged in. Genius! And they would want me to pay to have my videos recommended to other people. Why should I do that? I run the channel mostly as a hobby (but it's also useful for sharing videos with friends and family members). I don't really care if only 10 people find it useful or 10000000 find it useful. And I sure as hell will never pay Elon or even put a single video on a site where he could decide tomorrow that he wants my handle or that 3 of my videos violate some made up rule in a sort of ex post facto law where there's no due process and he's legislature, judge, and jury.

DC will never happen. That would take a constitutional amendment, as the status of DC is laid out clearly in the Constitution, and they will never get a 2/3 majority on that.

PR should be a state, they have a larger population than some existing states. If you have ever visited PR, the infrastructure is piss-poor compared to the mainland, and corruption is far more widespread than it should be. Statehood could help this, at least in part.

I'm glad to hear you would support Puerto Rico statehood. (Hawaii became a state in 1959.)

However, why "never" to DC statehood? It has a larger population than 2 other states.

The position that it requires a change in the Constitution (and 67 votes in the Senate instead of 60 or 51 with the filibuster removed),
is not "clear", it's just the position of mostly the Republican Party. So I'm going to quote a FoxNews article on that (but there are of course others like it):

Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution calls for the creation of a federal district to be the seat of government. The Founders carved D.C. out of two states, Maryland and Virginia, so no single state would have undue influence, hosting the capital.

However, the legislation would carve out a capital city district, a special political subdivision, around the White House, government buildings, the national mall and U.S. Capitol. That would be all that was left of the “District of Columbia.”

A specific bill for statehood has already passed the House. The reason it would fail in the Senate is described in the FoxNews article this way:
The bill is presumed to be dead on arrival in the Senate. Republicans are unlikely to be motivated to support such a plan as it would almost certainly guarantee an additional Democratic House member and, more significantly, two Democratic senators.

(If it passes without a change in the Constitution, it may come to the Supreme Court. However even 67 votes doesn't seem completely impossible since it would most likely get almost all Democratic votes.)

So this appears to be mostly the self-interest of "winning", and contradict the claimed "dedicat[ion] to the proposition that we are all equal", which was my point. And a reason why in theory there could be a "Community Note". Not that I would expect that in the current Twitter environment.

Last edited:
It would not take a constitutional amendment. DC used to be bigger and part of it was retroceded to VA:

Dcmapanimated.gif

It would take a constitutional amendment to eliminate DC entirely but no proposal actually does that. All proposals either retrocede the remaining parts of it where people actually live (except for the POTUS and family) to MD, or would turn those parts of it into a new state. But DC would remain, and would consist of the federal buildings, Capitol Mall, museums, etc. The Constitution does say that Congress has the power "To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards and other needful Buildings".

So it specifies that Congress has the authority, but not the obligation, to create a federal district. And also as importantly, it does not specify the size of the district, just a maximum size (and by the way, it looks like either Congress exceeded its authority because DC is currently over 65 square miles or the writers of the Constitution used piss-poor terminology and should have specified a maximum land area of 100 mi^2 instead of saying "ten miles square" which is kind of ambiguous). But anyway, read the full Constitution and note the lack of a constitutional amendment authorizing the VA retrocession.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and bkp_duke
Status
Not open for further replies.